cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot find my prefered chairty. Help please.

I am selling off a bunch of items from an estate of a loved one.  Their wish was that the money from their belongs go to their preferred charity.  I am volunteering my time to list and sell these items on eBay.  100% of the proceeds are to go to the designated charity.

The charity in question is small but has a 60 years history and is well established.  I have contacted them and they are registered with Paypal Giving Fund and I have viewed their Paypal Giving Profile page.  However, when I search for this charity on eBay, it does not come up.  I have even tried searching with their EIN number. 

When I go to the " Let’s see if your charity is already on eBay" and do a search using their EIN, it says, "It looks like you are not enrolled yet."  But when I read the steps to get enrolled, it just says that the Charity has to enroll in the PayPal Giving Fund. which of course, they already are.

I have searched and searched but can find no help anywhere.  Some please help me.  It should not be this hard to do something good in this world. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: I cannot find my prefered chairty. Help please.

This thread is a prime example of my contention (on another thread) that those who answer here and give good information can be, and often are, subject to insults.  A long time ago, came to the conclusion that you need to be thick-skinned to be a responder here.  

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

This thread is a prime example of my contention (on another thread) that those who answer here and give good information can be, and often are, subject to insults.  A long time ago, came to the conclusion that you need to be thick-skinned to be a responder here.  

Amen to that. 

The advice was the only advice anyone can give:  If it's not listed, it's not listed, period, so the chairty must be contacted again because only it can straighten this out with eBay and / or PayPal.

You know, this is the second time in recent memory that someone saying he was, or intended to, sell for charity, has come to this board and been the dictionary definition of the word uncharitable. 

=

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

@soh.maryl 

@maxine*j 

Spot on......

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

After you sell the items donate the money to the preferred charity.   In your case that would seem easier than dealing with ebay.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

If you look at the OP's FB they have not sold here (on this ID anyway) in quite a while.

Did not bother to illuminate about MP, checking account for payouts, new Seller holds, etc.

While the OP is kind in wanting to honor the estate's wishes - as we all know, might be easier said than done.  

I could not assist beyond Door#1, so it seemed futile to expound further.

Wish OP the best as they sort it out.  Grieving and e-Bay, not the best partners.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

"I have no advice on connecting with your chosen charity, but would advise you to make sure you have your ducks in a row regarding taxes. Starting soon you will be getting a 1099-K for sales over $600 cumulatively. Make sure you do not wind up paying out of pocket for your good deeds."

I must admit that I have never done this before and do not understand the complications of which you speak.  This is an old account I had years ago that I used to sell some farm-related products for a year.   It has been seven years since I have sold anything.  I live in Texas and based on my understanding, I have to establish a business and get a state sales tax number to sell more than two items a year on eBay (or anywhere online).  This is why I no longer sale on eBay.  It is too complicated for a non-professional person that just wants to sell a few items.

In this case, since 100% of the profits were going to a 501c3 Tax-exempt charity in Texas charity, I thought that it would be doable.  Evidently, doing good in this world has now become a crime and good people are punished for even thinking about trying to do good with burdensome regulations and threat of fines or prosecution.  What an evil world this is where doing good has to be so complicated and hazardous.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@vintage-camerastuff.

"After you sell the items donate the money to the preferred charity.   In your case that would seem easier than dealing with ebay."

Not for me.  I am not a professional seller and am only doing this to honor a loved one's wishes.  Selling on eBay has become too complicated for no-professionals.  I live in Texas and in order to sell more than two items in a 12-month period, I would have to establish a retail business entity and ally for a sales tax permit.  

This was copied from the Texas Tax Code.

"(a) Sales exempt. A taxable item that is sold or purchased by way of an occasional sale is exempt from sales and use taxes, except as provided by subsection (i) of this section.

(b) Occasional sales by persons not in the business of selling, leasing, or renting.

(1) One or two sales of taxable items, other than an amusement service, during any 12-month period by a person who does not hold himself out as engaged (or who does not habitually engage) in the business of selling taxable items are occasional sales.

(2) The third sale of a taxable item in a 12-month period by a person not previously in the business of selling, leasing, or renting taxable items causes that person to become a retailer. Tax must be collected and reported on the third sale and all subsequent sales unless the sale qualifies for exemption under paragraph (4) of this subsection or subsection (d) or (e) of this section. If three or more sales are made in a 12-month period, then the person must obtain a permit."

The only reason I agreed to do this was that 100% of the proceeds were going to a non-taxable entity, so I would not have to worry about the Texas sales tax issue, since I was not making any profit personally.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man wrote:

"I have no advice on connecting with your chosen charity, but would advise you to make sure you have your ducks in a row regarding taxes. Starting soon you will be getting a 1099-K for sales over $600 cumulatively. Make sure you do not wind up paying out of pocket for your good deeds."

