cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you need 3,5, and 7 day Buy It Now listings to get sales? Would you pay to get options back?

Bottom line:  There are a ton of sellers who are being killed by this Good Till Cancelled change eBay just made.

For a ton of people their sales have come to a crawl, if not stopped completely.

Granted this has not effected everyone in the same way. 

It seems to be smaller/medium sized sellers mainly who sell one off items, collectibles, antiques, things of that nature?  That simply do not have the long tail inventory business model that Good till Cancelled listings are designed for.

These sellers need their shorter term options back, as this has proven to be the best most effective way to sell their items and inventory for many, many years.  

For sellers like this the Good Till Cancelled duration and model is a "detriment" at best, and at worst?  Will most likely put them out of business on ebay.

This is a huge problem it seems to me not only for what must amount to hundreds and thousands of sellers worldwide, but of course also to ebay itself, which is going to suffer revenue losses right along with these sellers.  

So this seems to be a lose, lose for everyone involved here.  

Sellers who already always use Good Till Cancelled , and have found that this works for them?  And has worked for them for many years?  Have nothing to fear, and are not effected by this change of course. 

So I know this is not an issue for every seller on ebay.

I was thinking about this problem, and I also saw this proposed a few times by a few other people on these boards as a solution:

Why cant a compromise be struck with eBay, to allow these sellers who need and rely on these short term options for their sales and livelihood, be able to have them back?  Maybe just with a small fee attached to them for using them?

I'm not going to speculate on what that fee would be, but I can tell you this:  I've talked to and seen many, many sellers now who since this change, are already on the verge of going out of business and leaving ebay. 

If ebay was their only income and sales venue?  They are in a lot of trouble to say the least.

So given the choice of paying a fee to use these options again (lets call it just 3, 5, 7, day Buy it Now options only being brought back, because I don't think those factor into google SEO problems)?  Or going out of business/and or leaving ebay for good?

I have to think that many of them would be on board for that in a heart beat.

I'd like to hear from some of the people being terribly affected by this new mandate, if this is something you would agree would be a good compromise, and something you would be willing to pay for; to get back your short term duration options.

This compromise would be a win, win for everyone as eBay would make more in fees (which we know is important to them as a business), and sellers would be able to run their businesses as normal again the way they have for years, and be able to stay on ebay and continue getting sales, etc.

It would also be a win for ebay again, because instead of losing all the revenue they are going to lose by these sellers being wiped out? 

They can retain these sellers revenue, and as a nice cherry on top get paid a little more per listing as an insertion fee, or however it would have to structured.

Just curious about people's opinions, because it seems to me from everything I have been reading and hearing? 

This is something that is going to have be addressed soon, one way or another.

If it was only a very tiny fraction of sellers here that were being affected here, like just people who put their junk on eBay they find in their basement?  Then there would be no need really for concern in my opinion.

But I have read post, after post, after post, from and talked to countless  professional sellers who have been on eBay for numerous years, who this is killing right now. 

So there's definitely a serious concern here to be tackled here for many.

All thought and opinions are welcome. 

No offence to anyone either, but if you are not being affected in a negative way by this change?  Then this probably isn't the topic for you though. 

As I said I know that there are a lot of people are either happy with this change, and/or don't care, because they have been using good till cancelled listings all along anyway.

For those of you in that boat?  You should consider that you are most likely happy because ebay has not taken anything AWAY from you, and you have always had the option of using Good Till Cancelled if it worked for you in the past.

The sellers who it does not work for, and whose business models it does not support?  Are the sellers who have the loudest voices here because this is harming them and their businesses. 

They are not however asking ebay to eliminate YOUR option of using good till cancelled if that helps you run your business.  I believe all they want is the option of running theirs correctly again, and not going out of business.

