cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Buyer Claims Item Not Received But Tracking Shows Delivered

Hello!

I have an international buyer from Germany claiming they haven't recieved their package when the tracking shows it was delivered 3 days ago. I advised them to ask their post offer or post master about the package. They claimed the post office "didn't even know" the tracking number, nor had ever heard of it.  They also said the PO keeps advising them to talk to contact me about the package. So far they haven't opened an INR case, but I'm at a loss at how to assit them. 

The item they purchased was a one of a kind, so I can't send a replacement. Also the package wasn't insured and was shipped with tracking via USPS First Class International. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: International Buyer Claims Item Not Received But Tracking Shows Delivered

@bunnis_boutique wrote:

Now the buyer has opened a case against me. What’s the best route here? I know eBay is supposed to back me, but should I call them to get the case ruled in my favor?

@bunnis_boutique

No sense calling. eBay won't do anything about it until the dispute has run it's course. (That's arecent change -- they no longer will go in and close out disputes/cases on demand.)

If buyer has opened an INR request, make sure you upload the Tracking # directly into the Request (doesn't matter if the number shows up in the transaction record already - you have to respond *to the Request* by providing the Tracking Info).   You have only three full business days in which to do this. 

If you send the buyer any messages from now on in, make sure those are also done inside the Request not through regular eBay Messaging (or off-site vie email, text, or phone).

After three full business days have elapsed, you can escalate, either online or by calling eBay.  Or, you can wait for the buyer to do so.   Either way, if you have provided valid Tracking info and the Tracking info shows delivered, the case should be decided in your favor.

HTH

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I wouldn't do anything.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

There's not much you can do. eBay or PayPal should protect you in this case. Was it shipped to a freight forwarder or did you ship directly to the customer?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I shipped it directly to the customer. I thought so too, I have no idea what to even tell the customer at this point.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Give them the standard answer:  "I'm sorry you are having problems locating your delivery.  The tracking history shows the item was delivered on <insert info here>.  Please check with your delivery person, the local office and with your neighbors to see if they can help you locate the package."

DO NOT give them any sort of a refund in this case, all you are expected to do is be polite.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Just a note:  First class International does NOT have a tracking number.  It is actually a Customs number which works much as a tracking only while it within the US borders.  Found that out the hard way last week with a package we'd sent which has gone missing.

I was also told by the USPS that as such, they rely on the honesty of the recipient as to whether these parcels are received or not. 

It is entirely possible the package got to the buyer's post office and was "appropriated" by someone (not the buyer).  That might explain why there was a scan. 

We've learned not to send 1st class International even if the buyer wants it.  Can't insure, doesn't track, goes walk-about more often than not, and eBay won't/can't aid the seller.

~M

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@terrycanarsky wrote:

Just a note:  First class International does NOT have a tracking number.  It is actually a Customs number which works much as a tracking only while it within the US borders.  Found that out the hard way last week with a package we'd sent which has gone missing.

Not accurate information. Tracking for First Class International Packages is available to some countries and that would include Germany.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Then I stand corrected.  I was, after all, only stating what USPS told me over the phone.

~M

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Now the buyer has opened a case against me. What’s the best route here? I know eBay is supposed to back me, but should I call them to get the case ruled in my favor?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@bunnis_boutique wrote:

First thing is to enter the tracking number into the case.

@bunnis_boutique wrote:

@bunnis_boutique

No sense calling. eBay won't do anything about it until the dispute has run it's course. (That's arecent change -- they no longer will go in and close out disputes/cases on demand.)

If buyer has opened an INR request, make sure you upload the Tracking # directly into the Request (doesn't matter if the number shows up in the transaction record already - you have to respond *to the Request* by providing the Tracking Info).   You have only three full business days in which to do this. 

If you send the buyer any messages from now on in, make sure those are also done inside the Request not through regular eBay Messaging (or off-site vie email, text, or phone).

After three full business days have elapsed, you can escalate, either online or by calling eBay.  Or, you can wait for the buyer to do so.   Either way, if you have provided valid Tracking info and the Tracking info shows delivered, the case should be decided in your favor.

HTH

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

You have to be very careful sending items first class to a international destination.   We try to discourage the first class international.   We have had trouble from time to time getting first class to some international spots.  Best regards

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@bunnis_boutique wrote:

@bunnis_boutique

I got a case closed on the phone just 4 days ago, so that may not be accurate.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@paulhua3 wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@bunnis_boutique wrote:

@bunnis_boutique

I got a case closed on the phone just 4 days ago, so that may not be accurate.

@paulhua3

At what stage was your dispute? 

If three full business days had elapsed since a case was opened, then you can either call or close it online.   Before, or at the Return Request stage, or before the case has run its course, CS Reps will no longer decide/close a case in either the buyer's or seller's favor according to Trinton.   There's been several threads about this in the past month where Trinton has affirmed that it's a recent change and now is the current policy/procedure.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply