cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Would You Respond?

(This is my posting ID)

Had a buyer purchase a brand new pair of shoes last week (with attached tags, but no box as stated in the listing). Just received this message from a buyer and am curious how other sellers here would respond:

"From the beginning, I should've left well enough alone. The shoes were too narrow, so I decided to loosen the shoestrings. In doing so, they ‘shortened’ so I couldn’t tie them. So I decided to add the extra pair of shoestrings that came with the shoes. I had to make some adjustments & cut both pairs of shoestrings. I’ve been wearing the shoes around the house, hoping they’ll be ok to support my arches. I have very high arches & the shoes I got years ago were perfect for me. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore, can’t get them anywhere in my size. I was hoping the pair I bought from you would work. They have not & my feet are aching severely, so I need to return the shoes."

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: How Would You Respond?

"and keep the laces??"

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Yeah, it's an odd message, not sure if I've ever gotten one quite like it before. Basically she says she's used the shoes and has modified them and now wants to return. Weird.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Since you offer returns, I'd reply with (something like)...

"I'm sorry the shoes didn't work for you. Please return them for a refund."

The refund is for buyer's remorse, and they've cut the laces and worn them... so the refund amount would be for what they paid, less the shipping and half the sales price. But I wouldn't lead with that part...

Gone are the days of "You break it, you bought it!"

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Me...I'd say....I'm sorry. I can not provide a refund for the shoes you have modified.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

As she didn't initially file a case, I'd ask her what she thinks is the fair thing to do... considering they are no longer new, have been altered and if returned have to be discounted. 

Most people want to do the right thing.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@lovemypommy wrote:

Yeah, it's an odd message, not sure if I've ever gotten one quite like it before. Basically she says she's used the shoes and has modified them and now wants to return. Weird.

Lol yes I know, it's weird. But I meant that's what I would actually reply "and keep the laces??"... and leave the ball in their court if they wanted to elaborate on what they want. It may not be professional, but who says business had to always be professional 100% of the time. Sometimes buyers' conscience makes them be more understanding when they have to say it or "type it" out loud. They may already start to back off and demand less.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

She has now opened a return request using the "Doesn't fit" reason. This is ok as she has to pay to ship them back and I will make sure that some of the money is withheld to compensate for her trying to "fix them". 

*Sigh*

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

And now I just got another message that the return request has been closed...by the buyer. Wow, am I confused.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Being that you voluntarily accept returns, you should eccpet the return and pay for return shipping.

Once you get the item back, issue a refund (full or partial) depending on te condition of the shoes. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

If I had to guess I'd say that once they found out that they had to pay for the return shipping they closed the request and will now open a case. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@lovemypommy wrote:

And now I just got another message that the return request has been closed...by the buyer. Wow, am I confused.

If I remember right, one reason for a buyer's request to be closed is if they have actually asked eBay to step in, which escalates the "request" to a "case." In doing so, the "request" is closed when the "case" is opened, so I'm not sure you're out of the woods here. Is there still a case open that is awaiting your response? If you selected the "Return for Refund" response, then a label will be issued to the buyer and they're expected to return the item to you first.

Just my $.02 here, but I would not consider cutting or replacing laces to be "modifying" the shoe. I've always thought of laces as being expendables, but then I'm not selling expensive shoes on eBay, so... 😁

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

For now(if it were me) I would let sleeping dogs lie. If your buyer picks up where they left off I would probably follow the advice of  "byrd69er".  Also there is an ebay proviso pertaining to buyers returning an altered product. I would also be willing to bet that you are not the first one  they've  pulled the shoe trial-and-error routine with.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Being that you voluntarily accept returns, you should eccpet the return and pay for return shipping.

Once you get the item back, issue a refund (full or partial) depending on te condition of the shoes. 

There is no reason for the seller to pay return shipping for remorse unless they offer "free" returns.   If your answer was sarcasm you should locate an emoji to add to your posts.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

There is no reason for the seller to pay return shipping for remorse unless they offer "free" returns.   If your answer was sarcasm you should locate an emoji to add to your posts.

@lovemypommy 

I agree that the seller doesn't owe for return shipping... it's remorse. And I still feel that I'd discount the refund... to resell, you're at least going to have to buy new laces. Plus lower the selling price for the change in condition.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply