cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like it when sellers help OTHER sellers to get more feedback. They do it by PARTICIPATING.

One of the reasons I leave feedback for every customer is to help other sellers to get more feedback. 

The Principles of Reciprocity is well documented as it relates to individuals.  Also, eBay tell us how it works with a buyer and seller:  If the buyer leaves feedback, the seller is more likely to leave feedback;  if the seller leaves feedback, the buyer is more likely to leave feedback.  There may be some exceptions, but we know this is the way it works in most cases.

The Principles of Reciprocity also works as it relates to two groups, but documentation is more difficult to find.  When one group does something nice or beneficial for the other group, the other group is more likely to do something nice or beneficial for the first group. 

Buyers and sellers are Reciprocal Groups with "feedback" being the thing which can be reciprocated.  When more  members of one group leave feedback, more of the members of the other group will leave feedback. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: I like it when sellers help OTHER sellers to get more feedback. They do it by PARTICIPATING.

@castlemagicmemories   Disappearing Neg FB is not common, its more the exception, we just read about it a lot here on The Community.  The FB system is completely unbalanced if both parties can not leave the same type of FB for the other, pure and simple.   I use the system but I don't think it is the optimum arrangement and hope that someday it is replaced with something more fair to both sides ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 46 of 68
latest reply

Re: I like it when sellers help OTHER sellers to get more feedback. They do it by PARTICIPATING.

@wpt05 wrote:

As a buyer, I look at a seller's feedback before making a purchase.  After the transaction is over, I post feedback for the seller.  If I do not, I am actually doing a disservice to other buyers.  They have helped me decide which seller to buy from so I in turn help them decide which seller to buy from.  

I agree with that . If say,,  a seller that I've never done business with  has less than stellar scores  then I will go check their feedback to see why . One or two cranky complaints won't stop me from buying from them . However  while reading the comments section and   I  start to see a pattern  like the same types of complaints  about the product or  service  then I will pass on them . Tulips 

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

@turquoisetulips    Good point on seeing a "pattern" in the FB history ...

Regards,
Message 48 of 68
latest reply

Possibly the dramatic increase in feedback you are experiencing is due to new members?  castlemagic 

I don't know really . I can't say I've seen a huge increase in sales  because that would be a big fat fib . However from the sales that I do make   more of the buyers are   leaving  feedback  for them.  Shrug  ! Tulips 

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories   While we were not aware of the late 2018 Commercial campaign but we did notice an increase in the last 3-4 months of (0) Buyers ... we've had no issues with them (not that we won't, we just haven't as of today) and the way I see it is that we will be leaving the very first FB for them AND if the transaction goes smoothly and they like what they buy they will come back to eBay ...

Regards,
Message 50 of 68
latest reply

The FB system is completely unbalanced if both parties can not leave the same type of FB for the other, pure and simple. 

Sellers cannot leave negs because that was abused as a retaliatory measure.  Buyers can leave negative feedback that disappears.  While some feel it is the exception, many acknowledge it is far more widespread.  Your call, of course.

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@castlemagicmemories   While we were not aware of the late 2018 Commercial campaign but we did notice an increase in the last 3-4 months of (0) Buyers ... we've had no issues with them (not that we won't, we just haven't as of today) and the way I see it is that we will be leaving the very first FB for them AND if the transaction goes smoothly and they like what they buy they will come back to eBay ...

That's great, and I hope you continue to see increased sales.

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
None of that is true. I write FB for my buyers, I do not use ebays canned comments, I include a packing slip with a “we appreciate 5 star FB sticker and a handwritten thank you, an eBay Printed thank you card with a handwritten note and a couple eBay stickers as gifts and I rarely get FB back from buyers. I leave fb as soon as I pack the item up, I pack very well for safe shipment.
I’m tired of trying so hard so I no longer care about FB.

I think you might be overdoing it.  I include a hand-writing Thank You on my packing slip and that's it.  If positive feedback is received, I reciprocate within 24hrs, usually in the evening when things calm down.  If I don't receive any feedback, I still leave feedback for the buyer 45 days after the sale.  Since eBay allows for feedback up to 60 days past sale, this still gives the customer 2 weeks to reciprocate.

I don't fret over feedback and I'm certain there could be found a better way, but for now, this is what we have.  I have always left feedback for all of my customers, and I've been selling since '97.  I also leave feedback for all the sellers I purchase from, altho that's on my BuyingID.  SixBit, the ecommerce software I use, makes it super easy to see when feedback has come in, and to see what orders have reached the 45 day mark.  Since I only post that feedback once a week, the time expense is generally less than a minute (open View, select all orders, click Leave Feedback, select proper comment, click OK - done).

Will this work for all sellers?  No telling, but it works for me and that's really all I'm worried about.  My feedback received rate is somewhat over 50%, and my repeat buyer rate is 40%+, so it sure seems I'm doing something right.

I do have one line in my 'terms' stating that feedback is left for all customers, and I make sure I do.  I think it helps with repeat sales, when customers know that not only will they get what is listed, but they will also get feedback whether they leave it for me or not.

I'm more concerned with finding new elongates and making sales than I am with feedback.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 53 of 68
latest reply

While some feel it is the exception, many acknowledge it is far more widespread.  Your call, of course

To further explain this, sellers have posted that they had feedback that had no grounds for removal removed when they simply called and complained.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

The FB system is completely unbalanced if both parties can not leave the same type of FB for the other, pure and simple. 

Sellers cannot leave negs because that was abused as a retaliatory measure.  Buyers can leave negative feedback that disappears.  While some feel it is the exception, many acknowledge it is far more widespread.  Your call, of course.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with the "many" statement.  The worst part of the current FB system is when Buyers know they can use the implied threat of Neg FB to try and get a Seller to do something they otherwise wouldn't ... they makes comments like, "before I leave a 'review' for you I have this little issue blah, blah, blah."  They don't use the word Feedback, they call it a Review, that kind of a statement "implies" that the Seller's response will influence the type of FB left.  eBay allows the veiled threat of Neg FB for Buyers to use, otherwise they would change it ...

Regards,
Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Unfortunately, I don't agree with the "many" statement.

That's ok, we can agree to disagree. The posts are showing up more and more frequently so perhaps you will see them.

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

In my commodity store, I have received 56% as many FB comments as I have left.  In my collectibles store, 60%.  In both cases, well over 10,000 FB, enough for reliable results.

In both stores I used automatically-left FB upon payment.  I never ask for FB and include in my packages a packing slip with printed "Thanks" and hand-written first name.

I realize new sellers are desperate for FB to establish their legitimacy, but at this point I wouldn't care if I ever got another FB comment.

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't agree with the "many" statement.  The worst part of the current FB system is when Buyers know they can use the implied threat of Neg FB to try and get a Seller to do something they otherwise wouldn't ... they makes comments like, "before I leave a 'review' for you I have this little issue blah, blah, blah."  They don't use the word Feedback, they call it a Review, that kind of a statement "implies" that the Seller's response will influence the type of FB left.  eBay allows the veiled threat of Neg FB for Buyers to use, otherwise they would change it ...

Feedback Extortion has always been a violation of feedback-related eBay Policy.  My normal response, which so far has worked well, is to simply report the buyer & their comments (Report A Member - bookmark the page) and then simply ignore the threat and handle the issue as I would any other.

Do I know that eBay follows up on all my reports?  Nope - there's no confirmation.  However, many of the buyers I report simply shut up and follow eBay policy -- I get no more threats or implied threats.  And as far as I can recall, none have left negative feedback as yet.  Or if they did, it was easy enough to call eBay and have it removed, as I had previously reported the threat and now the buyer has carried thru on that threat.

eBay's not dumb, but they don't go looking for these types of issues either.  If we sellers were to report ALL the buyers who engaged in this type of activity, eBay would have to acknowledge it as an issue and address is more actively.  If only a few report these buyers, it stays a 'non-issue' due to the very low level of reports received.

Think about it -- buyers complain about excessive shipping and eBay puts FVF on shipping.  Yeah, it's a money-grab, but they had the perfect reason due to the very vocal buyers.  Why can't sellers do the same?  Why can't we rub eBay's nose in the problem until changes are made?  But beware...  if eBay may just be waiting for a reason to eliminate the feedback system altogether and rank sellers strictly on performance and returns... making both of those things much more critical than they are today, and making it easier for eBay to squeeze the small or marginal seller, rather than bother to try and help them.

Buyers who threaten or curse or are otherwise 'disruptive' (since eBay so likes that term) should always be reported.  Until such time as eBay eliminates the problem or accepts that buyers are not always good people.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 58 of 68
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I understand why you feel it is the exception.  Most likely, you have not called to just complain about a negative, so that is out of the realm of your experience.  If you called and a negative was not removed, you may feel that is the norm.  It's not uncommon to base opinions on individual experience.

What the actual numbers would be is unknown~I'm just going by what I have read.  I never saw any posts by sellers that admitted getting feedback removed just because they complained about it until recently~posts that said they knew it violated no feedback policies, but called to complain, and it was a revelation as it was previously not stated.  

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Where  I do  find the feedback system useful is when I go to make a purchase  from a seller that I don't know  . I do believe reading feedback  has  helped me to avoid   problems  with sellers  who have grown too comfortable  with providing lousy service . Tulips

Yes, wise buyers read the feedback comments because they know it can help them avoid a problematic transaction.  If you see a pattern that indicated buying from that seller is not a good idea, then you can hit the back button.  It's a valuable tool for buyers, and for sellers, to promote good will to your buyer who may then become a regular customer.

Message 60 of 68
latest reply