cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you think eBay is going to fail, why not just move on?

I am definitely not happy about new changes on eBay as far as the selling tools go.  That is something that needs to be addressed.  But if I was done with eBay, why would I waste anymore time with it? Just a thought as I continue to see posts like "I'm done withe eBay!"  or "eBay is sinking! Get off the ship while you can!"   Everyone has to go out guns blazing.  There are other selling platforms out there.  We utilize a few, and do what works best for us.  If any of the platforms don't work for us (Posh for instance), we just move on. 

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: If you think eBay is going to fail, why not just move on?

@donnydne wrote:

Not sure about failure, but they treat sellers like scum. They are as bad, if not worse then the scammers that rip us off on a regular basis. And most, after ebay screws them over too many times, do move on.  I think it's a matter of how many times you are willing to allow them to stick it to you.

@donnydne 

Yet here you are, selling and thriving on Ebay.  It is beyond difficult if not impossible for a company the size of Ebay to make every single seller happy.  Sure there are things that could improve in my opinion.  And my set of concerns might be different than yours.  The guy around the corner may have a completely different opinion than either of us have and so on and so on.  

There are 19 million sellers.  They will not all be happy with the rules of Ebay at the same time.  That just isn't going to happen.  What you feel may need to change may not work for someone else and what they think may make things better might not work for you at all.

We are a mixed bag of wants and needs, while be a diverse group of people for all walks of life.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 86
latest reply

I see no problem in complaining if you're upset. You've invested a lot of time and expectations on Ebay, why not make a big fuss about it if you are annoyed by a continuum of changes that are not changes for the benefit of selling here? 

In reality you yourself are complaining about the people who complain 🙂 you could decide just to move along and not read those threads, right?

Or... maybe you're trying to convince yourself Ebay is still great? It's not great any more. 

(edited: a few typos, sorry.)

Message 47 of 86
latest reply

While Ebay may not work for everyone, there are still a whole lot of sellers, millions of them, that Ebay works fine for.  As in any job I have ever had in my life, it certainly isn't perfect or without issues.  But overall I still make money here as millions do as well.  So it is a worthwhile place to sell for many.

Message 48 of 86
latest reply

As said earlier, you can't please all the people all the time, so its best to just please yourself and decide what works and does not work for you.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 49 of 86
latest reply

My problem is not knowing what a good alternative is that has a comparably sized audience that doesn't charge exorbitant fees (not the at fees here are good nowadays either)?

Message 50 of 86
latest reply

Thats not why people post here, to just recruit each other to quit.

Its discussing the problems here and hopefully sometimes putting out ideas and possible remedies to the problems.  Often people describe what things they did that worked for them in a certain instance.  Its a knowledge base.  Its history sharing. Its venting.  Its people complaining they dont like what people are posting here.  We got it all right here.  We hope some ebay people come by and agree with some of our issues and solutions and that they might just someday change course for the better of ebay, and everyone who buys and sells here.

Message 51 of 86
latest reply

I HATE BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

I encourage all other sellers here to stop eating them.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 52 of 86
latest reply

My problem is not knowing what a good alternative is

Well AZ is bigger, but the site competes with its sellers and fees are higher.

Etsy doesn't support manufactured goods like your mass market tees and videos. It does support custom tees and vintage media. I believe the fees are also higher.

FaceBook Marketplace is local, for the most part and uses time wasting local pickup. The process of selling, invoicing, and getting paid is annoying. But there are no fees yet and you can get paid in cash. Ditto Craigslist and Kijiji and Used.ca (and its ilk).

We used to use a specialty hobby site run by the American Philatelic Society, but since you are not a stamp dealer that doesn't help. You may find a hobby site that caters to your interests and product lines.

EBay is definitely #2 after Amazon, but it focusses on sellers rather than on selling. 

Message 53 of 86
latest reply

Well ebay also is competing with its sellers as well via larger brand sellers.

They are able to make deals with big brands to sell inventory here and give them better deals than they do smaller sellers.  They let these larger sellers have access to smaller sellers data to actively compete against the smaller sellers who are doing well, we don't get access to other sellers sales data to try to see what is hot and try to compete  against them that way.

Message 54 of 86
latest reply

And….there it is again.

Some of us are paid Ebay plants.

You got me.

***looks for check in mailbox***

Message 55 of 86
latest reply

I'm actually not sure what all the fuss is about.  I mean, I only sell new and used clothing and I'm not a big time seller so maybe this isn't effecting me.  The comments are giving me some concern though.  Should I be concerned?  Am I missing something?

Message 56 of 86
latest reply

@restyleluv wrote:

I'm actually not sure what all the fuss is about.  I mean, I only sell new and used clothing and I'm not a big time seller so maybe this isn't effecting me.  The comments are giving me some concern though.  Should I be concerned?  Am I missing something?

It happens a few times a year.  Ebay does something that someone doesn't like and then they come to the boards to predict their demise because of it.  You can be sure that these predictions will happen again next year, the year after that, the year after that and so on.

There were predictions of Ebay's demise back in 2008 when they took away seller's rights to leave negative or neutral FB for buyers.  Again in 2012 when they brought PayPal on board as our money processor.  2019 when they changed to only two kinds of listings, auctions or GTC [good till cancelled].  In 2020 it was because of Managed Payments, in 2021 it was a combination of MP and the change in the 1099K form.  And many other things in between.

So it happens all the time.  Try not to buy into it.  It simply how some react to various different things that they don't like.

Message 57 of 86
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I HATE BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

They are much better if you slice them thin and stir fry them with butter, mushrooms, broccoli, and garlic.

Message 58 of 86
latest reply

@paulhua3 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I HATE BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

They are much better if you slice them thin and stir fry them with butter, mushrooms, broccoli, and garlic.

YES.  I also like to add sliced zucchini and I pan fry them till they are good and brown.  Yummy stuff.  And don't be scared to add that fresh garlic.  Lots of it.

Message 59 of 86
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh 

While they have the policy eBay does actually take stuff from suggestions and you can even submit them on that page.  You just won't get an answer, nor do you have any IP rights etc.  It does not state you cannot submit one.

They even take stuff proposed by people on this forum and some of them have been implemented.  

Message 60 of 86
latest reply