cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like it when sellers help OTHER sellers to get more feedback. They do it by PARTICIPATING.

One of the reasons I leave feedback for every customer is to help other sellers to get more feedback. 

The Principles of Reciprocity is well documented as it relates to individuals.  Also, eBay tell us how it works with a buyer and seller:  If the buyer leaves feedback, the seller is more likely to leave feedback;  if the seller leaves feedback, the buyer is more likely to leave feedback.  There may be some exceptions, but we know this is the way it works in most cases.

The Principles of Reciprocity also works as it relates to two groups, but documentation is more difficult to find.  When one group does something nice or beneficial for the other group, the other group is more likely to do something nice or beneficial for the first group. 

Buyers and sellers are Reciprocal Groups with "feedback" being the thing which can be reciprocated.  When more  members of one group leave feedback, more of the members of the other group will leave feedback. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I like it when sellers help OTHER sellers to get more feedback. They do it by PARTICIPATING.

@phanoto wrote:

One of the reasons I leave feedback for every customer is to help other sellers to get more feedback. 

The Principles of Reciprocity is well documented as it relates to individuals.  Also, eBay tell us how it works with a buyer and seller:  If the buyer leaves feedback, the seller is more likely to leave feedback;  if the seller leaves feedback, the buyer is more likely to leave feedback.  There may be some exceptions, but we know this is the way it works in most cases.

The Principles of Reciprocity also works as it relates to two groups, but documentation is more difficult to find.  When one group does something nice or beneficial for the other group, the other group is more likely to do something nice or beneficial for the first group. 

Buyers and sellers are Reciprocal Groups with "feedback" being the thing which can be reciprocated.  When more  members of one group leave feedback, more of the members of the other group will leave feedback. 

The theory is wonderful.  The practice, in the real world, with everyday people, would appear to be other than some expect, or wish. 

Do you, or ebay, have any specific instances to cite, as an indication that it is applicable and working, on a wide scale, in today's society?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 68
latest reply

Why do buyers and sellers need more feedback?

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

None of that is true. I write FB for my buyers, I do not use ebays canned comments, I include a packing slip with a “we appreciate 5 star FB sticker and a handwritten thank you, an eBay Printed thank you card with a handwritten note and a couple eBay stickers as gifts and I rarely get FB back from buyers. I leave fb as soon as I pack the item up, I pack very well for safe shipment.
I’m tired of trying so hard so I no longer care about FB.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 4 of 68
latest reply

@phanoto wrote:

I like it when sellers and buyers recognize that participation in feedback is optional.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

maybe they should hand out trophy's that say "I participated" 

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

@phanoto wrote:

In today's ecommerce, participating in feedback by buyers is becoming less and less. Most just do not want to bother spending the time. They buy their item and move on to the next most interesting venue, website, blog, newsfeed etc. They are not checking into the menus within their buying accounts to see what might be there or are there any tasks to complete. Most only look at the other menus of their buying accounts when there is a problem they need to resolve and then they move on from there. 

At this point I get about 25% feedback from buyers and it will only go down from there in the future. 

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

My feedback ratio on our 3 selling accounts disproves your theory.

Too many buyers now that do not care about meaningless feedback.

Too many that buy as guests.

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

I like it when sellers help other sellers get more sales, how do we do that?

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

@mypostingid15 wrote:

I like it when sellers help other sellers get more sales, how do we do that?

Here is a thread on that.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sales-tactics-that-are-working/td-p/29445049

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

You sure are passionate about feedback. Thousands of feedback posts spanning many years and still carrying the "I want more feedback" torch. 

The Principles of Reciprocity is a tool of manipulation when used as a selfish device to elicit desired cooperation.

On the other hand,  The Principles of Altruistic Actions, not unlike The Principles of Unconditional Love, is a default and selfless act without desired expectations and frankly, without principles or even rules.

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

There's also The Principle of Redundancy Principle, and this thread is, once again, proof positive it exists.

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

If something is repeated enough it will become a fact/a truth, or at least some believe it will:)

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

If something is repeated enough it will become a fact/a truth, or at least some believe it will:)

There was a guy that started a prank and was telling people that a bakery is giving away free donuts once the open at 9 am, so people started forming a line and the line got so long, when he looked at the line half hour later, he believed it and went and stood in line himself

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

Changed my mind. Sorry folks.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 15 of 68
latest reply