cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m done with eBay. A rant

eBay is the worst, I will never sell on it again. 

So recently I’ve acquired some things to sell for a friend. I’ve been a member since 2009 with 100% feedback. One of the items I sold the buyer claimed the item was damaged in shipping. I knew I was going to have problems with this buyer from the get go as the shipping address was a warehouse and seemed kind of shady. I told him to send me photos of it damaged. The photos didn’t prove anything. Of course ebay sided with him because that’s the way it works. He asked me to give him a partial refund which I wouldn’t. He was obviously trying to scam me. I provided a return label and he never shipped it back. Case closed. It’s comical how long ebay gives buyers to send things back. 

Second, I recently sold a Briggs and Riley bag to a lady. She received it and claimed it was counterfeit. She gave me my first negative feedback ever, without even contacting me. I told her the bag was not counterfeit and provided her the original receipt of purchase directly from Briggs and Riley. She still didn’t believe me. eBay completely sided with her and now I’m stuck with the negative feedback and paying for return shipping. 

What a joke. eBay is just a free for all where any buyer can claim anything and they always will be in the right. It’s a cesspool of scammers, and dishonesty. On top of that the eBay fees are ridiculous. I’m just done with it. Never again. That’s my rant. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: I’m done with eBay. A rant

@slalomnorth5 wrote:

Of course ebay sided with him because that’s the way it works. He asked me to give him a partial refund which I wouldn’t. He was obviously trying to scam me. I provided a return label and he never shipped it back. Case closed. It’s comical how long ebay gives buyers to send things back. 

If you do not accept the return and let eBay rule on the dispute, you lose the ability to force a return.

Once the buyer is refunded there is no way for you or eBay to force them to package up and item and take it to the post office. And the buyer has no incentive to do it either.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Rant noted.

Number whatever thousand rant of I am done. Bye

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

"He asked me to give him a partial refund which I wouldn’t. He was obviously trying to scam me. I provided a return label and he never shipped it back. Case closed

You should have repeated the mantra "return for refund" each time a partial was requested. 

After you sent the return label (and assuming it was through the request), the buyer had a date by which to ship. If it wasn't shipped with tracking showing by that date, you could have had the case closed in your favor. 

It sounds like you weren't proactive and as such, ebay decided against you.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Well, heck, another one leaving I didn't even know was here.  Happy trails, wherever they lead you.

-

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Not ANY different than ANY store in the country. Any buyer can go to the return counter and return things using 'it had a hole in it' to 'it don't fit' 'they were broken in the box' 'it's fake' (yes, returners do return fake things and personnel simply put back on the shelf).

You need to look at percentages of the entire batch of selling and not each individual sale. You also need to know you are Selling ON eBay and for the most part 'For' eBay so of course, they will take care of their customers.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Yeah, I have pretty much had it with them, too. I have been selling on here since the very beginning and it has changed so much and keeps changing still! I wanted my account to be my own little business to supplement my husband's paycheck and have a little pocket money now and then. But they have virtually taken over and control just about every aspect of my "little business" and absorbing it into their "BIG business."  What happened to you has also happened to me several times over the years and irks the crap out of me that eBay ALWAYS takes the buyers side. And don't even get me started on the fact that buyers can leave us negative feedback, but we can't leave it for them!! But the worst is when you ship something and the buyer whines to eBay that they didn't receive the item, it's damaged or broken, etc. and then we are expected to either refund their money or pay for return shipping. So we are SOL; sometimes with no money and no item, sometimes with negative feedback and with shipping as high as it is these days paying for return shipping and getting a damaged item back, just plain sucks!! And that is my rant!!😡

We all have 2 lives. The second one starts when we realize we only have one.
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I did accept the return, and I did provide a return label. He did not send it back in the allotted time and I won the case. My point is he was trying to obviously scam me, and eBay was basically still siding with him. 

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I did accept the return, and I did provide a return label. He did not send it back in the allotted time and I won the case. My point is he was trying to obviously scam me, and eBay was basically still siding with him. 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@windtech1 wrote:

...  the worst is when you ship something and the buyer whines to eBay that they didn't receive the item, it's damaged or broken, etc. and then we are expected to either refund their money or pay for return shipping... 

So you believe that every customer who says an item was not received or was received damaged and/or not as described is nothing more than a whining liar?   Got it.

-

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

That would make sense if I accepted returns. Which I don’t. I don’t even know why ebay has that has an option, because even if you are in the right they make you offer a return. 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

With the amount of scammers I’ve encountered, especially with how little I sell I think there’s a lot of false claims being made all the time. So it wouldn’t surprise me. No need for your sarcasm either 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

You chose to read it lol. Bye 

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@slalomnorth5 wrote:

... I recently sold a Briggs and Riley bag to a lady. She received it and claimed it was counterfeit. She gave me my first negative feedback ever, without even contacting me. I told her the bag was not counterfeit and provided her the original receipt of purchase directly from Briggs and Riley... 

Buying it at a retail store does not guarantee authenticity.  Fake merchandise is returned for a cash refund, the people at the store obviously do not detect the fakes, the stuff goes back onto the floor, and it then sells to equally unsuspecting buyers.  Happens a lot these days.  Just another price Americans pay for their thralldom to brands.

-

-

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

If you would accept returns and you are atop rated seller than negative feedback for any return case would automatically get deleted:

Screenshot_20230206_094534_Samsung Internet.jpg

Message 15 of 35
latest reply