cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a fun one. What to do?

So I sell this guy an action figure. He used BIN. When I went to make out his address label, I wasn't really comfortable with it. It was the address eBay was providing as the shipping address, but still a strange one. But the buyer did have 9 FB's so he must be receiving his purchases,I thought.
But instead of making the label, I contacted the buyer and wrote: This is the correct address I should ship to?
Crickets
So the next afternoon, I tried one more time.
Nada.
So that night I printed the label and shipped it the next day. (Had to...my "handling" time was up).
So I watched the tracking and breathed a sigh of relief when it showed it was delivered yesterday afternoon. 
And then last night I get this. I didn't edit this...this is what was sent in it's entirety:

"your website would not let me put the new address to were I moved to, I sent three emails saying this my new address. (very upset)
I noticed that on your website you can not leave negative feedbacks. I'm going to talk to my bank about getting my money back if I can't get the action figure and in great shape"

So I wrote back:

"Hello.....please understand... it's not my website. It's eBays. And eBay FORCES us sellers to always ship to the eBay address on record. I tried to contact you twice about verifying your address and you didn't answer.
Here's the tracking for your item:

The item was delivered.Tracking summary:"

And the rest of the post shows the tracking as it made it's way to his "Old" address.

So.....what would you do?
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I would have explained to the buyer that you CAN in fact change your shipping address with ebay.

People do it all the time. 

It doesn't seem like you will be able to reason with this person.

Not much you can do other than hope the buyer does not file a chargeback.

They would lose a ebay INR but most likely win a chargeback.

Sorry this happened to you. 

Never a dull moment selling on ebay.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@joliztoyco wrote:

So I sell this guy an action figure. He used BIN. When I went to make out his address label, I wasn't really comfortable with it. It was the address eBay was providing as the shipping address, but still a strange one. But the buyer did have 9 FB's so he must be receiving his purchases,I thought.
But instead of making the label, I contacted the buyer and wrote: This is the correct address I should ship to?
Crickets
So the next afternoon, I tried one more time.
Nada.
So that night I printed the label and shipped it the next day. (Had to...my "handling" time was up).
So I watched the tracking and breathed a sigh of relief when it showed it was delivered yesterday afternoon. 
And then last night I get this. I didn't edit this...this is what was sent in it's entirety:

"your website would not let me put the new address to were I moved to, I sent three emails saying this my new address. (very upset)
I noticed that on your website you can not leave negative feedbacks. I'm going to talk to my bank about getting my money back if I can't get the action figure and in great shape"

So I wrote back:

"Hello.....please understand... it's not my website. It's eBays. And eBay FORCES us sellers to always ship to the eBay address on record. I tried to contact you twice about verifying your address and you didn't answer.
Here's the tracking for your item:

The item was delivered.Tracking summary:"

And the rest of the post shows the tracking as it made it's way to his "Old" address.

So.....what would you do?

Love the "your website"

Love the "sent 3 emails"

Love the "can't leave negative feedbacks"

Hopefully buyer thinks negative feedback can't be left and won't try further (won't succeed).

Ride it out and hope/pray for the best... Happy thoughts.

Buyer gets blocked IMO

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

An INR chargeback should be completely covered by eBays seller protections as the seller shipped to the address on the order, within their handling time, and have 'delivered' tracking.

All you really can do is apologize that you are required to ship to the address on the order. That you have to ship within the handling time on the listing. And if they have any issues with the website they need to contact eBay as you have no access.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

You did what you could.  You tried to give them VERY good customer service.  The great thing is you are protected by Ebay Seller protection.  It is the best protection we have on this site.  So if they file a claim through Ebay, you will win.  If they file a Chargeback and if the CCC doesn't agree and refunds the buyer, it would Be Ebay that would have to use their money for the refund because you are protected by seller protection.

And that nice little perk we gain from the retirement of the Power Seller program did you good today.  Buyers can't leave a negative or neutral FB on a TRS with 7 days of the purchase.  That perk was designed to stop just what you describe.  I'm glad it too worked for you.

You will be fine in this as will your account and your money.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I would have explained to the buyer that you CAN in fact change your shipping address with ebay.

People do it all the time. 

It doesn't seem like you will be able to reason with this person.

Not much you can do other than hope the buyer does not file a chargeback.

They would lose a ebay INR but most likely win a chargeback.

Sorry this happened to you. 

Never a dull moment selling on ebay.   😉

You are right, they can, but just for clarity, NOT after the payment gets issues and an address given.  We must ship to that address on the payment.  If the buyer changes it after the fact and if we do as they ask, we lose our seller Protections and it certainly isn't worth it.

If a buyer files an INR Chargeback, the seller should still win because they are protected by the Ebay rules.  If the CCC determines the buyer is to be refunded, it would be out of Ebay's pocket.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Only part I don't Agree with (not with you, but ebay).  If the buyer opens an INR, even if they win because they did everything right. Provided good customer service. Really couldn't have done anything different. The INR still counts in the metrics. Not a fan of that.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

You might want to tactfully point out that a forwarding notice at their local post office could have avoided this.  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

On my selling account, I added this to all my listings:

"We ONLY ship to your CONFIRMED Ebay shipping address. Please confirm this is correct BEFORE you make your purchase! It is for your own protection as a buyer!"

The buyer can change the ship to address as they checkout. The buyer can have their mail forwarded (for free) when they move.

I think you did all you can do with it.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You did what you could.  You tried to give them VERY good customer service.  The great thing is you are protected by Ebay Seller protection.  It is the best protection we have on this site.  So if they file a claim through Ebay, you will win.  If they file a Chargeback and if the CCC doesn't agree and refunds the buyer, it would Be Ebay that would have to use their money for the refund because you are protected by seller protection.

And that nice little perk we gain from the retirement of the Power Seller program did you good today.  Buyers can't leave a negative or neutral FB on a TRS with 7 days of the purchase.  That perk was designed to stop just what you describe.  I'm glad it too worked for you

You will be fine in this as will your account and your money.

@mam98031 @  I wondered if that deal with the feedback had carried over from the power seller days. Good to hear it is still working. 7 day cooling off period 😉

Posting ID
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

sounds like a scammer. 

What was so weird about the address without giving personal info.? Did you Google Map the address to see what it looks like?

I would report the buyer to eBay. Beat them to the punch of opening a case. Tracking shows delivered and the timing of delivery and then the buyer contacting you just tells me they are up to no good. They didn't respond to you about confirming the address. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

His address went like this:
Name
Last name @ aol.com (???)
Apt 513B
City
State Zip
When I sent his messages,I expressed my concern over the lack of a street name in his address. I also did search online and pulled up his addy which DID show a street. Which I would have been happy to add if he would of confirmed it.
Sadly, it was all wasted effort as the buyer had moved. But the part I really don't understand is not changing his shipping address on eBay. 
Such a simple thing and all of this could have been avoided.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

If a buyer makes a dispute with their credit card on a purchase through eBay....eBay will use their money and not take it away from the seller's funds? Is this something new on a certain program with eBay? I thought when there is a dispute with a credit card it's out of eBay's hands and the funds are withdrawn from the seller's account.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@soh.maryl   Does USPS forward parcels? Because Canada Post does not.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Only part I don't Agree with (not with you, but ebay).  If the buyer opens an INR, even if they win because they did everything right. Provided good customer service. Really couldn't have done anything different. The INR still counts in the metrics. Not a fan of that.

Oh that is a whole separate conversation.  The Service Metrics is something I have fought against since the day I found out about it.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply