cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incandescent light bulbs - some are still legal to sell, and eBay should do the right thing - fix it

The new laws concerning incandescent light bulbs contain exemptions - for example, appliance bulbs (there are no fluorescent or LED replacements for oven bulbs, because anything other than an incandescent can not stand the heat) also colored light bulbs, sizes such as G12.5 and R14 are still legal, so are the prefocus base bulbs, used on top of TV and Radio antenna towers. I sell all of these, and need to be able to relist them and/or change the quantity available. This is impossible right now, we get that red warning and can't do anything. It is not right for eBay to ban legal incandescent light bulbs. I am an honest man trying to make an honest living. I took down all the illegal bulbs voluntarily. I am a lighting expert, and volunteered to help eBay sort out what is legal and what is not. They did not take advantage of my expertise - which is worth $120.00 / hr. - and which I offered to help for free. Time to make things work for honest sellers. I have been on eBay for over 18 years, 100% positive, and have over 40 years experience in the lighting industry. I am usually in the top 100K in customer satisfaction. I should be heard, and I should be helped, I have earned it and I deserve it. I am 69 and this is how I make my living, selling light bulbs, I am too old to change, and have too much invested, too legit to quit. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Incandescent light bulbs - some are still legal to sell, and eBay should do the right thing - fi

The problem is eBay’s inability to enforce the laws on their site. They want to take the easy road and just blanket ban items instead of adjusting their filters to allow items still legal to sell. It’s a lazy approach to business that ultimately costs both eBay and sellers money. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Incandescent light bulbs - some are still legal to sell, and eBay should do the right thing - fi

The goal of most Ebay enforcement of laws and regulations is to protect Ebay from seller initiated violations and negative PR.

The software bots succeed much of the time.

The economic impact of taking down some perfectly legal items is low, and minimizes the success of sellers who are deliberately acting improperly.

All successful Internet marketplaces are too big to handle most exceptions to enforcement. Expecting that is to ask to be disappointed.

When any of us has sold long enough on any marketplace, we have encountered at least  one or another of these injustices.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

So would it be legal to sell 100 Watt glass encased space heaters that screw into a E26 base?

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Who would have thought one day weed would be allowed and light bulbs would be banned?   The bulb sniffing dogs will be busy.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Who would have thought one day weed would be allowed and light bulbs would be banned?   The bulb sniffing dogs will be busy.

Yea, they will just drive the incandescent bulb market underground where the cartels will make billions supplying the US with its light bulbs

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@johnson_junk_company wrote:

Hardly! Twenty second programming change…that’s it. They just can’t be bothered it seems. 

You're forgetting the 12-18 months of weekly meetings to discuss scope, set up various focus groups, call in consultants etc. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply