cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If buyer returns a damaged or different itemrent item

Awaiting the return from a buyer and am wondering what happens if a buyer returns a damaged item or a different item? Do they get a refund? She said wrong size was sent which is a bold lie. I asked her what size did she receive? But she refused to say one word. She had no problem writing when asking for faster shipping, which she got.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

EBAY does care even if customer returns "box of rocks" you still have to refund (purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   When selling clothing it is always a good idea to "allow returns" because if customer opens returns "does not it" (customer pays all shipping costs).

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@maubrn 

Can see by your multiple posts that you are wanting a different outcome/answer.

You want us to basically tell you that you don’t need to refund this buyer, when you absolutely do. No matter what the buyer sends back, you need to refund her.

Right now you are assuming too much as you have not even received item back. Buyer could very well return exactly what you sent and most likely that’s what will happen. You can then just relist and sell to a buyer who will absolutely love them.

Yes, there are scams and bad experiences, but in our selling of almost 13,000 items, they are not the norm. We have exactly 1 transaction in all of those where the buyer absolutely trashed an item before returning. We … Refunded, Blocked, Reported and Moved On.

Wishing you the best outcome in all of this!

Kiks

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

No not wanting a different answer, just trying to become informed so that I can prepare myself to know and accept any grim truths, and also know what my options are, and how to handle what I haven't had to handle thus far. Nothing more than that.

Hard to wrap my head around this. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@caldreamer is correct.

The buyer can return ANYTHING to you and will still get a refund.

If you refuse to refund ebay will refund them (with your funds) for you.

You can report the buyer but you'll never know what.

Hopefully this doesn't happen too often.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Why does eBay say check the returned item carefully, if this is the case? This is an outrageous policy. Even Amazon deducts from a refund at their discretion. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

What happens is the buyer will get a full refund and you'll get a damaged or wrong item .

Have a great day
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

That's mainly for remorse returns, not INADs.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

If you meet certain criteria, ebay will let you deduct up to 50% of the item if it is not return in the condition you sent it in.  I forget what that criteria is, but i'm sure someone will be along who will clarify that for you.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I would not worry too much about this at this point. Buyer can tell you a Martian jumped out of the box if they want to because some may think the only way to get a return is to tell you ANYTHING wrong with it. If you use NO returns ON YOUR LISTINGS they can at times come up with some really interesting reason to get that return. Just wait to see what comes back. Then go from there.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Dont go jumping to conclusions about this buyer. Yes, you do check the return. If for some odd reason this buyer would send back something else or damaged or whatever there is a benefit that sellers have if they offer free returns where you pay to get it shipped back and then deduct up to 50 percent off but you must offer free return shipping. To get that benefit. Other than that, no way to prove what you got back and what was sent. It’s impossible for ebay to determine that. That is the way it can be at times, but this situation does not soulnd that bad really, the buyer is just probably coming up with a reason for you to ACCEPT THE RETURN. 

I would not go crazy on this buyer with another message. Leave it alone. Let them return it for a refund.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Been doing this for over 15 years and thousands of transactions. Occasionally you will get this and probably nothing to worry about. They should just return the item.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

You are sort of correct.

There are two situations that one can use the 50% deduction for altered condition.

Being a TRS and offer at least 30 day buyer pays (not free) returns.

Or

Being above average and offering at least 30 day seller pays (free) returns.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

No not wanting a different answer, just trying to become informed so that I can prepare myself to know and accept any grim truths, and also know what my options are, and how to handle what I haven't had to handle thus far. Nothing more than that.

Hey...yeah, welcome to retail. This happens from time to time - fortunately, the vast majority of people are great.

Unless you know your market awfully well, and are a longstanding seller with return customers, make it easy on yourself and just take 30-day returns buyer pays (for remorse returns). If you have TRS, you can deduct a percentage if a buyer trashes your item. You do NOT have to offer free returns for this if you're a TRS, I don't know why this keeps being repeated - that's only if you're non-TRS.

I don't even get into a back and forth with the buyer - my return process is automated.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

@maubrn 

The worst that will happen (if you stay proactive) is that you'll refund in full, even if you receive a damaged or different item.

Your other options include not issuing the refund on your own. That will garner you a seller defect, so I don't recommend it.

As to "how to handle...", I'd not worry about it until I got to that bridge. But when you do, issue the full refund, inspect, then (hopefully) re-price and relist the item. Done and done.

Unrequested advice is to revisit your Return policy. I use 30-Day (Buyer pays) Returns and only had two honest remorse returns last year. Personally, I think 'No Returns' isn't worth the time it just took me to type it. Good luck moving forward.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply