cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay, the all knowing eye.

I had a large item listed for local pickup.  After the listing closed without selling, someone emailed and said they'd be interested if I added a freight option to the listing.

A few minutes later I get this email from ebay ...

"... We understand that you might not have known about our rules that don’t allow sharing contact information in messages or making an offer to sell outside of eBay. We encourage you to review the details of the policy to understand what you can and can’t do.  At this time, no further action is being taken on your account; we want to educate you on the policy.  Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges, application of fees, suspension of your account(s), and restrictions on listing search page exposure and account features. ..."

A few years ago I had some stuff stolen.  The stuff appeared on ebay a couple weeks later.  The fence is still active and selling stuff on ebay.  I check in on him every once in a while.  His buying and selling privileges remain as they were and he's still a fence.

LOL.  Ebay is insane.

5-21-2017 10-00-35 PM.jpg

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@binderzz wrote:

I had a large item listed for local pickup.  After the listing closed without selling, someone emailed and said they'd be interested if I added a freight option to the listing.

A few minutes later I get this email from ebay ...

"... We understand that you might not have known about our rules that don’t allow sharing contact information in messages or making an offer to sell outside of eBay. We encourage you to review the details of the policy to understand what you can and can’t do.  At this time, no further action is being taken on your account; we want to educate you on the policy.  Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges, application of fees, suspension of your account(s), and restrictions on listing search page exposure and account features. ..."

A few years ago I had some stuff stolen.  The stuff appeared on ebay a couple weeks later.  The fence is still active and selling stuff on ebay.  I check in on him every once in a while.  His buying and selling privileges remain as they were and he's still a fence.

LOL.  Ebay is insane.

eBay has stepped up their software for messages and it is very sensitive now as many report they receive a warning while composing the message.  

Yours seems more serious because you got a message warning after receiving the request from your buyer.  

The buyer's message is clearly not asking to take the item off ebay, they just want you to add a freight option to the listing.

As a protective measure, you might want to call eBay Customer Service, Trust and Safety, and explain to them what happened and ask them to look at the buyer's message.  Tell them you are aware of the policy please note this on your account so that if you are falsely accused again, you are covered.  And if it does happen again, call again and ask them to note it.  Point being you don't want anything to  happen that is not well documented so you don't earn a suspension.  You could also mention the seller who sold your stolen items.

I don't have any experience with this, but just thought through what might be done to protect your selling privileges.

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

"After the listing closed without selling,......."

ebay propoganda.  Closed item without a sale is no longer an "on ebay" item.  Therefore, anything you could possibly discuss with the buyer who initiated contact, after the item closed, is none of their business.  Your item, to do with as you please!

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I don't appreciate being accused by some faceless, nameless ebay automaton of "violating" anything by receiving an email they forwarded asking to add a freight option.

Ebay seems to be a ghost town anymore anyhow.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

"I don't appreciate being accused by some faceless, nameless ebay automaton of "violating" anything by receiving an email they forwarded asking to add a freight option."

Nobody does!!  ebay likes throwing the baby out with the bath water!!  Don't know why I'm hung up on that one.  Seems appropriate.  

Non-herders know better!

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Did the person who contacted you do it through ebay messaging?

So he found you on ebay?

There fore, ebay is entitled to a fee.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Now...If ebay was as concerned with tweaking it's search engine, as it is with tweaking it's paranoia filter, we'd all be the better for it-

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

"There fore, ebay is entitled to a fee."

What, a finders fee?  No they're not.  No sale was made. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

ebay propoganda.  Closed item without a sale is no longer an "on ebay" item.  Therefore, anything you could possibly discuss with the buyer who initiated contact, after the item closed, is none of their business.  Your item, to do with as you please! 

As I recall, EBay's user agreement and policies have always stated that by using their system, you agree that information obtained through an eBay system cannot be used to facilitate outside transactions. 

You are welcome to believe that this does not apply to you, or that a message that comes throguh the eBay message system was not obtained through an eBay system, but I suspect eBay would disagree. 

But that aside .... 

There is no question that the new systesm eBay has put in place to detect off-eBay transactions are pitifully bad. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

"There fore, ebay is entitled to a fee."

What, a finders fee?  No they're not.  No sale was made. 

The guy who asked what the freight fee was?  How did they meet?

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@megadestroyers wrote:

As I recall, EBay's user agreement and policies have always stated that by using their system, you agree that information obtained through an eBay system cannot be used to facilitate outside transactions. 

You are welcome to believe that this does not apply to you, or that a message that comes throguh the eBay message system was not obtained through an eBay system, but I suspect eBay would disagree. 

But that aside .... 

There is no question that the new systesm eBay has put in place to detect off-eBay transactions are pitifully bad. 

Well like with anything else, what drove ebay there?

Maybe sellers like the one the other night gloating how he was able to avoid ebay's fees.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

"The guy who asked what the freight fee was? How did they meet?"

Exactly.  Guy asked about freight shipping.  Again, what fee will ebay collect from that?

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

"You are welcome to believe that this does not apply to you,.........."

For items NOT listed, with a variety of methods to come about contact information, I would say you are most likely correct.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Ebay doesn't seem to be very freight friendly.  All it wants to do is add some language about "contacting the seller" for freight information.

I'd expect the "all knowing eye" to be more helpful.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

I had someone ask me about an item I had listed for a friend; sent the guy to the friend, friend tells me the item is long gone, I took it down, I got a warning. 

I see listings with phone numbers right in them and that apparently slips by, meanwhile to email one I have to cheat the system. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply