cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel a sale due to error in listing

In researching how to cancel a sale on an item which was incorrectly listed as Free Shipping, I came across this thread:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Cancel-a-Sale-due-to-Error-in-Listing/qaq-p/26...

which said You need to cancel the sale as "cannot fulfill order".  However, my only options under "Why do you want to cancel this order?" were as follows:

• I'm out of stock or the item is damaged
  • Buyer asked to cancel the order
  • Something was wrong with the buyer's shipping address

Was the "error" reason removed from the website? How can I correctly file this correction?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How to cancel a sale due to error in listing

That link shows the seller asking how to cancel due to error in listing
It was never answered by anyone saying that error in listing is a choice for anyone to cancel a sale.

The 2 answers given say cancel for out of stock , which will result in a seller defect, you should not cancel but ship the items & absorb the loss.
You can't say buyer asked to cancel, because they didn't & if  ebay doesn't see it in messages your still able to get a seller defect for trying to get around cancelling the wrong way.

I would not do it if I was you. A small amount of defects drop you below standard, falling below standard means ebay charges you an extra 4% final value fee. Is the shipping on this tiny item worth you being cahrged an extra 4% on everything you sell if you drop below standard?

Good luck

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The incorrect or error in listing applies to actively listed items, NOT items that sold.

You are in an ebay pickle.  Option 1, OOS, gets you at least an ebay booboo, as well as a likely buyer booboo.  Option 2, buyer request cancel, gets you a likely buyer with very hurt feelings, likely to take it out on you via neg feedback.  Option 3, can always hope something wrong with addresses, ebay address does not match Paypal address.  Not very likely.

Anyone smell dill yet?  You don't mention the item, or how much shipping you're on the hook for.  It is possible, I guess, an ebay "glitch" could be a cause for a "Free Shipping" option; it's happened before. 

Otherwise, one of two things.  Belly up and eat the shipping costs (pickles fine, but hold the mayo), or two, contact buyer, explain the pickle you're in, then take it from there.  Buyer may be understanding, might not be.  Or third ( yeah, I know there was no third), if cost of shipping is gonna be exhorbitant, explain to your buyer why you cancelled, then hold your pickle breath.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yea it's a teaspoon size item now relisted for a whole $2.85 shipping and I understand it's a loss because the item was not expensive but I would not want to fall below standard & pay 4% extra on all my FVF's and with sales slow to non existent it would take a long time to crawl out from below. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ummmm...

Ship it for free.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Oh it's Sam Smiley Happy
Hi Sam
When a post says shipping I should know you'll pop in.
I know , I know you ship everything free !
This Sellers items don't fetch nearly as much as what you sell, but I this one I agree , ship it free

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Cancelling because you won't ship an item that you listed with a mistake isn't given as an option as it's not really an acceptable reason.

"Can't fulfill order" would be out-of-stock /damage.  It's close, but not really accurate.  At least you're owning that the reason you aren't sending it is your fault.

If it's the culture, you can ship that for $2.61.  For a $2.61 mistake, I'd eat the loss.  It's not worth wearing a defect for a year.   That's a small price to pay for a lesson -  Not to mention you have it relisted for $2.85 shipping with a 99 cents start price.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I WASTED A GREAT PICKLE ANALOGY FOR............

Two hundred and eighty five PENNIES!?!?  I mean, no disrespect to pennies, but.....

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@megadestroyers

lol - I did say "if"  Seller's solds shows 5gr of culture for $3.99 free shipping.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I would just ship it as others have posted.  I have made shipping errors that has cost me money, I take a deep breath and move on.  

I try to check items after listing for errors, not only here, but whatever site I list on and will not impose my error on any buyer.  Even if a system error like a glitch, I ship.

The choice is yours - but my error, I own it.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You really need to just ship it if the item in question is the culture. 

The culture is relisted for 99cents plus $2.85 shipping, which is less than when it sold for $3.99 and free shipping.Smiley Indifferent

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@spennlue

OP, I concur with the other posters.  Not worth the defect or neg feedback, just ship.

You can't correct a listing error post sale, only pre sale when the item is live.

@megadestroyers

Don't worry, the pickles are still happy!Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

*thud*

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Since no one has mentioned the paying buyer, even in passing...!

You're not the slightest bit concerned about 1) the paying buyer who is expecting their stuff to arrive, or 2) other eBay sellers who won't have the opportunity to sell to your buyer - because your buyer will leave eBay, never to return.

You have been paid, and now it is time to ship.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 14 of 14
latest reply