Good luck to everyone, and looking forward to everyone's opinions

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: If you need 3,5, and 7 day Buy It Now listings to get sales? Would you pay to get options back?

don't understand why sellers should have to pay a fee to get back what they had all along. I for one have used the 30 day Buy It now Fixed listing with quantity of items and sold many every month. But I don't want to have to pay a listing fee every time the 30 days rolls around like it or not . GTC is killing my small artisan business and every time they make a change I lose more. Hard to explain to buyers who are used to buying fixed listings why I can't do it anymore and they have to wait for an auction to end they want to BUY IT NOW but the Ebay enforced buy it now prices is too high
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: If you need 3,5, and 7 day Buy It Now listings to get sales? Would you pay to get options back?

Interesting question.  Judging by the many posts and threads that have been posted since this was announced Feb 26, and by the previous poster's response, I would have to say I don't think they would accept a small fee to get that choice back, especially since many have said that they view this change as a "money grab"~I don't think they will be on board.

Just my opinion.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@micsett-99 wrote:

It seems to be smaller/medium sized sellers mainly who sell one off items, collectibles, antiques, things of that nature?  That simply do not have the long tail inventory business model that Good till Cancelled listings are designed for.

I would think it is opposite of what your wrote. Those selling unique items NEED to keep those items up and running because they have little demand and a low sell-through and rarely get the views needed for a person to purchase.

As to your question I would think, knowing these boards, there would be more outrage and complaints than the GTC posts if people had to pay extra. They would use the excuse that small sellers are being cheated.. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

90% of Sales are on My 7 Day Durations. GTC is Not the Answer for Antique and Collectible Sellers. Buyer Either Buy Newly Listed or Ending Soonest. I already for YEARS Paid for the Choice $300 Mo for Anchor Store. I still Pay $300 they Just Took My CHOICE to Run My Business for What works after Many Years Away with a Push Of A Button. I NEED MY DURATION CHOICES BACK!!
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Why don't you list 20 or so listings for 29 days.  Yes,  you list them for 30 days to end late at night.  Mark your calender and in 29 days , you shut them down.   If you are actually home and free on the 30 th day,  then end the ads before they end and relist.  That is why I say list them late at night.  

I have edited a few ads to actually state that I have no choice but to end it on day 29.

Auctions sometimes do not result in sales because buyers cannot wait.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'm not happy with the GTC either. I've juggled about 100 items of inventory and avoided a listing fee. After switching a few to auction format, I have sold three items.. The first was a non-paying bidder. What a hassle, can't even leave a Negative feedback.. The other two items sold for the minimum bid. I made a total of $2.29..

My profit margin is pretty low on most items. I simply can't afford to pay a listing or relist fee or risk losing money on auctions.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I agree with everything you're saying, except for the added fees. Why should sellers have to pay fees for something they already had to begin with? Totally unacceptable.

Either way, a lot of what you stated rings true, and it seems ebay doesn't care how their sellers are affected by these changes. I would also agree ebay is losing a lot of money right now due to the lack of sales.

The new GTC changes hurt everyone, but smaller sellers are hit the hardest for sure. Often people like to list their better items for shorter duration's so they can get more visibility, and more sales that follow.

What this all comes down to is ebay not caring what happens to their platform or its sellers. They might as well just close the whole platform down, what's the difference. Meanwhile the ebay reps keep telling us how wonderful these changes to GTC are and how they're going to get us all more sale. The facts prove otherwise.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Actually i think i would pay to have the 30 day Fixed Price/Make Offer without auto relist,i sure would,cause i'm losing sales as things are

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

In answer to your question:  No.

I don't know how sellers can be being killed YET.  It's too early.  I don't like the policy, but I think it is too early to say whether it will do real harm or actually benefit anyone.

For me, I prefer the cost to come out of the sales.  Way back when we always paid for every listing, I never could come out ahead.  Most everything went to eBay.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I would not pay. I don´t think anybody should be charged anything unless their item sells. The commission this company earns on a final value fee when my items sells should be plenty for them.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Very long post, very short answer NO! I hate the GTC, My business is suffering but I will and find a way to deal with it here on this platform. All my eggs are not in this one basket by a long shot! If I were to answer this question in any other way, you can paint a big S.U.C..K.E...........R On My Forehead!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I am a very tiny seller of new Case knives,they have taken away my choice of when to list. I am a firm believer that there are certain days of the week that is better for a listing to end. Buyers do their searches ending first and newly listed. They for the most part do not search thru a lot of listings unless they are looking for a certain knife. If they where they would use E bays search engine.

