cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn’t include camera batteries...

I am a new seller on eBay and have been selling some of my old camera gear. I sold a camera body and in my listing I mentioned that the item includes the camera body, the strap, the front cap, the manual, and the original box. I did not include batteries or charger because they are still useable for my upgraded camera system. 

I sold the item, and now the buyer is complaining that the item is “not as described” because he says the term “camera body” automatically includes a battery and charger. On similar listings on eBay, I saw sellers specifically mention when batteries are included. I didn’t think I had to explicitly mention what wasn’t included. 

I offered to accept the return at which point I will offer a refund, but now the buyer is saying he will open a claim against me and will not return the camera until he is refunded. 

Am I in the wrong here? Did I do something wrong by not mentioning what is not included? I realize I could’ve been more explicit, but I it didn’t cross my mind because I thought I had stated exactly what was being sold. 

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: I didn’t include camera batteries...

We dont know a lot about cameras but we know that certin batteries cant be shipped anyway.   There is a big poster at the post office that says something about shipping batteries.   Best regards

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@lewisburggold wrote:

We dont know a lot about cameras but we know that certin batteries cant be shipped anyway.   There is a big poster at the post office that says something about shipping batteries.   Best regards

@lewisburggold wrote:

They can in fact be shipped domestically.

Lithium Batteries

For domestic mailings only, small consumer-type primary lithium cells or batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) like those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable domestically under certain conditions.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_027.htm?q=349.11&t=H&s=R&p=1&c=Pub52

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote: I would've included any information regarding items not included that would be necessary to function as a whole.

I agree to avoid  misunderstanding items that sometimes may but aren' t included should be specifically mentioned as Not Included, when listing on ebay.

However, I never suspect and simply just imagine that I will be receiving someting if it is not specifically mentioned within a listing. 

Ebay does afford apparently confused buyers an opportunity to ask any questions before buying!

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

However, I never suspect and simply just imagine that I will be receiving someting if it is not specifically mentioned within a listing. 

When selling on eBay, I think it is prudent for a seller to recognize what a buyer would customarily expect if they were buying a new item at a box store, and specifically detail both what is included and what is not. 

In the OP's case it is really pointless to argue who shares which part of the blame - what matters is that there was confusion that led to a disappointed buyer. The OP had the opportunity to avoid the situation with a more complete description.

You cannot prevent a buyer from being confused, but you can take prudent steps to reduce the chance of confusion. 

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

UPDATE: Hey everyone, I could’ve done without some of the rather aggressively negative comments, but thank you all for the advice and I will make sure to keep this in mind in the future. 

I offered the buyer the option of a return shipping label and full refund, but he demanded to receive money before returning the item. I then asked if me sending him a battery and charger would be sufficient, but I was told that at this point he’d rather not have the camera at all. 

So, he doesn’t want a battery and charger, doesn’t want the camera anymore, but also doesn’t want to follow the return policy...

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@husicc wrote:

UPDATE: Hey everyone, I could’ve done without some of the rather aggressively negative comments, but thank you all for the advice and I will make sure to keep this in mind in the future. 

I offered the buyer the option of a return shipping label and full refund, but he demanded to receive money before returning the item. I then asked if me sending him a battery and charger would be sufficient, but I was told that at this point he’d rather not have the camera at all. 

So, he doesn’t want a battery and charger, doesn’t want the camera anymore, but also doesn’t want to follow the return policy...

Well, he's going to have to do it that way.  Don't refund his money now.  Explain to him if he opens a case that's what he's going to have to do anyhow, that you are sorry, but that's how eBay insists it be done.  If he opens a case, eBay is going to provide him a label, and they're not going to refund him until he ships it and it is returned.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@husicc wrote:

I am a new seller on eBay and have been selling some of my old camera gear. I sold a camera body and in my listing I mentioned that the item includes the camera body, the strap, the front cap, the manual, and the original box. I did not include batteries or charger because they are still useable for my upgraded camera system. 

I sold the item, and now the buyer is complaining that the item is “not as described” because he says the term “camera body” automatically includes a battery and charger. On similar listings on eBay, I saw sellers specifically mention when batteries are included. I didn’t think I had to explicitly mention what wasn’t included. 

I offered to accept the return at which point I will offer a refund, but now the buyer is saying he will open a claim against me and will not return the camera until he is refunded. 

