cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you sell clothing here ...

Do you keep track of what's happening in the clothing market outside of eBay? Here's part of an interesting article about H&M, the second-largest clothing seller on the planet:

"Despite a series of widespread markdowns, clothing chain H&M is struggling to sell off $4 billion in extra merchandise — including months-old Halloween costumes and Christmas sweaters — as changing consumer tastes and increasing competition take their toll on the Swedish retailer.

Millennials are growing up and are more interested in buying well-made clothes than in buying cheap items. There is also more competition from companies like Zara, Topshop, Uniqlo and Asos — all of which customers tend to associate with higher-quality clothing and better websites

Millennials are looking for quality over quantity, which means they no longer want throwaway products,” Pedraza said. “They care less about fashion and more about classic and quality, neither of which H&M has been able to deliver.”

In the most recent quarter, H&M said inventory rose 7 percent to a record $4 billion. On Tuesday, the company’s website was promoting “further markdowns up to 70 percent off.” Many items were clearly months old: Halloween-themed T-shirts were selling for $3.99, while infants’ Santa outfits were discounted to $4.99.

Excess inventory has plagued a number of traditional retailers in recent years, as customers increasingly shop online and look to start-ups for more unique clothing.

Company executives, meanwhile, say they’re planning further discounts in the second quarter, as they look to turn around H&M’s business. The company is also preparing to introduce an “off-price marketplace,” called Afound, that will sell discounted items by H&M, as well as other brands."

So you're not only competing against the thousands of other clothing sellers on eBay, you're also fighting a tidal wave of deeply discounted products from multi-billion dollar companies.

Do you still think it's a good idea to compete in that market?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: If you sell clothing here ...

I think cheap clothes are a bad idea unless they're trendy pretty pieces that people want to keep short term. There's a place for that. I raised my 20 something daughter to shop places like TJMaxx for quality on a budget. She likes Kate Spade, Hilfiger and other designers who create well made timeless and pretty clothes. If you look after them they last well beyond cheapie juniors clothing and look better too. Her company is business casual in a large city but you'll be just as likely to see her in a dress as jeans and a nice top. She's dressing up for the level she wants.

That said, I would never suggest she buy the really expensive high end designers like boutique Ralph Lauren because she's a klutz and washes all her clothes together in a big ball.

It never hurts to follow the middle ground.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Just a general observation on over supply...to me it's intuitive that there is so much merchandise "in the float" in so many categories that eventually the float will depress market prices on used items.
It boggles my mind to go down I-10 in Houston and see acres upon acres of new and used autos...and realize that all that inventory needs to be turned over in less than a year, in one way or another.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@nawlinsron2wrote:
Just a general observation on over supply...to me it's intuitive that there is so much merchandise "in the float" in so many categories that eventually the float will depress market prices on used items.
It boggles my mind to go down I-10 in Houston and see acres upon acres of new and used autos...and realize that all that inventory needs to be turned over in less than a year, in one way or another.

How many of the used ones became submarines?

The second point of the article is that even lower prices won't cause people to buy this stuff. So it's a combination of oversupply and lack of appeal at any price, which means most of the stuff will end up at the "rag factory" or be palletized and sent to third-world countries.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Or recycled into new fabric and clothing. That's happening more and more these days.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Most people have no idea regarding quality of clothing in an age where thread count and other factors can be changed during a production run by just a few key strokes.  So sounds to me like just more coprorate nonsense and that someone is trying to deflect blame from a buying mistake: "oh, it is not me, it is the customers whose tastes have changed too quickly for us".  Having sold clothing for decades in my brick and mortar store I always just owned up to my errors and always remembered the first rule in retail: "take your first loss".  Sounds like the H&M staff were over confident, over bought, and were a bit slow to the clearance table.  Don't be concerned with their woes, focus on your inventory and never fear taking a small loss to change out your inventory.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@m60driverwrote:

Most people have no idea regarding quality of clothing in an age where thread count and other factors can be changed during a production run by just a few key strokes.  So sounds to me like just more coprorate nonsense and that someone is trying to deflect blame from a buying mistake: "oh, it is not me, it is the customers whose tastes have changed too quickly for us".  Having sold clothing for decades in my brick and mortar store I always just owned up to my errors and always remembered the first rule in retail: "take your first loss".  Sounds like the H&M staff were over confident, over bought, and were a bit slow to the clearance table.  Don't be concerned with their woes, focus on your inventory and never fear taking a small loss to change out your inventory.

