cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they make money with free shipping?

Ok, I am looking at a $3.40/CD with free shipping. Ebay will first take 10% from $3.40 which is $0.34 add that to the $3.19 shipping. That's $3.53 already!!! What about the printer ink? the packing materials? And the CD is sold for $3.40? I'm blown away. Time and money wasted!

Do they get bulk shipping label discounts? Enlighten me please.

Please don't say FREE SHIPPING is due to stolen credit cards. I offer free shipping too but that is already included in the buy it now or auction price.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How do they make money with free shipping?

If they do anything like me the free shipping is calculated in overal prices of other higher priced items, the cheaper items are there just to find more buyers. Also high volume sellers do free shipping with low prices on some, you still make money over all. What's important is the end of month profit the seller makes. And buyers who get a bargin from such sellers often come back to the seller for more. It all ads up at least it does for me. Oh I don't use labels I mail with postage stamps. Maybe that seller don't use labels either.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@crazycool71 wrote:

Ok, I am looking at a $3.40/CD with free shipping. Ebay will first take 10% from $3.40 which is $0.34 add that to the $3.19 shipping. That's $3.53 already!!! What about the printer ink? the packing materials? And the CD is sold for $3.40? I'm blown away. Time and money wasted!

Please don't say FREE SHIPPING is due to stolen credit cards. I offer free shipping too but that is already included in the buy it now or auction price.

The hope is probably so you'll buy more than one thing to make the shipping worth it. But they most likely have a heavily discounted shipping rate by pre-sorting it for the post office or some other carrier. There is also the chance the seller is foreign. Might say it comes from Kentucky, but actually China. And they may still subsidize shipping there.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Thread last week with chat about this.

Media mail costs the same whether one uses stamps or an ebay label (except you don't get tracking as far as I know) as a CD can't go letter post as far as I know (too thick).  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@crazycool71 wrote:

In addition to the above, based on some comments I have seen on these boards from (obviously inexperienced) sellers, there seems to actually be sellers who BELIEVE that there really is “free shipping”.

I have seen comments from sellers who were absolutely Stunned, BEWILDERED and absolutely FLUMOXED that THEY were being charged for the shipping and asking why THEY were being charged for shipping when they listed it as “free shipping”.

For example, follows us a direct quite from a poster who I will not name because it is not my intention to embarrass anyone. But it does show the inexperienced knowledge

I am trying to figure out why my listing shows "you pay" when it should show "free shipping".  I have tried every perturbation in the listing to get "free shipping" to replace the "you pay" phrase and nothing works.  Is this some new software problem?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@crazycool71 wrote:

Might be a loss leader to draw sales.  Likely obtained the CD for pennies.  Typically a bulk shipping rate well below where you or I can ship it.  There is a shooting star book seller who does this also.

Typically the condition/quality is not on par.  You get what you pay for.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

...Media Mail has tracking number when label was purchased from either PO counters or self-service kios (as I shipped book to my niece in Florida)...

...and I have seen peoples shipped CD with Flat Rate Envelope post that lead to Postage Due...

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If this is one of the mega sellers like Thriftbooks, they purchase books, CDs and DVDs by the truck and train car load for literally pennies each.  They get huge shipping discounts due to the volume they ship (thousands per day) and they presort by zip and palletize the shipments, saving the carrier a lot of money. I'm not sure what their rate is, but probably $1 or less per package I would guess. 

They also make money with multiple purchases. I buy all of my personal reading books from the Thriftbooks  website because you get points for free books there.  I never buy only one book, I usually will buy three or more at a time.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

IMHO it is foolish to look at a single item and try to make generalizations about a seller's entire business model. 

It is quite possible that your initial premise is incorrect - that the seller is not expecting to make a profit selling individual items. 

Some sellers are willing to break even on individual sales because they know that most of their buyers will purchase multiple items.

If a buyer purchases three CDs from the seller in question, all of a sudden that seller is getting $10.20 for that same shipping costs as a single CD which is clearly profitable. 

If a seller gets 5,000 sales and make $50,000, does it really matter if he made a little profit on all or them, versus losing money on some of them and making big money on others? 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

depending who you ship with there are programs that if you ship certain amount, you get very great rates. I use ups innovations, as long as i ship 600 pcs per week i pay $2 per shipment economy 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

this was genious to say. Look many of us buy stuff in bulk. so it is not about how much money each single item makes and does it cover shipping, it is strictly about if the lot covers its cost and shipping. So if i paid 300 for 5000 pcs of clothing, and i sell them each for $5 free ship with no teetering in any price point then maybe it would stand to reason i am in a losing gave, but one shirt may sell for $1 but another for $100 - I say start your auction at the shipping rate plus $1 if you are insecure, if you know you have a hot item, let your customers have fun bidding away. Research your stuff thats how you find out the model you need to use;

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

"How do they make money with free shipping?"

Perhaps they were looking out the window and daydreaming during third grade math.  Perhaps their brain isn't wired to do math.   This does not mean they are stupid, just other skills dominate.  Also not everyone is here to make money.  They just want to clear out and keep things out of the landfill.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

In addition to the above, based on some comments I have seen on these boards from (obviously inexperienced) sellers, there seems to actually be sellers who BELIEVE that there really is “free shipping”.

I have seen comments from sellers who were absolutely Stunned, BEWILDERED and absolutely FLUMOXED that THEY were being charged for the shipping and asking why THEY were being charged for shipping when they listed it as “free shipping”.

For example, follows us a direct quite from a poster who I will not name because it is not my intention to embarrass anyone. But it does show the inexperienced knowledge

I am trying to figure out why my listing shows "you pay" when it should show "free shipping".  I have tried every perturbation in the listing to get "free shipping" to replace the "you pay" phrase and nothing works.  Is this some new software problem?

When it comes to those sellers you can't fix stupid. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@savinghumanity1childatatime wrote:

this was genious to say. Look many of us buy stuff in bulk. so it is not about how much money each single item makes and does it cover shipping, it is strictly about if the lot covers its cost and shipping. So if i paid 300 for 5000 pcs of clothing, and i sell them each for $5 free ship with no teetering in any price point then maybe it would stand to reason i am in a losing gave, but one shirt may sell for $1 but another for $100 - I say start your auction at the shipping rate plus $1 if you are insecure, if you know you have a hot item, let your customers have fun bidding away. Research your stuff thats how you find out the model you need to use;

Yep. A couple of years back I bought an entire garbage bag of NWT stuffed animals at a rummage sale for $20. I sold one of them for $20, so when I list the rest, they're all going to be pure profit because I already made my money back in that one sale.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply