cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This A Managed Payments Invitation?

I opened my eBay account this morning to check it, as I do most mornings.

I had an "update your account message".

The entire point of the message was that eBay would now take their fees before We got our proceeds.

I glanced at it & tapped, "later" or whatever.

Now, I can't find the message.

Was this the dreaded invite to Managed Payments?

Before anyone jumps on me, we do not plan on participating as sellers in this.

Our reasoning is, of course we are not using our primary checking account because that would just be not smart.

We are small sellers & just dealing with a new bank & all of the minimum balances, fees & extra bookkeeping are just not going to be worth the time.

We really enjoyed eBay at one time, but have agreed that when we got the "invite", it would be the universe telling us it was time to stop.

How much longer will we be allowed to list?

Do I double down & list what I can right away? 

Will my PayPal account be "unhooked"?

When? 

Not that it should surprise me, but it did, why The subterfuge? 

"Update my account?"

That seems sneaky. Is MP really so awful that it can't be named in any fashion? 

There was not even a mention that this would change the entire payment system.

Why play "gotcha?"

Now I can't even find the message. 

I need help with this and Any is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is This A Managed Payments Invitation?

That is not an 'invite'; you will know it when you are 'invited' and told to submit various information. 

Although you've already decided to bail, opening a 'different' account at your same bank can be done on line at most banks and for bookkeeping purposes, it is actually MUCH easier to look at 1 account for nothing but 'business/selling' numbers.

And now that 1099's will go out when you reach $600 in sales, you will need it, probably already for this year as PP will also issue you a 1099 if you exceeded that new amount. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

That is not an 'invite'; you will know it when you are 'invited' and told to submit various information. 

Although you've already decided to bail, opening a 'different' account at your same bank can be done on line at most banks and for bookkeeping purposes, it is actually MUCH easier to look at 1 account for nothing but 'business/selling' numbers.

And now that 1099's will go out when you reach $600 in sales, you will need it, probably already for this year as PP will also issue you a 1099 if you exceeded that new amount. 

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

You would also receive an email for your Managed Payment invitation.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Wow! ! That was not ntended to be an accepted solution. 

I was trying to reply.

Thank you for your reply.

We had a B&m clothing store.

Business & personal checking accounts.

The mistakes were endless.

Depsits to wrong account constantly.

At that time, we were good accounts, only took a few phone calls to straighten things out, bouwithdraals 

Not doing that again.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Sorry, one of my latest eBay issues is my iPad can go crazy, erase everything & not let me post.

that was, we could fix overdrafts with phone call.

Pretty sure now we don't rate that attention any more.

Repeat, We have dealt with banks a lot.

Do not have enough hours (right now, anyway) to sell & deal with banks.

My biggest issues are how long do I have left to list?

Do they "unhook" PayPal?

Can my things stay listed, as I have read?

How do I accept payment? 

Is this an invitation? If so, why so sneaky? 

Ian still buy with PayPal? Right? 

My partner seems to think this is a scam.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Here's how I found out:  

On Wednesday morning, April 14, 2021, when I opened the Selling Overview page for my selling ID, just above the picture of my most recent unsold item and the title "Relist It" was a title, "Payments", and a brief message:  "Getting paid on eBay has changed"  and below that, in a smaller type, the phrase:  "Update your account details now to ensure there is no interruption to your selling."   Glancing to the right edge of the screen, I saw a box that say "Update details."   

Clicking on "Update details" I had to fill in very few additional details.  Yes, eBay now has the last four digits of my social security number.   (OMG !!)   One part of this process connected me to my bank's website,  to make changes to my checking account to help the whole Managed Payments process run smoothly.  

No gold-plated invitation.  No bells, balloons, sirens, or flowers.  Presto:  I am now In Managed Payments.  

I hope I am not living in a fool's paradise NOT to be worried about Managed Payments for my very limited eBay presence.   BTW, I will keep my PayPal account open, and will use it to pay for things I buy on eBay.  

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Thank you, we will check.

Sad to say, with the massive amount of emails, particularly from eBay, we don't pay attention.

That was a help!

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@lindyslucky wrote:

we do not plan on participating as sellers in this.

Our reasoning is, of course we are not using our primary checking account because that would just be not smart. We are small sellers & just dealing with a new bank & all of the minimum balances, fees & extra bookkeeping are just not going to be worth the time.

If using your primary checking account is an issue, don't use it. Reputable banks like Capital One offer free online checking accounts with no minimum balance and no fees. You can set one up in minutes. 

Not sure I understand what you mean by "extra bookkeeping". I switched four accounts from PayPal to Managed Payments last year, and the bookkeeping effort is essentially the same.  

@lindyslucky wrote:

I glanced at it & tapped, "later" or whatever.

Not that it should surprise me, but it did, why The subterfuge? 

"Update my account?"

That seems sneaky. Is MP really so awful that it can't be named in any fashion? 

There was not even a mention that this would change the entire payment system.

Why play "gotcha?"

You say you only "glanced" at it, but your recall about exactly what details it contained and omitted is astounding!

@lindyslucky wrote:

Now, I can't find the message.

Have you made sure you have filtered your inbox to "all" instead of "unread"?

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

My experience was exactly what monroe67 posted.

Dont see an email.

I recall few details as I didn't click on "update details".

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Thank you! Exactly! 

Not in messages, not email.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

And thank you, I was mostly thinking of local banks, 

But, if/when I have time I will check it out! 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

They did the same to me after I listed 200 items and now I guess I'd be stuck.. Called them to delete all my listings and they refused....So I have to delete them or deny to ship any and all purchases because I'm not giving them my SS# , or back account # and that ain't any bodies business but mine.  Way I'm reading it we do all the work listing the item and providing the item and if they decide to pay us they will and of course if they get hacked we loose all our important info to the black web... I'm too old for this **bleep**  I'm just going to cancel any sales... makes no difference because after 2500 sales of 100% feedback.. I don't give a **bleep** if I get four or five red marks... I'm done with eBay.  Sad too it used to be fun.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Right it was not an INVITE it was a statement of fact.  I had 200 items listed and I'm trying to get them all cancelled and eBay won't help with that either... I am not happy.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@tdebuys wrote:

They did the same to me after I listed 200 items and now I guess I'd be stuck.. Called them to delete all my listings and they refused....So I have to delete them or deny to ship any and all purchases because I'm not giving them my SS# , or back account # and that ain't any bodies business but mine.  Way I'm reading it we do all the work listing the item and providing the item and if they decide to pay us they will and of course if they get hacked we loose all our important info to the black web... I'm too old for this **bleep**  I'm just going to cancel any sales... makes no difference because after 2500 sales of 100% feedback.. I don't give a **bleep** if I get four or five red marks... I'm done with eBay.  Sad too it used to be fun.

Why would you ask eBay to cancel your listings? You've been here 20 years, and you can't figure out how to cancel a listing?

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@lindyslucky wrote:

I had an "update your account message".

If you had a message to update your account, it's probably time to sign up for Managed Payments.

If you don't, how long before they remove your listings, when they decide to block them and start removing them.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 31
latest reply