cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Managed Payments is to be fully implemented by 2021 requiring ALL Sellers to be enrolled. Among several Items that will NOT be allowed in te Managed Payment System, are, Coins & Paper Money, Motor Vehicles, and Bullion. Obviously, if sellers can't sell them, then there won'tbe any listed to purchase.... Dahh!

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

Re: In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

I spoke with someone at eBay and he confirmed that your idea (and mine) to list a bunch of coins would not allow me to avoid becoming a managed payments seller. Sellers who sell coins on over 50% of their listings will not be forced or even allowed to join managed payments until eBay can allow coins to be paid thru managed payments. They will be permitted to continue selling coins and being paid via PAYpal. But us small sellers who only occasionally sell coins will be out in the cold. A seller must be SELLING (not simply listing) at least 50% of their revenue in coins to qualify as a non MP seller. This sucks! 

Message 121 of 259
latest reply

Re: In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

It has to do with selling wine and state laws.   With managed payments Ebay plans to take their cut out of the sale, hold the money for a few days and then deposit whats left over to your account.   This is not legal under current laws, at least not in CA, for wine sales.   The entity that holds the license with the ABC has to be in control of the sale, the law specifically covers the situation ebay is implementing and the law prohibits it.    For that reason we luck out.  

I feel for everyone having to deal with what they are doing, its too bad what ebay has become.  

Message 122 of 259
latest reply

@aabalat_fine_and_rare_wines wrote:

It has to do with selling wine and state laws.   With managed payments Ebay plans to take their cut out of the sale, hold the money for a few days and then deposit whats left over to your account.   This is not legal under current laws, at least not in CA, for wine sales.   The entity that holds the license with the ABC has to be in control of the sale, the law specifically covers the situation ebay is implementing and the law prohibits it.    For that reason we luck out.  

I feel for everyone having to deal with what they are doing, its too bad what ebay has become.  

That isn't how it works.  True that like all other selling sites that have their own money processing, Ebay will be taking selling fees out of the money received from our buyers before they transfer it to our bank accounts.  There is nothing unusual in this and ever single similar site to eBay that has their own money processing has been doing this for years.

As for the rest, that could be part of why they aren't ready for sellers in your category yet, as well as a few others.  In time they will likely get it all figured out and then you will be in Mp with the rest of us, but it is likely next year for that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 123 of 259
latest reply

If ebay has bought third party e-commerce site already for 2 Billion, plans are to implement this new paying receiving of money. Name is everywhere. Company bought. 

PayPal is a no no! How long ago was PayPal prohibited.?

These companies are all interlated, lord knows how its set up! 

If I was down 23% in 2020 don't think I'd be changing everything unless they legally have to.

Everywhere I read, ebay, depending on topic, will give me different information. 

So what are you all doing? Merchant services, paying the fees from ebay. Sales tax ebay shows on invoice in our names. Ever who's name is related to sale is responsible for paying that sales tax. 

Lot of knows. Guide me. As all I can see is selling limit caps raised, your paying more, the fees do not include shipping charge getting to customer. 

What's that? I've sold 8 years and have never seen anything like the last several years. Promo fees.....we trying to be Amazon? 

The fees are high anyway, add 5-7% more into fees for b promote items, pay 30 cents flat fee per transcribed. Given high cost of shipping, where is it figured in at?  Its not. Matter of fact just read invoices which offers by ebay was to help buyer and seller. Just read charge for invoice above postal fees. Heck they get commercial postage rates. So make money on avg seller. 

You all I started rereading this info and thought this is **bleep**. SO WE GET SERVICE FOR POSTAGE, GET MERCHANT ACCOUNT FOR PAYMENTS TO ME AS A SELLER. HECK ISN'T BUILDING MY OWN WEBSITE ECOMMERCE WEBSITE. 

HUSBAND JUST HAD SITE MADE THIS PAST YEAR. GREAT RESULTS.

OTHER THAN PAYING FOR GOOGLE ADS, ANALYTICS, IF YOU ADD ALL THIS UP TOTAL. ANNUALIZE OVER 10 YR PERIOD, FEES BE LESS THAN 13% BEFORE SHIPPING.

KRMIDKIFF
Message 124 of 259
latest reply

@tricolordog2012 

If ebay has bought third party e-commerce site already for 2 Billion, plans are to implement this new paying receiving of money. Name is everywhere. Company bought. 

I don't know what it is you are trying to say here.

PayPal is a no no! How long ago was PayPal prohibited.?

This is incorrect.  As Ebay moves more and more sellers into MP, the sellers won't be able to receive payments into their own PP accounts on Ebay sales, but buyers are free to pay with PP if they want.  Ebay has a new contract to ensure this that last through 2023.

These companies are all interlated, lord knows how its set up! 

WHAT?

If I was down 23% in 2020 don't think I'd be changing everything unless they legally have to.

Sorry to hear your sales are down.  Hopefully that will change for you soon.  As to MP, if Ebay tells you that you are moving into MP, you have a choice to make.  You can register for MP and continue to sell on Ebay or you can refuse and then at some point in the future Ebay will not allow you to list new items on the site.

Everywhere I read, ebay, depending on topic, will give me different information. 