I must admit that I have never done this before and do not understand the complications of which you speak.  This is an old account I had years ago that I used to sell some farm-related products for a year.   It has been seven years since I have sold anything.  I live in Texas and based on my understanding, I have to establish a business and get a state sales tax number to sell more than two items a year on eBay (or anywhere online).  This is why I no longer sale on eBay.  It is too complicated for a non-professional person that just wants to sell a few items.

In this case, since 100% of the profits were going to a 501c3 Tax-exempt charity in Texas charity, I thought that it would be doable.  Evidently, doing good in this world has now become a crime and good people are punished for even thinking about trying to do good with burdensome regulations and threat of fines or prosecution.  What an evil world this is where doing good has to be so complicated and hazardous.

You need to get legal advice on this estate: such sales are income to estate and are taxable due to such. If in Texas..... good luck.

Selling such in your name you will need to keep complete record of what is going on with that money.

Oh and you might be able to charge the estate for your time also...

As for eBay you may; if you have not already sign up for manged payments: or you may find you not getting funds... 

As for the charity you are wanting to donate too,  and what I have seen posted here: well best wait and see how much in your state and the feds will want in taxes......before any donations are done..

Note you might even be able to charge estate for the legal advice also..

Also ebay will treat you as an infrequent seller and you may have long time holds on funds..

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

" I have to establish a business and get a state sales tax number to sell more than two items a year on eBay (or anywhere online). "

eBay handles the collection of all state sales tax; you personally do not have to do anything. However as of 2022, if you receive more than $600 TOTAL (including shipping costs), both you and the IRS will get a 1099 form that shows the total gross amount received as income, and you will have to claim it when filing your annual taxes. Most sellers can manage to alleviate much of it through various deductions. I only mentioned this so you would be aware.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@friskya

If you will read down further on the charity enrolment page past the STEP 1 screenshot you post, This is what you will find this.

Step m2.jpgStep 3.jpg

Step 1, is to get you to step 2 and 3.  Step 2 and 3 are for signing up for the PP Giving Fund, which of course, the Charity already is.

Believe me, I wish this was the answer, but you must understand that I read every word on every eBay charity-related page a dozen times before I ever posted the thread.  eBay offers ZERO help FAQs for the situation I am dealing with.  I would not be here asking for help if it did. 

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man

>100% of the proceeds are to go to the designated charity.

Be careful. eBay is likely to be negotiating some kind of "transfer" or "servicing" fee with participating charities. eBay doesn't do ANYTHING for free.

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man wrote:

@friskya

If you will read down further on the charity enrolment page past the STEP 1 screenshot you post, This is what you will find this.

Step m2.jpgStep 3.jpg

Step 1, is to get you to step 2 and 3.  Step 2 and 3 are for signing up for the PP Giving Fund, which of course, the Charity already is.

It's poorly worded I'll admit, but just think of what you're saying... according to you, no charity currently in PayPal™ Giving Fund will ever qualify to also be a part of eBay Charities. Just by virtue of the fact that they are already in PayPal Giving Fund. That makes no sense.

eBay is NOT saying you have to enroll with eBay first. If that were the case, no charity would ever be able to accept contributions to their giving fund account unless they first enrolled to participate by way of eBay - something not every charity is willing to do.

Simplest explanation I can give you is this - the charity has to request to be part of the eBay for Charities program and in order to do that, they first have to register. If they would like, they can even designate you to be the authorized seller and buyer for them on their account. But - if they haven't already registered, eBay is not going to tell them (or any other charity) that they can't simply because they already have a PayPal™ Giving Fund account.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Was given the phone number to call Paypal Giving Fund but evidently refuses to call to work to resolve?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

While I can appreciate what he wishes to accomplish, the simple fact is that the Charity has to enroll in the program before he can donate.

He makes it sound like Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc. all joined the PayPal™ Giving Fund only after they decided to make their items available on eBay. I personally am aware of at least 2 charities that enrolled in eBays program long after they had their giving funds established at PayPal™. 

One of them was my own (since disbanded due to lack of support)

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 29 of 39
latest reply

@friskya 

Please show me where they need to register with eBay, because that page you pointed to, is about them registering with the PayPal Giving Fund, not registering with eBay.

I have read every page eBay has about this issue, and the only constant I can find  is that the charity needs to be signed up with the PP Giving Fund.  I cannot find a single word anywhere that says the charity needs to be registered a seller on eBay.  I also cannot find anywhere it shows a way for a charity to register with eBay as a charity.  Every page about this points to the charity registering as a PP Giving Fund member.  I am not saying that this is not the case.  I am just saying I have not been able to find what you are talking about.

So, if you kindly point me to the exact page where it says, "Sign up here to be a Charity on eBay," or something similar, I will be glad to pass that information along to the charity.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply