cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see an item on here that was stolen from me and the seller has no knowledge of it

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: I see an item on here that was stolen from me and the seller has no knowledge of it

@downunder-61 wrote:

@californiakaren wrote:

@phihern1760 wrote:

....and I would just like the item back

Buy it now -- before someone else does! Have a friend buy it if the seller has blocked you. Once you have your item back you can work on how to get reimbursed.

Or, you can stand on principle and insist the item be given/returned to you free of charge and risk losing the opportunity to ever see the item again. 

If it were me, I would not risk losing this opportunity to get my item back, even if it means having to pay for it.

Buy it now -- before someone else does! Have a friend buy it if the seller has blocked you

Are you honestly advising this person to circumvent eBay Policy?

If it were me, I would not risk losing this opportunity to get my item back, even if it means having to pay for it.

Of course they have to pay for it

Or, you can stand on principle and insist the item be given/returned to you free of charge

What absolute tosh - it was ''allegedly stolen 15 years ago'' even the police will not touch this.

Once you have your item back you can work on how to get reimbursed.

I can only imagine what plan you may suggest as to how this would happen.

I can not believe someone who has been posting here as long as you have would consider any of the above to be good advice or morally correct - shame on you.

Rather than respond to each point, I will tell you that you have clearly misread or misunderstood what I wrote. Or perhaps I didn't express myself well enough. But there is nothing nefarious about the advice I gave, and I stand by what I said. Peace. 🙂

Message 16 of 85
latest reply

Re: I see an item on here that was stolen from me and the seller has no knowledge of it

1.  You don't  know if the officer was a jerk or not - you weren't there - it is  also possible the officer may  have said something the OP  did not want to hear as this is an emotional situation for  the OP.

2.  More than likely there  is a statute of limitations  in the OP's state.    The officer "ain't" going to write  up a report if the time limit has  long passed  15 or more years - the OP seemingly doesn't really know when

In Georgia, where I live it is as follows -

The statute of limitations for felony Theft by Taking is 4 years in Georgia. For a misdemeanor Theft by Taking charge, the statute of limitations is 2 years

3.  If he wants it bad enough - he will pony up - if not he doesn't want it that bad.

4.  Yes I would  love to have my  Winchester Model 37, 410 pump shotgun back to  pass on to my  grandson. Bought it for $69.00 in 1956 (I was 12) , at Sears Roebuck & Company.  It was in mint condition (all original even the bluing (valued at $950 ( at time of loss) .  It was the last year  it was made in a 410 gauge.  It was stolen on Super Bowl Sunday in 1985 while we were at a  SB party.  Filed a police report, visited every Pawn shop  near our  home with  serial number in hand.  Just have to pass on my Savage Stevens single shot 22 from 1955.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 17 of 85
latest reply

That's sad about your lost youth.  But you can take comfort in the fact that (a) you're not alone and (b) you have been offered something in return, the wisdom of the ages.  That and a fiver will buy you something nice at Starbucks.  

Message 18 of 85
latest reply

Actuall my parents bought for me with money I  had saved up doing yard work over a two year period.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 19 of 85
latest reply

Which reminds me - has anyone seen my lost youth being auctioned off here?  It got stolen about 30 years ago and I'd give almost everything I own to get it back.

I can't help you with the youth thing but for anyone who has "lost 20 pounds" I have it but just have not figured out how to post it yet. 

Message 20 of 85
latest reply

Hesitate to give an experienced eBayer like you advice, but you do know that'll have to be local pickup, right?

Message 21 of 85
latest reply

If this item means so much, buy it. It is that simple. 15 years ago, are you sure it is the exact item? 

Message 22 of 85
latest reply

The OP is, I believe, waiting for someone to tell him he can approach the seller, state "that's mine" and be sent the item in a priority box with no charge at all to him/her. 

Message 23 of 85
latest reply

How much is the item?

Message 24 of 85
latest reply

@phihern1760 wrote:

I was unaware of how eBay does anything and I do not want to get the seller in trouble I just don't want him to sell the item I would like to get the item returned to me free of charge because it was stolen from me but I do understand if the seller is unaware that he would lose money on this item and I do not want to cause any problems for the seller which I might have because I did report the item but since the item was stolen at least 15 years ago I cannot make a stolen report because at the time of the incident I was being arrested and could not get an officer to write the report I went to the place it was stolen and was unsuccessful at any police officer making a report for whatever reason they denied making a stolen property report it is long past statute of limitations and I would just like the item back

eBay has no power or authority to force a seller to give an item to another eBay user free of charge. 

So if the police won't help and you want the item back, your only choices as I see it are to either convince the seller to give it to you or to buy. 

Message 25 of 85
latest reply

Are there still daytime TV soap operas?

I have the strange urge to turn on the set to see how this turns out.

Message 26 of 85
latest reply

Am I understanding correctly that you were being arrested at the same time the item was stolen?

Were you harassing the person who you think stole it and got arrested because of it?

Message 27 of 85
latest reply

I'm thinking this is fiction but certainly a good topic for discussion ... IMHO ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 85
latest reply

That actually happened to me here on eBay maybe 15-20 years ago.

A lady had a house robbery of her jewelry in Ohio & she saw a platinumdiamond Art Deco ring I was selling here on eBay and she notified her police office that it was hers from her robbery.

2 NYC police showed up here at my apartment about this stolen ring.

I easily proved that it was not her similar looking ring because I had printed out many different pix of my ring for sale with a computer generated date on the pix way predating her robbery.  It was a similar dime a dozen Art Deco platinumdiamond ring that I’ve had hundreds of through the years.  It wasn’t hers!

She was a confused old lady 1500 miles away but she sure upset me then!

Message 29 of 85
latest reply

heres your chance to get this item at a low price.

Message 30 of 85
latest reply