cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible, unfair selling fees!

tommybarter
Adventurer

Wow, just got my first payout for a sale with the new "Etheft" policy. 12.55% fee on EVERYTHING! Unreal to charge a % on shipping (which we pay out) AND TAXES (which we don't see any of). Will be using Reverb and will look into other sites to sell musical/other gear on. This and booting paypal to have access to our bank accounts is absurd. Nearing my end here!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Godspeed.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Yes, one less seller with which to compete.   Ciao.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Godspeed.

Most of these complainers about fees sure wouldn't last a month renting in an antique mall!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Godspeed.

Another one who rants without knowing the facts

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Bye- eeeee!

FYI- you still have listing up, you may want to end them in case you sell something and get charged those outrageous fees

Good Luck to greener pastures!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

OK.  eBay's fees are clearly detailed in several places.  It's always a good idea to read that information before listing items for sale just so there are no surprises.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

So in getting rid of PP, you now now what your cost are;

Wow this is shocking that so many sellers had not a clue to the cost of selling on ebay...

Again Managed Payments strikes again for a good thing. Folks be a learning the reality of selling on eBay and da cost of such.

Good luck in what ever you do.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Constantly increasing fees and shipping expenses seems to be here to stay in the ecommerce world.  The bigger sites are all managing payments as they make money from that process.  The "folks in charge" of this country decided that it is perfectly legal for ecommerce platforms to add shipping cost and sales tax into the total sale amount and collect a fee on the whole shebang.  While we sellers cry not fair nobody listens, nobody cares.  It's not their wallet being pilfered.

All payment processors must have access to your bank account in order to directly deposit funds from sales, and of course, deduct any disgruntled buyer credit card chargeback.  Paypal has access to your bank account.  Payment processors are subject to U.S. Federal Oversight and are held to strict standards of safety and liquidity. 

Moving your entire inventory to another site may or may not create the financial windfall you hope for.  Often the buyers aren't there so sales are fewer.  There is still the inherent risk of chargebacks, returns, damaged merchandise returns, lost shipments, etc., which you will have to handle with little or no support from the site. 

Many sellers spread their inventory across two or more platforms.  More eyes on the merchandise means more sales.  (If you have inventory people want to purchase).

Can you raise your prices enough to cover the increased fees and remain competitive?  eBay has millions of members spending money every day.  Are you sure you want to give up access to that potential buyer pool?      

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Aren't musical instructions in one of the categories that are charged the lowest fees?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I was going on an on last week about the guitar sellers getting the best deals VS watch sellers

I remember you could sell a $1000 guitar for only $40 + paypal

that was maybe 10 or 11 years ago when  the rates went up to like 7% just for ebay + paypal for a combined 10 percent

guitar sellers have ben treated like royalty and I hear its because  the competition has low low rates

back in the good old days on paypal my $1000 watch would only cost me 70 to sell...........now its 150

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Have always felt eBay’s fees are fair considering the platform gives me a global market in which to sell my items.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Reverb is owned by Etsy lol.  Have fun there.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@tommybarter 

Did you not notice what the fee's were when you sold the item in July?

Have a great day.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

WFT! I just got my first payout and it's cost me over 33% of my selling price. They added in shipping and taxes, plus and extra $10 with no explanation whatsoever. A few years ago a class action caught them on this , but apparently they didn't care and are Doing It Again!

Message 15 of 23
latest reply