cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Ebay cheats sellers

I recently sold an item which was listed as buyer pays shipping. I specifically put in the exact wieght of the package and the dimensions. Ebay gave a range of 16-84 dollars. The auction ended and Ebay tells the buyer to pay $25 for shipping and then charges me $35 dollars for shipping. And then are they going to charge me a final fee value on the $10 they cheated me out of. I sure somewhere in Terms and Conditions that they can legally cheat sellers. I have a lot of antiques to sell, but I can't deal with this dishinestly. Any recommendations for other online auction sites.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

How Ebay cheats sellers

Did you ship by the same service selected by your buyer?  There are a number of shipping services you can offer, but not print a label for.  Parcel select is now one of them.

You can print a parcel select label through paypal and enter the tracking # into eBay.  Or use a free service like pirateship.com that can import the address, and then send the tracking # back to eBay.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

We can probably help figure out what went wrong if you provide specific details, including package weight and dimensions, service used (e.g., Priority Mail?), both ZIP Codes, and both exact prices.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

@zickbearcat wrote:

I recently sold an item which was listed as buyer pays shipping. I specifically put in the exact wieght of the package and the dimensions. Ebay gave a range of 16-84 dollars. The auction ended and Ebay tells the buyer to pay $25 for shipping and then charges me $35 dollars for shipping. And then are they going to charge me a final fee value on the $10 they cheated me out of. I sure somewhere in Terms and Conditions that they can legally cheat sellers. I have a lot of antiques to sell, but I can't deal with this dishinestly. Any recommendations for other online auction sites.

They’re charging FVF on what the buyer paid, i.e. $25, not $35. 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

I have several other gig businesses including building recycled wood into small planter boxes that I planned to ship as flat pack kits.   Once the size of the box exceeds any standard size the UPS and FED Ex shipping rates became ridiculous so I scrubbed the plan.  But I did take the time to drive to the UPS and FedEx shipping locations close to me and had the employees at each location calculate the best scenario to ship to Alaska, Florida and Maine.   

Did you do any advanced research on the actual cost to ship the item or just let a website mislead you?

I sell my planter boxes off the tailgate of my truck and no one pays shipping or tax.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

....."I specifically put in the exact wieght of the package and the dimensions. Ebay gave a range of 16-84 dollars. ...."

What is a range? If you enter a weight and the dimensions and the type of service, you get a calculated price for the selected service.... eBay does not tell the buyer what to pay.....(if there is optional services)...the buyer selects which service they prefer at checkout....If you listed the item at a "Flat Rate" price....that is what they charge and you determined that rate....

I am confused...what am I missing?

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

One thing to remember with calculated shipping, you see the price to ship to your zip code, the buyer see to ship theirs.

Without being able to see the cost break down, we can only guess. We can not see the weight and sizes you used. We can not see where it was shipped to. We can not see what level of service was used.

Maybe come back and fill in some of those blanks.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

When I looked at your McCoy planter it gave a price of approx. $23. priority mail to me and $35. parcel select ground to my location.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Adding to my above post.

So when the buyers pay, they pay the shipping to their zip code and that is what they see, not the shipping to you the sellers zip that you see.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

@monica-sells wrote:

....."I specifically put in the exact wieght of the package and the dimensions. Ebay gave a range of 16-84 dollars. ...."

What is a range? If you enter a weight and the dimensions and the type of service, you get a calculated price for the selected service.... eBay does not tell the buyer what to pay.....(if there is optional services)...the buyer selects which service they prefer at checkout....If you listed the item at a "Flat Rate" price....that is what they charge and you determined that rate....

I am confused...what am I missing?

You’re missing the fact that the buyer’s location also affects the shipping cost. 

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

One thing to remember with calculated shipping, you see the price to ship to your zip code, the buyer see to ship theirs.

And you can temporarily change your zipcode.

This allows you a glimpse at what your customers see.

I do this using 90210 usually (I am in Canada), but I also have the zipcode for DisneyWorld on file.

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

agreed....

but where is the "cheat"

how can ebay charge the buyer $25 and the seller $35????

All the FVF are on the Final Sales Numbers.....

and no single service has a range of $16-$84 domestic shipping

(well...maybe Puerto Rico and AK or Hawaii)...but even so, the FVF or based on the final sale numbers

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Two things.....Were the exact weight and dimensions in the listing as opposed to you plugging those numbers in when you went to print the label?  Very important that they are correct in the listing itself.  

Did you choose the method of shipping that the buyer selected?  The eBay shipping page doesn't always show the buyer selected method at the top (they need to fix this, but they won't)...sometimes you have to scroll down on the shipping page to see it.  

So for example if buyer chose UPS ground, and you chose a UPS 3 day select label, therein lies your difference.  Same with USPS Priority vs. Parcel depending on the size and weight of the box.

eBay wants buyers to get their items quickly, and the idiot thing is they don't care if it costs extra money to do that.  I have had sales where I put USPS First Class in the listing, items under a pound, when I go to print the label the darned Priority is right there at the top...even though the buyer chose FC.  If we are not careful we to look for that "buyer selected" we are out that extra cost.  Pretty ridiculous I know.  

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

I don't buy from ebay. So I did not know they did that. Thank you

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

How Ebay cheats sellers

Item id 275083086289

Message 15 of 47
latest reply