cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incandescent light bulbs - some are still legal to sell, and eBay should do the right thing - fix it

The new laws concerning incandescent light bulbs contain exemptions - for example, appliance bulbs (there are no fluorescent or LED replacements for oven bulbs, because anything other than an incandescent can not stand the heat) also colored light bulbs, sizes such as G12.5 and R14 are still legal, so are the prefocus base bulbs, used on top of TV and Radio antenna towers. I sell all of these, and need to be able to relist them and/or change the quantity available. This is impossible right now, we get that red warning and can't do anything. It is not right for eBay to ban legal incandescent light bulbs. I am an honest man trying to make an honest living. I took down all the illegal bulbs voluntarily. I am a lighting expert, and volunteered to help eBay sort out what is legal and what is not. They did not take advantage of my expertise - which is worth $120.00 / hr. - and which I offered to help for free. Time to make things work for honest sellers. I have been on eBay for over 18 years, 100% positive, and have over 40 years experience in the lighting industry. I am usually in the top 100K in customer satisfaction. I should be heard, and I should be helped, I have earned it and I deserve it. I am 69 and this is how I make my living, selling light bulbs, I am too old to change, and have too much invested, too legit to quit. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Incandescent light bulbs - some are still legal to sell, and eBay should do the right thing - fix it

time to move on or retire 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I feel for ya 100%, but eBay just doesnt care, from what I can see, they have decided that they want to be recognised as the most woke, far left, P2P  marketplace. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@kyaccessories wrote:

I feel for ya 100%, but eBay just doesnt care, from what I can see, they have decided that they want to be recognised as the most woke, far left, P2P  marketplace. 

What is your understanding of what the term 'woke' means?

To the OP: Since Ebay is removing listings for bulbs that are not actually banned then this would be the time to set up your own selling operation on your own site (or maybe Amazon?). You will become known as the source for bulbs that are not available on Ebay.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@giulrocc73 wrote:

time to move on or retire 

If I knew as much about light bulbs as the OP and could make $120/hr like the OP can make enlightening people about light bulbs , I don't think I would ever retire!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

The problem is that would take better programming. Ebay employees can’t program themselves out of a paper bag. 

I also had some “legal” incandescent bulbs listed and ebay removed them. 

For me since i didn’t have a lot of them and I deemed it not worth the hassle to fight this with ebay, I packed them up and donated them to Habitat for Humanity. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

ebay struggled with understanding that ivory switch and outlet covers were not actually made out of elephant tusks, being able to differentiate the subtle difference in incandescent light bulbs is well above ebay's abilities.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I find it interesting what ebay takes seriously and what they do not.

Pill presses mainly used for the production of illicit drugs  yea, sure go ahead,

Laser pointers that can burn a hole through a 2x4, OK

Incandescent light bulbs, high flow shower heads, and gas cans that you can actually pour out of   absolutely not!!

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Don’t confuse eBay policy with laws that govern our American society. eBay appears to have specifically banned the sale of incandescent light bulbs as well as halogen light bulbs on its platform. See policy below:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/electronic-equipment-policy?id=4302

The above policy is vague enough to be confusing. But it is essentially this—although there may be styles of these bulbs that fall into the exemption list from the Department of Energy, not everything legal is allowed to be listed on eBay, by eBay.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

If I don't kill at least 1 baby seal every time I turn on a light switch, I feel like the room is still dark......

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I know more than a few people who have been stocking up on  incandescent light bulbs because of what those bulbs can do that led bulbs can't, and they are afraid they won't be able to find any soon.  Some people I know use them to place near a certain pipe in a part of their basement that is prone to freezing on the coldest of nights.  I have a good friend who keeps one inside a homemade little wooden cat house on his back porch to keep it warm enough inside to shelter any wandering stray cats that might be looking for a place to survive on one of those nights when it's well below zero. I know someone else who used to keep a low wattage incandescent bulb on top of the screen lid that was on top of his pet boa constrictor's tank to make sure the snake could climb up the branch inside the tank and snuggle up close to the light if it got cold. I remember someone a long time ago who told me that there are people with eye problems who complain that led bulbs bother their eyes. I wonder how Thomas Edison would feel about this.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

ebay struggled with understanding that ivory switch and outlet covers were not actually made out of elephant tusks, being able to differentiate the subtle difference in incandescent light bulbs is well above ebay's abilities.

I'm sure they could find a way to differentiate, but the cost to figure it out, implement and maintain it would probably cost far more than they would get in FVFs on incandescent light bulbs. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

@bashort wrote:

I'm sure they could find a way to differentiate, but the cost to figure it out, implement and maintain it would probably cost far more than they would get in FVFs on incandescent light bulbs. 

The big problem is that the same incandescent bulb that would be allowed to be used in a oven or refrigerator  could actually be screwed right into any light socket and used for general purpose lighting by some devious person, the resulting damage that could result is simply to big of a risk  to take.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@bashort wrote:
The big problem is that the same incandescent bulb that would be allowed to be used in a oven or refrigerator  could actually be screwed right into any light socket and used for general purpose lighting by some devious person, the resulting damage that could result is simply to big of a risk  to take.

Oh the horror! 😁

The popularity of incandescent bulbs seems to boil down to the heat that they emit - which in some cases is more useful than the light they emit.

Im happy to be rid of them in installations where I need a lot of light but where a 100w incandescent basically cooks its socket over time. In some cases like ovens there is no substitute. Our new fridge uses LED lighting but our new oven has that good old incandescent inside for obvious reasons.

Something I noticed over the years: we built our new house in 1998 so we had a house full of new incandescent bulbs that all went into service at the same time. In the first few years we were replacing burned out bulbs at a steady rate. But in later years the rate of replacement went way down. Although we still have incandescents in many places I cannot honestly remember when it was that I last replaced one.

My theory is that quality control could only do so much about incandescent bulb life so some would blow out sooner than others - and so now we have evolved into a house of bulbs that are lasting even longer than expected. All the short-life ones burned out long ago.

Im also not a fan of the new LEDs because even though they are much better at color balance and various shades of lighting (Daylight, Cool White, Soft White, ect.) they have their own quality control issues - such as flickering when overboosted due to a transformer in the base thats putting out too high of a voltage. First World problems I guess.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Hardly! Twenty second programming change…that’s it. They just can’t be bothered it seems. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply