cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I list an item that's been Refurbished by someone else?

I have a video game console that comes with the box that says "Refurbished" on it. It is from the company that makes the game console itself. I would like to make a listing that advertises what it is, so that collector's can find it.

However, eBay won't let me make listings with the word "Refurbished" in it, because of the implication that I did the refurbishment without being certified as a refurbisher by eBay.

I understand this, but this means I'm not sure how to list my item in a way that people can actually find it.
Currently I've purposely miss-pelt the word in order to get the listing online, but I don't think people will be able to find it. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

"refurbished"...renovate...recondition...reconstruct. So many similar words might be able to be used. Just a thought.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@mygames19  I would not mis-spell the word, it could interpreted as deceitful or sloppy, like u didn't bother to spell check your listing.

me? i would take plenty of photos showing anything on the box or product that has the word 'refurbished' on it and photos of what the manufacturer says about their refurbished items.

then, in the description area, say to refer to photos # _ _ _ for further info on the product.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

As "used" with a note in the description about refurbished

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I would simply list it as Used, but make sure to show photos like @stuff4divas mentioned. I wouldn't use the word Refurbished in any actual text anywhere in the listing, that has some specific criteria on eBay you don't want to mess with if you didn't refurbish it yourself and aren't providing a warranty beyond the MBG.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@mygames19 wrote:

I have a video game console that comes with the box that says "Refurbished" on it. It is from the company that makes the game console itself. I would like to make a listing that advertises what it is, so that collector's can find it.

However, eBay won't let me make listings with the word "Refurbished" in it, because of the implication that I did the refurbishment without being certified as a refurbisher by eBay.

I understand this, but this means I'm not sure how to list my item in a way that people can actually find it.
Currently I've purposely miss-pelt the word in order to get the listing online, but I don't think people will be able to find it. Any suggestions?

Unless it's still in sealed packaging it's no longer "refurbished", just the usual "used". I just looked at the listing....while it might have been refurbished at one time it obviously isn't anymore.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@slippinjimmy 

Isn't it once refurb'd, forever refurb'd? 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

How do you know the one you bought is the one that was refurbished and not just another placed in that box?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

All refurbished means in the game console arena is that the thing has been cleaned and checked for full function. There are no parts that are pre-emptively replaced or anything like that, it is just a cleaning and a test.  If it was a refurbished unit from someplace like Gamestop it means that something was actually broken on the console, they replaced that and then cleaned it.

It isn't like a rebuilt motor on a car where they actually do anything meaningful.

I would just list it as used. It was used again the second the box was opened and that sticker meant almost nothing. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

@12345jamesstampsI had considered this, but the actual box says "Refurbished" on it and I wanted it to be consistent. That being said, those are all certainly better options then the listing getting misconstrued in any way. I will consider some of your suggestions.

@stuff4divasThis is a good point, and is in fact the reason why I'm gauging responses. I don't like how the cross-messaging can be read as either sloppy or deceitful. I think pointing interested shoppers to specific photos certainly would help.

@redlinearThank you for the suggestion. I tried changing the listing from "Open Box" to "Used", but eBay still flags it as inappropriate because the language "Refurbished" is still present, so that won't work unfortunately.

@brightlightbooksellerUnfortunately the game console in question has plenty of units available for sale, and what makes my listing unique is the fact that the unit has been serviced by the console's manufacturer and comes with the original box that says "Refurbished" on it. If I remove any mention of this, I'm afraid that the listing will simply get buried and not found by collectors who might be interested in it. I agree though that I want to find some way to still draw interested parties in while keeping my language away from "Refurbished" - I may try some of James' Stamps suggestions.

@slippinjimmyWhile I agree with you that the unit is definitely no longer newly refurbished, and I have no interest in suggesting it is - the fact that it comes with the original box designating it as having been refurbished by a Sony service center is what makes the item unique. I have no interest in suggesting the item is still as it was when it was serviced, but I know there are collectors out there who would find interest in specifically the fact that this console has a matching "Refurbished" box. This is where my problem lies - in how to market that without suggesting I actually refurbished it myself and not running foul of eBay's rules on listings.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Plain & simple list it for what it is , save your self aggravation down the road.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I wouldn't get caught up on the wording.

List it as used.

You can say in the description that it was originally refurbished and the box and unit matches, etc.

That's where I would leave it.

I "refurbish" laptops and sell them on here all the time.  But I never use that word.  I list them as used, and may use a word like refreshed, or updated, things like that instead.

But if you aren't doing any refurbishing yourself, then don't use that as a description.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@mygames19 wrote:

However, eBay won't let me make listings with the word "Refurbished" in it, because of the implication that I did the refurbishment without being certified as a refurbished by eBay.

@mygames19 

Refurbished has all but totally been removed as an option. Unless it is something that can be certified with eBay you can not use that option for condition. Same goes for multiple conditions in a listing that includes variations. See attached announcements. Very important to read ALL the fine print. Used, now would be your best option. Because you are technically reselling the item will not likely have access to a warranty. They are non transferable on a site like eBay. You can add the note about manufacturer refurbished. Have you tested to see if it is really in working order? Refer to post 5.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/A-powerful-new-tool-to-help-you-succeed-with-eBay-Refurb...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/New-certified-refurbished-program-requirements/ba-p/3126...

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder if maybe the wording in the original post was not clear enough -
I have no interest in advertising this as actually newly refurbished. What I believe makes this item unique is that it is a Playstation 1 game console that was serviced by Sony themselves in the 90's, and comes with the original box that they would come in when they had been newly refurbished. However, the box has been opened and the console tested and working, so it definitely is not newly refurbished anymore. Despite this, I believe that there is value out there to someone in knowing that this listing comes with that box, and that the box and console's serial numbers match. I want to make this searchable in some way without actually implicating that the unit is still newly refurbished, or crossing any lines with eBay in how I word my title. At the same time, I am concerned that without using the language "Refurbished", a person who might be interested in this sort of item might never find it because I'm not allowed to use that language. That being said, I'm open to suggestions. I've already altered the listing to use a different, real English word instead of a miss-spell, and I've made the language in the listing description more clear to try and avoid any confusion thanks to some  suggestions in this thread. If anyone has any further suggestions then please let me know.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I think your expectations of someone actually looking specifically for a unit that is refurbished with matching box is a bit high.

I would list it as used, you can clarify details on the item in the main description, use something like "serviced by Sony" at one time, but at this point in time, its a used unit, complete with original packaging.

I think you are just trying too hard to list it that way.  If someone is looking for a specific condition, they will take the time to review photos and the detailed description before moving on.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 15 of 18
latest reply