That's the spirit. Don't change a thing, even in the face of tens of billions of dollars of heavily discounted clothing being dumped on the market by lots of retailers, and new sites springing up to sell it. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Despite a series of widespread markdowns, clothing chain H&M is struggling to sell off $4 billion in extra merchandise — including months-old Halloween costumes and Christmas sweaters — as changing consumer tastes and increasing competition take their toll on the Swedish retailer.

Seller remorse from excessive supply.....lol

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

My children all learned very quickly that when it comes to most clothing, you get what you pay for.  Buy cheap, get cheap.  My 18 year old daughter buys most all her clothes at the thrift store. She gets good quality clothes at low prices and does't care that they're pre-owned.  She does buy things like tank tops and such at Kohl's when they're on sale, and in-store. She doesn't buy clothes online.

I am the same way. All my clothes come from the thrift store. I don't buy online, either. The ONLY exception is Faded Glory t-shirts from Walmart. I buy a lot of them end of season when they're marked down. They last for several years, are actually thicker than a Kleenex and aren't see thru.

(I've never heard of H&M, guess I need to get out more Smiley LOL )

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Are "millenials" the only ones walking the Earth with money to spend?

I sell clothing and can assure you, the group I least want to target is the "millenial" (which, BTW, I think is a stupid term).  Millenials are too cool for Ebay anyway, so no big deal to me what their ever-changing tastes are.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@jobs-7wrote:

I sell clothing and can assure you, the group I least want to target is the "millenial" (which, BTW, I think is a stupid term).  Millenials are too cool for Ebay anyway, so no big deal to me what their ever-changing tastes are.

So, how are your sales?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@thatsallfolkswrote:

@jobs-7wrote:

So, how are your sales?

AWESOME, FABULOUS, FANTASTIC, GREAT, STUPENDOUS!

Isn't that what those of us who hide behind our posting IDs are supposed to say?

My sales are fine for the amount of time I put in to Ebay.  Luckily for my wife and I, Ebay is a hobby, nothing more.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@jobs-7wrote:

@thatsallfolkswrote:

@jobs-7wrote:

So, how are your sales?

AWESOME, FABULOUS, FANTASTIC, GREAT, STUPENDOUS!

Isn't that what those of us who hide behind our posting IDs are supposed to say?

My sales are fine for the amount of time I put in to Ebay.  Luckily for my wife and I, Ebay is a hobby, nothing more.

Great, glad you're doing well. However, 90% of the people who post here complaining of poor sales, no profits, "hidden listings", or "throttling" are listing in the Clothing category.

(BTW, even with a posting ID, it's easy to show people your sales activity, by posting a screen shot of your monthly breakdown from the Dashboard. There's no info that can be used to identify you.)

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

"That's the spirit. Don't change a thing, even in the face of tens of billions of dollars of heavily discounted clothing being dumped on the market by lots of retailers, and new sites springing up to sell it. "

Perhaps I wasn 't clear.  You always need to be ready to change. That is why you need to be willing to take your first loss and move forward.  But billions, well in my time maybe millions of dollars of clothng being dumped on the market is nothing out of the ordinary and heavily discounted clothing was/is a staple at countless trade shows even before the advent of the Off Price show in Las Vegas back in the 1990s.   Perhaps you should be attending the Off Price show as well to source product and new vendors and to talk to some veterans in the business.  To a retired veteran of the trade like myself, the dumping of product and the opening of new stores, or sites, is as guaranteed as the tides.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@m60driverwrote:

Perhaps you should be attending the Off Price show as well to source product and new vendors and to talk to some veterans in the business.

That's good advice for the clothing sellers (I'm not one of them; I just wanted them to understand what their competition is doing outside of eBay's bubble).

Message 15 of 15
latest reply