cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual State tax records

Anybody know if there is a way to find out as a seller the sales tax breakdown that was Collected / paid to individual states . Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can print out a Transaction Report and it will show this information.  You will have to sort this information and extract what you want. Are you skilled at using a Spreadsheet?

Also if you print out the Order Details  for each sale you would have this information. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

And that info will only show what was collected from the buyer, not what was paid to the states. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

You can print out a Transaction Report and it will show this information.  You will have to sort this information and extract what you want. Are you skilled at using a Spreadsheet?

Also if you print out the Order Details  for each sale you would have this information. 

Thanks , I was trying to avoid having to print every order detail . I thought they had a breakdown somewhere .

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

And that info will only show what was collected from the buyer, not what was paid to the states. 

They would be the same would they not? At least as far as the amount collected for each State, there are small amounts that the eBay as the collector would be able to deduct before remitting but eBay would still be reporting the full amount to each individual State.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Maybe a better question at this point is "Why do you need to know?"   Maybe that'll help with answers.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Maybe a better question at this point is "Why do you need to know?"   Maybe that'll help with answers.

If they are Registered to collect Sales Tax in their own State (or possibly other States) they may need this information in order to file their reports (reporting requirements vary by State).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Because I live in Michigan . According to Michigan if items are held and sold in Michigan I'm obligated to pay sales tax on them . So I'm trying to find the Michigan to Michigan sales that Ebay charged the buyers the tax so I don't have to pay tax on orders that Michigan tax was already paid. Ebay use to have a report that had the totals of the tax that was collected by states. Either I can't find it or they don't do that anymore.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Because I live in Michigan . According to Michigan if items are held and sold in Michigan I'm obligated to pay sales tax on them . So I'm trying to find the Michigan to Michigan sales that Ebay charged the buyers the tax so I don't have to pay tax on orders that Michigan tax was already paid. Ebay use to have a report that had the totals of the tax that was collected by states. Either I can't find it or they don't do that anymore.

I am in Nevada with the "same" requirement.

EXCEPT the sales tax was collected by eBay not you. In Nevada I do NOT have to list any eBay sales to a Nevada resident if eBay collected the tax since eBay will be filing the tax reports. When I file I list all of the  eBay sales as Tax Exempt since I do not owe the tax. Now, if I sell something on my independent site with eBay being involved I do have to pay that.

But you may be worrying about a non-issue.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@rosszonebricks wrote:

EXCEPT the sales tax was collected by eBay not you. In Nevada I do NOT have to list any eBay sales to a Nevada resident if eBay collected the tax since eBay will be filing the tax reports. When I file I list all of the  eBay sales as Tax Exempt since I do not owe the tax. Now, if I sell something on my independent site with eBay being involved I do have to pay that.

According to Michigan law if I sell you in Nevada (or any other state ,country etc.) a $10 item on Ebay I owe Michigan 6% sales tax on that item. If someone in Michigan buys an item from me Ebay charges the tax and remits it to Michigan . So I'm trying to find my Michigan sales that tax was paid by the buyer in Michigan so I'm not paying tax on that item  that tax  was already collected on Michigan's behalf .  

For example

$1000 total amount of orders I owe Michigan $60.

If $500 of those were Michigan to Michigan sales Ebay already collected the tax on them.

So I owe them sales tax on $500.

I'll just have to print the order details and minus them off of there . I thought they did a sales tax report that showed the tax that was collected for individual states .

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@rosszonebricks wrote:

According to Michigan law if I sell you in Nevada (or any other state ,country etc.) a $10 item on Ebay I owe Michigan 6% sales tax on that item. If someone in Michigan buys an item from me Ebay charges the tax and remits it to Michigan . So I'm trying to find my Michigan sales that tax was paid by the buyer in Michigan so I'm not paying tax on that item  that tax  was already collected on Michigan's behalf .  

For example

$1000 total amount of orders I owe Michigan $60.

If $500 of those were Michigan to Michigan sales Ebay already collected the tax on them.

So I owe them sales tax on $500.

I'll just have to print the order details and minus them off of there . I thought they did a sales tax report that showed the tax that was collected for individual states .

@solidguitar1961 just so you know, that is FAR from correct. A Seller does NOT owe the State of ANYWHERE 'sales tax' for an item that a Michigan Seller SOLD to someone in Nevada (or anywhere else). 

What you NEED to do (same as California) is include ALL GROSS Sales and then under the line that says 'Exported' (or something similar)- which basically means:

Items sold to ANOTHER state, then you would total up.

For instance, my Sales Tax to Cali report would like (basically) like this

Gross Sales $140,000

'Exported Sales' $135000

Net $5000

I owed Sales Tax on that $5000

I did this for over 10 years. And...it's AGAINST THE LAW for ANY state to ALLOW you to COLLECT sales tax from someone on 'another state' and basically, that is ALL you are doing. Collecting from 'fellow' Michigan folks, and Passing it on to the State of Michigan. 

By the way, you can do a 'detailed report for the entire year, it comes as an Excel sheet, and 'sort' by state, then there is a line shown for 'taxes' collected; you can 'pick out' the Michigan and show That Amount 'collected by others'.  

Or...just take that info, with the 'report' that you need to file, and go to the nearest 'sales tax' office and have a sit down. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

" AGAINST THE LAW for ANY state to ALLOW you to COLLECT sales tax from someone on 'another state' and basically, that is ALL you are doing. "

I'm not collecting the tax , but I owe it .

Message 12 of 12
latest reply