Am I in the wrong here? Did I do something wrong by not mentioning what is not included? I realize I could’ve been more explicit, but I it didn’t cross my mind because I thought I had stated exactly what was being sold. 

He is trying to get you to refund the money BEFORE you get the item so he can get a camera for free.  So make sure he sends camera back and its in your hands BEFORE you send him a refund.  He is a scam artist....period.

Remember negative feedback doesn't mean anything anymore AND he may be afraid of opening a case because that is traceable by ebay.  You may also want to forward his emails to ebay too so they can see what he has been doing to other sellers.

Just tell him to send it back for a full refund, once the camera has been received and checked, you will refund his money.  Case closed.

"Ebay promotions are like drugs, the first one is free..... then they try to get you hooked on the FEES!"
Message 22 of 47
latest reply

Then you will win the ebay case in a week and the paypal case filed the week after that.  No problem.  You have the camera before you refund 1 cent.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Just another idiot that is either making assumptions or wishful thinking of what's included, or they changed their mind for whatever reason and made up a story to return it on your dime.

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Could it take a single picture with no battery and no charger?  Do you consider it to be a working camera?

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Actually, a camera body being sold does not include the batteries and charger or anything else if it is being sold as body only.  Personally, I would have listed it as "Body Only" and listed the accessories separately or detailed precisely what accessories are being sold with the camera body in great detail.

Ordinarily, when thinking of a camera body, I'm thinking of one without lens and shutter depending upon the type of camera.  Of course, I'm more familiar with buying studio large format cameras with lenses and shutters separate than modern digital cameras.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 26 of 47
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Actually, a camera body being sold does not include the batteries and charger or anything else if it is being sold as body only.  Personally, I would have listed it as "Body Only" and listed the accessories separately or detailed precisely what accessories are being sold with the camera body in great detail.

Ordinarily, when thinking of a camera body, I'm thinking of one without lens and shutter depending upon the type of camera.  Of course, I'm more familiar with buying studio large format cameras with lenses and shutters separate than modern digital cameras.

I think the problem is blind assumption and wishful thinking, it seems eBay has bred this kind of behavior though "we are covered either way so we don't have to do any research or ask any questions we'll just stick it to the seller even though we know the battery is probably not included lolz."

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

I still think this is all a combination of oversite on the part of the seller to mention it, and assumption by the buyer it would be included.  No one was trying to rip anyone off.  It's not over though, so I've made some assumptions about the buyer myself.  It's not like it matters at this point, the buyer is in the driver's seat as always around here.   Concluding this is a "wishful thinking" buyer might not be correct, it is certainly irrelevant.

I haven't looked at the listing, I don't know if the item comes with the battery/charger when new, or not.  OP says they kept it for use with their "new" camera, but I don't know that it means "new" doesn't have one.  It might not, or they might have bought a used "new" one that didn't have it, or they might have kept it for an extra. 

No one has mentioned the Product Catalog either, and I don't know if it was listed with it or not.  On another camera issue we've seen, the Product Catalog was oddly silent on whether battery/charger is included.  All eBay wants to show buyers is the catalog, and there's no guarantee buyer sees it if seller mentions it anyhow. 

There are some basic "rules" to eBay selling / buying, and people often don't follow them anymore, for a multitude of reasons, many of which eBay is responsible for.

When you sell it, describe everything relevant (like if it has a battery / charger included, or it doesn't).  Since that may vary from listing to listing, the catalog approach is problematic even when it IS correct (which it often isn't). 

When you buy it, confirm everything relevant to you before buying it (like if it has a battery / charger included, or it doesn't).  If it doesn't say, or if it's not clear, you should figure that out before buying it, not rely on MBGs or Free Returns to solve it later, because it's a hassle for everyone, and an unnecessary expense, if it has to be sent back. 

The key to mail order is discouraging and eliminating the need for returns.  eBay does a poor job of realizing they're in the mail order business to begin with, and often don't encourage best practices that are suited toward successful mail order operations (that's not the same thing as best practices suited toward fulfilling flawed opinion polls and buyer whims).

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 28 of 47
latest reply

It was kind of you to offer the battery and charger.  Since the buyer didn't want to go that route, I'd just stick with the return for refund eBay option.  You should definitely not refund in advance.

Good luck...

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

This is the definition of used
An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
If the camera originally came with batteries and charger, then they must be included to call the item "used". If you don't have any necessary part of the camera, you need to sell it as "parts, not working'
Message 30 of 47
latest reply