You are correct, there is a lot of mixed information out there.  More so from other members rather than from Ebay.  But you are right, it can be more than difficult to find the truth.

So what are you all doing? Merchant services, paying the fees from ebay.

I'm not sure what this is?  Merchant services doesn't pay fees from Ebay.  Ebay pays to process credit card payments [merchant services].  In the same way that PayPal pays the fees on credit card payments.  This is partly why there has to be a fee for money processing to cover the costs of being a money processor while still having a little for expenses and profit.

Sales tax ebay shows on invoice in our names. Ever who's name is related to sale is responsible for paying that sales tax. 

That changed in 2018 with a Supreme Court decision.  That is why we have MFLs now which Ebay must comply with.

Lot of knows. Guide me. As all I can see is selling limit caps raised, your paying more, the fees do not include shipping charge getting to customer. 

Well that is good news if you got your selling limit raised.  Hopefully that will help you increase your sales.  What fees are we paying more for?  MP is not a fee increase for most sellers going into MP.  It is more a lateral move or maybe a little bit of savings overall.

What's that? I've sold 8 years and have never seen anything like the last several years. Promo fees.....we trying to be Amazon?  The fees are high anyway, add 5-7% more into fees for b promote items, pay 30 cents flat fee per transcribed. 

Promotional fees are OPTIONAL.  You have the choice whether to promo listings or not.  For me, I never use promo listings.

Given high cost of shipping, where is it figured in at?

This isn't for Ebay to figure out for you.  That is the seller's responsibility to make sure they are covered for the costs of shipping.  No one but the seller is responsible for this.

Message 125 of 259
latest reply

It's really interesting to watch the cancer that invades every corporation take place, this same cancer slowly took Yahoo down for those of you who have been around since its creation... But it's not entirely an outside force either, almost like a side-effect of the big corporation eating its own hand to survive...

I am sad to see ebay motors go, however it also isn't what it used to be... Nothing but dealers now, very few private sellers and it's tough to get a good price selling here, used not to be that way at all. There is absolutely no buyer protection, also sellers can't require payment, it's really more of a classified section than anything else and sadder still is most of these so-called "dealers" *USE* our bids as "permission" to send spam.

It's almost like they have no intention of selling the actual vehicle, of course they'd never admit it but the whole process reeks of a "email collection for a fee scheme" since all they do is email me incessantly, sometimes I don't even bid I was just looking!

There are a few of what I would consider reputable, legitimate dealers but their prices tend to be really high and they're selling rare collector's and even exotic cars, something most of us can't afford... There are few choices in ways of affordable cars, then you have a whole selection of "barn finds" like I really want to pay 8 thousand dollars for a rusty frame that barely is held together by bailing wire just because someone thinks a 1956 Thunderbird fully restored would be worth 80 thousand as if everyone out there's buying them because they just so happen to have spare cash laying around...

And yes I do realize a truly restored 1956 Thunderbird would in fact be worth something...

Sorry I got carried away, and it is sad because ebay motors used to be ebay's "anchor," at one point ebay motors pulled more sales than the entire rest of the web site, in short ebay motors WAS ebay... But things have changed, they're not the only kid on the block auctioning cars anymore.

I suppose they will still be selling parts for cars.

Message 126 of 259
latest reply

There goes my thriving bouillon business.

bullion.jpeg

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 127 of 259
latest reply

Hello, I just read your reply here and I'm finding myself in the same position of not being able to sell coins on eBay.  I'm curious what other platform you're using to sell?  I'm looking elsewhere as well.  Thanks in advance.

Message 128 of 259
latest reply

They do realize people mostly use this site for collectibles, right? EBay you aren't Amazon quit trying to be. Stay in your lane.

Message 129 of 259
latest reply

@afoolisharrangement wrote:

Hello, I just read your reply here and I'm finding myself in the same position of not being able to sell coins on eBay.  I'm curious what other platform you're using to sell?  I'm looking elsewhere as well.  Thanks in advance.

It is against the rules to tell you of other than eBay.

Message 130 of 259
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@afoolisharrangement wrote:

It is against the rules to tell you of other than eBay.

it isn't against the rules to name other sites, it is against the rules to encourage someone to sell on other sites.

They can Google it and get all the info they need.

Message 131 of 259
latest reply

Just find a different venue and sell those items there.  

Message 132 of 259
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

Just find a different venue and sell those items there.  

This is such an over reaction.  Ebay has repeatedly said for sellers that historically and continually post in any of these categories that MP does not support, Ebay will NOT move those sellers into MP.  These sellers are free to sell on Ebay has they have done in the past and use PP as their money processor.  There is no need for anyone to go anywhere else at this time.

Message 133 of 259
latest reply

soon there wont be any payment method outside of ebay. You could always do a payment using local pickup but if you list these things while in managed payments the listing will be removed and possibly your ability to sell on ebay for breaking policy.

Message 134 of 259
latest reply

ebay doesn't allow merchant accounts anymore to my knowledge. And it will be a violation to list the items. They said in the future they will add some categories that are not currently allowed in managed payment. So hopefully they add the ones you need back. But as for right now they will just remove listings for these items.

Message 135 of 259
latest reply