cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is No PayPal possible?

Just curious...Not that I would entertain such a dumb idea but will eBay let us only accept money orders and such mailed to us (sellers).  then we ship the item once payment is received?

I know dumb ?? but just curious.

Message 1 of 244
latest reply
243 REPLIES 243

Re: Is No PayPal possible?

wrote:

One of the biggest exodus of buyers happened when paypal became mandatory. To this day ebay has never recovered from that blunder in business judgement...

The opposite for me.  I started buying more expensive items when sellers started taking paypal...

Even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O.... even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O. and nothing else... there were plenty of sellers here (the majority) accepting PayPal.  I don't know why anyone couldn't buy the more expensive items without eBay running off all the buyers... and sellers... who wouldn't use PayPal.

Missed a lot of ultra rare merchandise that came up on the auction block. A lot of the rare is now gone...

As are many of the sellers who sell it.

Blaming eBay for the change in the Internet is a pathetic cop-out ...

Message 16 of 244
latest reply

I prefer using PayPal and PayPal Credit.  I started buying more once those options were put in place.  I am not a seller.  Every time I contemplate becoming a seller, eBay changes something and I decide they would be a pain to deal with.

Message 17 of 244
latest reply

There would be no buyers without eBay's MBG.  There would be no MBG without a provable electronic payment method.

Buyers will leave in droves once the new no buyer protection and no seller protection (and no access to sellers, either) cheap payment service - in which eBay is invested - takes over processing payments.

FACT is, buyers LOVE PayPal which, not incidentally, operates under auspices of the USFDIC that provides pass-through insurance for all client funds, unlike foreign payment processors who are an unknown quantity!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 18 of 244
latest reply

Missed a lot of ultra rare merchandise that came up on the auction block. A lot of the rare is now gone...

Blaming eBay for the change in the Internet is a pathetic cop-out ..

Actually Bubbleman is correct.  

I had 5 favorite sellers on ebay.  They sold unbelievably fine diamond and gold jewelry - true auction .99.  They listed the same day and time each week, and I would sit by my computer to win what I could.  I bought some things that I could never duplicate today.

And that is because 3 of them left ebay.  And with the other 2 they have downgraded their jewely to the point that they are hardly recognizable anymore. 

Message 19 of 244
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

Ebay has made it too hard on the lower class by requiring paypal, many of whom are credit/bank challenged. It's been over 5 years since my last question about taking checks/Money Orders, ebay drove them all away.   

Fiddlesticks! PayPal is one of the few electronic payment services that can be used by people that have NO credit card and even NO bank account. All they have to do is sell something on eBay or have somebody (friend/relative) use "send money" to stock their PayPal account.

Message 20 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Just curious...Not that I would entertain such a dumb idea but will eBay let us only accept money orders and such mailed to us (sellers).  then we ship the item once payment is received?

I know dumb ?? but just curious.

The new payment process system will include Paypal --- and Merchant Credit Cards --- all handled through Adyen

PayPal and credit card is what we have right now... it will include more than that (Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc.), which is a good thing.

But I wouldn't take any bets that it will support checks and M.O., so old school coin collectors and antique collectors/dealers will still probably avoid eBay. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 21 of 244
latest reply

The "change in the Internet"?  Did the Internet ban checks or something, and I missed it?

I was getting 50% checks and M.O. one week (and yes, I was offering PayPal on very single listing), I was getting no checks... and no bids from those buyers... the next.  Blaming the loss of those buyers on "the Internet" is... well... incorrect.

Message 22 of 244
latest reply

There would be no buyers without eBay's MBG.

So... exactly where was all that merchandise going prior to 2008?  Wait... let me guess... "the Internet" was buying it?

Buyers will leave in droves once the new no buyer protection and no seller protection (and no access to sellers, either) cheap payment service - in which eBay is invested - takes over processing payments.

Do you know something we don't?  I didn't hear the MBG was going anywhere.  And there's no seller protection now.  It's going to be no different than now, except that there will be options available to buyers beside PayPal and credit card processed by PayPal. 

If there are any "access to sellers" issues, that's not Adyen's fault, buyer-seller communication is remaining eBay's baby. 

eBay isn't "invested" in Adyen, eBay was (and continues to be by "agreement")invested in PayPal.  You got that backwards.  Adyen processes payments for Etsy, that system works smoothly.  If there're issues, and I fully expect there will be, they will be caused by eBay acting as the "intermediator". 

FACT is, buyers LOVE PayPal...

There won't be anything stopping them from using PayPal, and there will still be the PayPal 180-days-same-as-never-paid Buyer Protection, and there will still be eBay MBG. 

A lot of eBay buyers may love PayPal, I won't dispute that,  but over on the other venue my buyers check out by paying with something besides PayPal about 90% of the time.  And I'm a buyer, btw, and I do not love PayPal.

Message 23 of 244
latest reply

But where do you insert the chip? Or do I still swipe my card for now?
Message 24 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

One of the biggest exodus of buyers happened when paypal became mandatory. To this day ebay has never recovered from that blunder in business judgement...

The opposite for me.  I started buying more expensive items when sellers started taking paypal...

Even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O.... even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O. and nothing else... there were plenty of sellers here (the majority) accepting PayPal.  I don't know why anyone couldn't buy the more expensive items without eBay running off all the buyers... and sellers... who wouldn't use PayPal.

We're not blaming eBay for changing the internet. We're blaming eBay for shooting itself and it's sellers in the foot by not allowing MO's as payment in an attempt to grow Paypal's bottom line by trying to force Paypal on all users and therefore driving away tons of buyers who refuse to use Paypal. Those buyers, instead, told eBay to go pound sand and that they would leave eBay rather than set up a Paypal account, which is EXACTLY what they did. Try to keep up.

Message 25 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

Ebay has made it too hard on the lower class by requiring paypal, many of whom are credit/bank challenged. It's been over 5 years since my last question about taking checks/Money Orders, ebay drove them all away.   

Fiddlesticks! PayPal is one of the few electronic payment services that can be used by people that have NO credit card and even NO bank account. All they have to do is sell something on eBay or have somebody (friend/relative) use "send money" to stock their PayPal account.

When I opened my paypal account to start selling it had to be linked to a bank account. I doubt that has changed since. Nobody is going to go through the hassle of having a friend fund their paypal account and that still doesn't address paypals spending limits. Why not allow those who wish to pay with paper do so? I'm not talking about allowing sellers to demand it, just buyers to do it. Ebay drove away buyers when they eliminated MO's. Those are the facts.

Message 26 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This is so true. Many of the "General public" type Buyers have now gone to other sites to buy. Still remaining here of course are the hard core collectors and other serious buyers.

But people who just buy for the fun of it have moved onto other sites. 

For example, when I can't sell something here, even after several weeks of trying, I give it to my wife who sells it on Listia...

....her sell-through rate is 100% on my left overs.

Not kidding, now of course she only collects credit, but Everything I give her sells. Stuff that you can't even sell for $1 here will sell for $5 or $10 on listia.

I still get them occasionally. I got one in the last month. With all the booby traps set by eBay about off site sales and exchanging contact info now, I think my standard answer is just going to be no from now on 100% of the time. I envision it being way too much hassle to get it done to save $5 in paypal fees. 

I still do too, only my standard answer is 'Yes I do - always have, always will'.

Nobody can say that sellers left because of the Paypal thing vs the DSRs and seller purge policy that Ebay put in around the same time. Remember sellers getting kicked off Ebay with no buyer cases and 100% feedback? Remember sellers getting removed because they were DSR bombed by competitors?

There were a whole bunch of really bad changes made around the same time. I'm not sure we can blame all or indeed any of the exodus on Paypal.

Message 28 of 244
latest reply

Back before 2008 most of the people on Ebay were collectors and sellers. The scammers hadn't overwhelmed the site yet. Every single day there were dozens of heartbreaking stories from buyers who had bought things and been ripped off. They complained and were negged. It was a crapshoot. Buyers were leaving too. There are only so many collectors around, you're not going to replace them with millenials, so they needed protection.

I've purchased two items this year so far that were listed by scammers. I thank Ebay for the MBG even though I didn't end up having to use it. Buyers can buy on many other places. They have credit card protection. Without a safe secure site buyers would leave.

Message 29 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

Nobody can say that sellers left because of the Paypal thing vs the DSRs and seller purge policy that Ebay put in around the same time. Remember sellers getting kicked off Ebay with no buyer cases and 100% feedback? Remember sellers getting removed because they were DSR bombed by competitors?

There were a whole bunch of really bad changes made around the same time. I'm not sure we can blame all or indeed any of the exodus on Paypal.

Oh I'm pretty sure we can blame some of the buyer exodus on making paypal mandatory by default. I can guarantee you there are people who will not do financial transactions of any kind with electronic payments. Remove the option for MO's and they leave. Nobody is saying those who want the MGB can't have it and nobody is saying you can't use paypal if you choose. What is being said though, by eBay, is that if you wish to pay by check or MO you are not welcome here, go elsewhere. It's one of the dumbest things they have done.

Message 30 of 244
latest reply