I remember when there where NO free listings,it's my view that want to drive tiny/small sellers out. I would not PAY ONE DIME MORE to get my 7 day listings back. If they don't retract this stupid GTC policy I will leave E bay

For the sellers that depend on E bay for their livelihood, I feel for you.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

All one would have to do is ask ebay what they plan on doing, because it will be done.

The proof of that is that ebay is still here.

How many times have 'people' on the board said that 'sellers must adapt'. And so, sellers do adapt.  ebay makes it 'convenient' for sellers.  ebay makes it 'easy' for sellers.  ebay says to do it 'this way' and it will be good.  ebay 'says'.  And sellers, believing or not, go along and adapt.  Sellers complain, moan, groan, rant, rave, stomp their feet and wring their hands, but they fall in line and ebay nods it's head, smiles and goes it's merry way.  ebay has it's way, because no matter how good, or how bad, or how indifferent a policy, change or anything else is, there are enough that believe that ebay is the only way to succeed, the only place with 'eyes', the only place with 'traffic', the only place 'it's so big so how can it fail or be wrong', the only place that can be 'home' .... well, it must be true, right?

The 'success stories' are published, world wide, and there are hundreds of them every week - so, it all must be true, right?  Well, okay, every month or so.  Ummmm, every year?  Just how many laudable success stories are there?  How many - hundreds, thousands, millions - of sellers are there supposed to be?

Yes, yes, yes, beg ebay to take more money from sellers to give them something that will pay ebay more for, for, for .....  For what?  To get back, what?  GTC was because there was a 'lacking' in 'sell-through' and 'velocity' - paying ebay more will get it?  Because google search is better - and this will improve sales on ebay?

Please, sir, may I have more?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

All one would have to do is ask ebay what they plan on doing, because it will be done.

The proof of that is that ebay is still here.

How many times have 'people' on the board said that 'sellers must adapt'. And so, sellers do adapt.  ebay makes it 'convenient' for sellers.  ebay makes it 'easy' for sellers.  ebay says to do it 'this way' and it will be good.  ebay 'says'.  And sellers, believing or not, go along and adapt.  Sellers complain, moan, groan, rant, rave, stomp their feet and wring their hands, but they fall in line and ebay nods it's head, smiles and goes it's merry way.  ebay has it's way, because no matter how good, or how bad, or how indifferent a policy, change or anything else is, there are enough that believe that ebay is the only way to succeed, the only place with 'eyes', the only place with 'traffic', the only place 'it's so big so how can it fail or be wrong', the only place that can be 'home' .... well, it must be true, right?

The 'success stories' are published, world wide, and there are hundreds of them every week - so, it all must be true, right?  Well, okay, every month or so.  Ummmm, every year?  Just how many laudable success stories are there?  How many - hundreds, thousands, millions - of sellers are there supposed to be?

Yes, yes, yes, beg ebay to take more money from sellers to give them something that will pay ebay more for, for, for .....  For what?  To get back, what?  GTC was because there was a 'lacking' in 'sell-through' and 'velocity' - paying ebay more will get it?  Because google search is better - and this will improve sales on ebay?

Please, sir, may I have more?

I couldn't agree with you more.  I guess what I was saying was proposing was a last ditch effort to try to get ebay to see reason here and not destroy itself along with all of us in the process.

Trust me, I just want this "change" to go away.  I want to wake up tomorrow and think this was all just a bad dream of some kind and we can all go back to getting sales and making money on here.

Out of desperation I suppose I was trying to come up with a compromise of sorts, because I am one of the many who would happily pay a bit more to be able to sell my items again, and get back my sales velocity I had a month ago before they changed this.

When you are in dire straights?  You often grasp at straws.  When faced with destructive insanity on this kind of scale? The sane and rational will often try to "bargain" to regain some semblance of normalcy.

If you need to?  Take my post as that.  

Message 15 of 17
latest reply