cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one report a seller of counterfeit coins?

I ran across a listing for silver dollars for  2.91 out of canada but in the small print the coin ships from China. Spot on silver today 28.40 so it has to be fake, especially since they are selling an 1884 morgan silver dollar.

My earlier experience of buying fake silver dollars was a 2023 walking liberty silver dollar. Real coins weigh in at 32 grams. What I received weighed 22 grams. I bought 8 of them and I finally(after a year) got the credit on my credit card.  I am trying to talk to someone at ebay about the listing. AI  (Artificial  Idiot) does nothing

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

There's a "Report This Listing" link in every listing. Feel free to report listings you feel violate eBay's counterfeit or replica policy.

But understand, since you also sell coins, eBay agents may feel you are just trying to do away with the competition. Also if there are no other reports eBay won't take down those listings either. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's a game of whack-a-mole. I'd just move on. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I would go further than just reporting the seller to Ebay. This happened to me so I notified the police. The very next day the federal govt sent IRS agents to our home and took possession of them. By the weekend the seller was gone

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

'ONE' doesn't. 

ONLY worry about what YOU buy and Do NOT worry about anything more than that. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The OP didn't buy those coins. The OP just wants to report the listings. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Worrying about that would be taking on a full time job that paid nothing.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Unfortunately unless you buy one and can prove it is counterfeit, i.e. your walking liberty silver dollar, you are only assuming they are counterfeit, although they probably are. I also purchased a counterfeit silver eagle at about book price from a US seller. In my case the coin size, weight and stamping were correct but when I tested it the metal content was off. Opened a NAD chargeback, since eBay process would have required a return of the item which violates federal law, but CC company issued credit in less than 30 days.  

I am in the Washington D.C. area and have taken these counterfeit coins to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and even the Treasure department will do little to try and combat the proliferation. They don't have the resources and there is little they can do to stop China from counterfeiting anything. They did however take down the sellers information and took possession of the counterfeit coins I had which was fine by me I had been refunded for my purchase. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I would go further than just reporting the seller to Ebay. This happened to me so I notified the police. The very next day the federal govt sent IRS agents to our home and took possession of them. By the weekend the seller was gone

Seems strange that the IRS took action since that does not fall under their purview but at least some government entity did something. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

IRS does not deal with counterfeit coins. if anyone showed up it would have been the U.S. Secret Service. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply