cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International INR shipped through ebay Who refunds?

Got an INR dispute from a buyer in Spain a couple days ago. This item was shipped Aug 23 through ebay delivery services. I'm wondering who is responsible for issuing a refund, ebay or me? Never had one of these before, thanks for any info

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: International INR shipped through ebay Who refunds?

@harborauction 

It's not really a "change", eBay International Shipping is a replacement for the old Global Shipping Program (run by Pitney-Bowes), GSP itself was done away with over time and completely ended in September.

eBay International Standard was a new offering (about 3 or 4 years ago), basically eBay reselling for DHL Global Mail,  by all reports it was not a great service in terms of delivery speed or price (lower than USPS of course) but it does include $100 of insurance against loss.

File claims here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-standar...

The new eBay International Shipping has it's own set of quirks and restrictions, slightly cheaper than USPS direct but no bargain, delivery times as reported on this board are not great. Combined orders are a pain (workaround is possible), an odd unpublished list of restricted items.

On the other hand it currently offers the very best Seller Protection that eBay has EVER offered. Once your package reaches the hub you are completely covered against any type of claim, not received, not as describe, remorse returns etc. 99.9% of the time the seller keep the money, eBay refunds buyers and/or disposes of the items. In addition the International Fee of 1.65% is waived.

EIS is designed for those that do not ship internationally, either because of fear of issues or from previous bad experiences. For sellers such as you and I who have always shipped Internationally ourselves there are better options out there than using USPS, there are quite a few resellers of these services, you could have a look at PirateShip or easyShip, maybe even "local" consolidators/logistics companies based at Sea-Tac.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@harborauction wrote:

Got an INR dispute from a buyer in Spain a couple days ago. This item was shipped Aug 23 through ebay delivery services. I'm wondering who is responsible for issuing a refund, ebay or me? Never had one of these before, thanks for any info

Which eBay service did you use? I looked a a couple of your listings and they all offered direct shipping via USPS.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If eBay handled the shipping, they too handle the insurance and refund.  Did you ship it their shipping center? That would have been a US address.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Tracking just says "ebay delivery services" with an ESUS number, maybe before they changed the name of this service? I ship all International through ebay

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Yes this shipment went through ebay shipping, City Of Industry Ca. Got to Madrid and sat in Customs for over a Month

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@harborauction wrote:

Tracking just says "ebay delivery services" with an ESUS number, maybe before they changed the name of this service? I ship all International through ebay

That sounds like eBay International Standard which is a completely different service than the similarly named EIS (eBay International Shipping).

For International Standard the seller is responsible for any and all refunds for non-delivery. For EIS eBay handles all refunds for INR claims.

If you ship "all International through eBay" why do your listings show that you ship internationally using USPS?

For clarity, please provide the Listing Number for this particular transaction.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Item #325698829534 & yes it shows USPS First Class International, used to ship that way and never bothered to change it I guess, don't really think buyers care what the verbage says, they just want their item

Anyway, this was shipped through ebay Aug 23 whatever they called the service at that time and I guess the question is when did they change from "ebay International Standard" to "ebay international shipping", first I pay, last ebay pays?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@harborauction 

It's not really a "change", eBay International Shipping is a replacement for the old Global Shipping Program (run by Pitney-Bowes), GSP itself was done away with over time and completely ended in September.

eBay International Standard was a new offering (about 3 or 4 years ago), basically eBay reselling for DHL Global Mail,  by all reports it was not a great service in terms of delivery speed or price (lower than USPS of course) but it does include $100 of insurance against loss.

File claims here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-standar...

The new eBay International Shipping has it's own set of quirks and restrictions, slightly cheaper than USPS direct but no bargain, delivery times as reported on this board are not great. Combined orders are a pain (workaround is possible), an odd unpublished list of restricted items.

On the other hand it currently offers the very best Seller Protection that eBay has EVER offered. Once your package reaches the hub you are completely covered against any type of claim, not received, not as describe, remorse returns etc. 99.9% of the time the seller keep the money, eBay refunds buyers and/or disposes of the items. In addition the International Fee of 1.65% is waived.

EIS is designed for those that do not ship internationally, either because of fear of issues or from previous bad experiences. For sellers such as you and I who have always shipped Internationally ourselves there are better options out there than using USPS, there are quite a few resellers of these services, you could have a look at PirateShip or easyShip, maybe even "local" consolidators/logistics companies based at Sea-Tac.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@harborauction wrote:

Item #325698829534 & yes it shows USPS First Class International, used to ship that way and never bothered to change it I guess, don't really think buyers care what the verbage says, they just want their item

Anyway, this was shipped through ebay Aug 23 whatever they called the service at that time and I guess the question is when did they change from "ebay International Standard" to "ebay international shipping", first I pay, last ebay pays?

Are you shipping to EIS in Illinois or Los Angeles?

or are you shipping directly (you fill out customs form etc.)? 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

That's not true; those that use EIS know that:

a.) eBay refunds the buyer out of their pocket and SELLER keeps the sale/money

b.) Seller doesn't have to mess with any Customs forms. 

c.) Seller is NOT responsible for lost/slow delivery as long as it gets the US hub (and is shipped within time seller has set up)

d.) any feedback regarding lost or slow delivery can easily be removed (just ask)

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hey, thanks so much for the link regarding insurance on "ebay international standard" looks like I may be reimbursed if I have to refund this deal.

As for other options I'll likely stick with ebay, sounds like the protections are great & I actually make a couple bucks on the deal, I charge $20 for international shipping of coins & medals & usually costs $13-$15

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I read thru a number of responses and I was surprised that you shipped eBay international when you offered USPS first class international. 

I do not know, but I would think that if you did not offer the eBay international shipping, all of the information would not be available to have charged the appropriate shipping from you to the hub and the hub to the customer and being stuck in customs would possibly be because duties had not been paid or missing information.  

I have never shipped eBay international when USPS was selected so I don't know for sure, but you might be on the hook for this since it's kind of an odd way to use the service.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply