cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking to find a new place to buy and sell.

Screenshot_20240426-131349.pngI buy approximately 5k/ month and sell approx 7k/ month on eBay. You can imagine they make a good amount of of this and my subscription. 

I have recently been the recipient of extortion attempts but 2 buyers and eBay did nothing to protect me. I am furious and do not want to give them another cent if they don't support their big sellers and buyers.

Any help, or words of encouragement?

Thanks, Cory

I already took all of my 200 listings down

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What kind of problems did you have?  You didn't really give much detail in the original post.  Many of us here have experience with bad buyers so we can probably provide some advice to minimize your risks, though you can never eliminate it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

That's very dependent on what you sell, but if you think any other marketplace will be more seller friendly...well, I try not to laugh at sincerity, but it's tempting.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Coins mostly. Silver and occasional gold. 

It doesn't even have to be a move somewhere. Any advice on how to navigate this instead of going in endless circles trying to talk to a human who works at eBay?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

If that's your 90 day total, I find it hard to believe you will find anywhere else that could even come close to generating that kind of traffic.

@dc_stoner wrote:

Any help, or words of encouragement?

Don't let TWO bad experiences make you quit your business entirely.  (unless of course you can afford to just walk away from selling)   Learn whatever lessons you can from those two bad experiences and keep on truckin'.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

What kind of problems did you have?  You didn't really give much detail in the original post.  Many of us here have experience with bad buyers so we can probably provide some advice to minimize your risks, though you can never eliminate it.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Thank you for the blunt answer. I'm flustered like crazy and it's hard not to take it as an attack. I work a normal job at night. I sell on eBay by myself. It's just me. So since these incidents happened back to back I'm wondering if a more experienced seller could help me

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Honestly most the time there's any issue whatsoever I give them a full refund no questions asked and let.them keep the item. As a newer seller I want to support the buyer even if it acts as a loss leader for me 

These are completely different. I could.smell.the extortion coming off of these. And I spend an hour trying to just talk to a human at eBay to no avail.

After finally getting a human, it is an Indian woman who's English is sub par and didn't fully understand what I was implying.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@dc_stoner 

Hi Cory

Those of us here on the community discussion forum are really not supposed to suggest other internet selling outlets.   Given what you are selling, it looks like you're doing pretty good.  Sorry to say, but extortion and fraud is everywhere on the internet.  Not just eBay.

My suggestion would just be to google it and read the reviews left by other sellers.  That could be helpful.

Wishing you well and Good luck!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I get it, you're steamed over the 2 negs you got this month. If you do any kind of volume you will eventually run into problem buyers, don't let it stop your successful ebay dealings. I've been on ebay quite a while and never had 100% positive for too long

You mention "extortion" Did either of those buyers threaten to leave negs if you wouldn't do a partial refund or something like that? If so I believe any neg after such a message can be removed.

Someone more knowledgeable about this will come along and maybe verify

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Buyer 1 receives a coin in a brand new capsule straight from the mint. All of the pictures in the listing is literally of that item. Claims I mislead them, doesn't contact me personally, which I would've given a refund partially anyway.  Instead due to their failure to comprehend,.my shop suffers

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Hi @dc_stoner 

You have experienced a problem faced by most sellers who have chosen to have a ‘no return’ policy:  buyers leaving negative feedback without contacting you first.

Many buyers are unfamiliar with eBay’s buyer protection policies … and think they have no alternative to leaving bad feedback when they are unhappy with the item they receive.  [Both of the buyers appear to have felt ‘tricked’ by the listing photos masking flaws in the items.]

I’m very sorry this happened, but I don’t know what help you expected from eBay that you didn’t receive.  eBay has no way of knowing who is telling the truth about the condition of the item … and prefers that sellers accept returns.

Nobody here is likely to suggest alternative venues to list items.  If they’re here answering questions, they probably still use eBay … despite its flaws.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I have to agree with @rosszonebricks 

Ebay is the leading marketplace for selling all types of collectibles.

With your volume of sales, it is not surprising that you may have some pictures on your listings which are not providing an adequate representation. And you may be pressed for time and forgetting to use all the words you should in the condition statement.

I see lots of images on listings with glare problems. It often can be avoided if one scans the item instead of photographing it, it may also be avoided by adjusting the lighting. Many buyers are unwilling to forgive such problems, and are unhappy with the delays associated with the MBG process unless the seller is extremely responsive.

Sometimes too much success creates too much stress. This is not a criticism of you, this is a recognition of the human condition.

Either find another way to sell, or find a way to limit the stress. I list and sell fewer items than I could because I have limits to my tolerance. You need to find what the appropriate level is for you.

And remember, many buyers will never look at your FB. It is an archaic leftover from the Wild West Days of Ebay, when sellers regularly scrooged buyers and Pierre ignored all of it.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

people are on edge because of many factors these days, i have had a few people come at me harshly recently. best you can do is shrug it off. Little money lost in the long run is not that big a problem and the same issue is on every platform or storefront.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

I see lots of images on listings with glare problems. It often can be avoided if one scans the item instead of photographing it, it may also be avoided by adjusting the lighting.

Or the angle at which you take the photo. I often have to wiggle stuff around in my photo area to get a position where there is no glare-- anything that is encased/wrapped in plastic will be bad for that.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

That coin doesn't look uncirculated and has a scratch on the left side which isn't mentioned in your description.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 20
latest reply