cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a seller compete with a seller whose products are way underpriced?

I see a few sellers selling the same products at my cost and I will lose money if I sell them that cheap. Is there a way to overcome this and sell the same item?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

If one cannot compete on price, then beat them on customer service, faster shipping and handling, better listings, clearer photos, etc. The lowest priced seller isn’t always the better choice.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Improve your acquisition cost.  Seriously.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@stevendevinc wrote:

I see a few sellers selling the same products at my cost and I will lose money if I sell them that cheap. Is there a way to overcome this and sell the same item?

You are very brave, there is no way that I would ever have the nerves to sell what you are selling.

As far as your question you have to find things at very low prices to make it reselling on ebay because people come here for bargains, if they were willing to pay full retail they would go somewhere else.

For the most part your average seller can not source items from normal wholesale channels and resell them on ebay for a profit, to many sellers who have loads of merchandise that they got for pennies on the dollar from the gray or black market and can and will go as low as necessary to sell it. 

Also you have the sellers who buy large enough to get deals that we can not get and also the manufacturers themselves to compete against.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You've had no sales with your current business plan.  It may be time for a rethink.  You have to lower your prices and costs.  Maybe the competition is buying wholesale or close outs of discontinued styles.   Think about where you got your inventory?  Are there other places you can acquire items?  Selling successfully may take more strategy and actual physical work than you expect.  Maybe your competition goes to outlet stores every day to hunt for merchandise.  Tampa has an outlet mall.  Imagine the relationships you'd make with store employees and how that could help you.  

You can't expect to sell at manufactured suggested retail prices at the world's biggest flea market or garage sale, even for designer purses.   People are looking for bargains.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Need more pictures for some of your items........2 is not enough for high end stuff.......especially need pic of exterior bottom in most.  Should have color/measurements in inches.......  Most say "new with tags", but I see no tags.....assuming tags mean hang tags.....I know nothing about purses.

I always "think" it helps to cast some doubt on other's items.....in an abstract way.  For new hand bags, I'd probably put something like "show NO sign of shelf ware" (dirty bottoms or metal scratches)..  that could create some doubt about the condition of other listings.  But you've got to "prove it" with pics. 

I do agree with others that you may need to "shop" other items before buying ....there look to be several of the $399 Kors bag for less than $150 (new, also).......

just thoughts

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Those sellers who are way underpriced won't be around for long.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

We'll you certainly aren't going to get any sales in Canada cuz your shipping cost is showing 200$. Absurd lol

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Neither will the ones that are overpriced...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@stevendevinc wrote:

I see a few sellers selling the same products at my cost and I will lose money if I sell them that cheap. 

Don't list items where you will lose money to be competitive on price

with other ebay sellers

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@stevendevinc wrote:

Checking just on the first two items of your listings that I see, the Coach C3411 Wallet and the Michael Kors suede handbag, the price difference between yours and some of your competitors selling the same thing is so great that I don't think there is anything you can do without taking a big loss if your competitors are selling at your cost of purchase.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, I found out this ebay thing isn't as easy as it looks, for sure.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@stevendevinc wrote:

@stevendevinc 

I don't know how to overcome it. You bought poorly to resell here, it appears. Good luck, though.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Lots of sellers will darn near give items away, take a loss on some items.  Just to gain customers for other items.  (I doubt that's what happening in your case though).
Seller overstocked, just trying to dump inventory....with the added advantage/bonus of above.
Seller that sourced in bulk quite a bit cheaper than you did?
Individual seller (not a business) just trying to get rid of something they don't want?  (Can't compete with that, don't try.  Just assume they will get the 1st sale, and you will get the next)

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The difference between your MK Slouch Bag at $399 vs another seller at $125?? (both New) You have no chance. It's either an 'old style' or you wait until the $125 sells (it shows on sale, was $389)

Message 15 of 16
latest reply