cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can eBay regain seller confidence?

With the recent change in eBay leadership, nervous sellers off loading product to other sites and buyer disinterest, it is paramount that eBay deliver an outstanding 4th quarter sales improvement.

What will it take to generate buyer excitement and bring them back to the site?

Forget seller issues like MP, GTC, etc for this thread please.

I'd like to hear thoughts on buyer enticements, loyalty programs, advertising and marketplace presentation.   

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: How can eBay regain seller confidence?

@yuzuha wrote:

It does not cost $6.95 to mail something under 1 lb, for example, so they are making a profit on the shipping of every item under 1 lb, which then goes to offset the loss from the shipping of heavier items.

Do Poshmark buyers yell and scream at their sellers about being overcharged for shipping when they buy lightweight items? Just curious...I've never used Poshmark, not as a buyer nor seller. Not sure if they have a forum or not.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 76 of 80
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

It does not cost $6.95 to mail something under 1 lb, for example, so they are making a profit on the shipping of every item under 1 lb, which then goes to offset the loss from the shipping of heavier items.

Do Poshmark buyers yell and scream at their sellers about being overcharged for shipping when they buy lightweight items? Just curious...I've never used Poshmark, not as a buyer nor seller. Not sure if they have a forum or not.

Absolutely.  I have a couple of friends who tried selling there and gave it up because they got tired of people complaining about the shipping.  My friends were trying to clean out their closets, so they weren't selling large/heavy/high-value stuff, mostly just shirts and tops that they no longer wanted.  Buyers don't like paying $6.95 shipping for a $5-10 dollar shirt.

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

I agree with what you are saying about a lot of sites averaging the shipping costs. However, I would like to point out that Ebay does make money on our shipping. I have noticed that if I have something that weighs say 5 pounds and I have put 7 pounds in the listing then I go to ship it and change it to to the 5 pounds that it weighs the costs charged to me never ever is less than what the buyer paid. It is still always around .30 to .50 higher than what the buyer paid. ALWAYS. It does not matter what you do the seller always is charged more than the buyer has been charged. ALWAYS.
Message 78 of 80
latest reply

There must be something wrong with the way you're doing the shipping in the listing. I've always received slightly more than it costs to ship (unless I made an error myself when listing).

Are you passing on carrier discounts to your buyers? If you use ebay labels and you're using the retail cost to buyers on the listing you will always get the online label discount price.
Message 79 of 80
latest reply

Amen

Message 80 of 80
latest reply