cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have your sales after Labor Day been horrific????

Mine has just been 2 and yours?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Have your sales after Labor Day been horrific????

I do have this inventory up (on my main and secondary accounts).  I've sold clothing for 5 years, so I know when to put things up pretty well by now. What seems to be different from previous years is that I would still get a decent amount of warm weather clothing selling well into October, but there have been far fewer of those sales this year (which is kind of suprising considering last winter was so warm).   Transition clothing typically does well too this time of the year (e.g., maxi dresses that you can wear a cardigan over), but that also seems slower than normal.    My jackets and college team clothing are selling about as expected for this time of the year.

Now that I think of it, maybe it is Irma and Harvey related (people who are still buying  clothing for warmer weather in later summer/early fall are  often are from warm places like FL and TX)

Message 31 of 49
latest reply

Sales for me have been miserable for *months* not days or weeks.  I used to list 30-60 items a week and sell every one of them.  Now I tried listing 10-20 a day, not consistently, but sometimes as much as 60 items in a day, and I'm struggling to sell more than a couple pieces.  I have no motivation to keep trying, it's so discouraging to work so hard with absolutely no result at all.  Of more than 100 items that I listed last week, only 1 item is being bid on.  That's so disgusting.  I have an entire storage unit filled with stuff that I can't even sell for a dollar!  I know some things are just not as desirable as others, but geez I used to have no problem at all, I'd sell everything I listed. I have a basic store subscription, have tried all the promotions available all at once, without even the slightest improvement. I currently have a sales promotion, a donation promotion, free shipping on some items, nothing is working.  They tell me I need more traffic. Well, I've done everything I can do, and I'm still invisible.  And to upgrade my store subscription for $75 a month--can't even comprehend that when I can't even make that much in a week.  

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

Anything to do with "Full Item Disclosure Button"? Shortened descriptions and/or altered by EBay without seller knowing it????
Message 33 of 49
latest reply

Just listed my first item on Bonanza today! sales on ebay are so bad, never before like this. never even thought of selling on another platform. hopefully bonanza will  do well, we are looking into other platforms too.

ebay is favoring sellers who opt in to their ridiculous guaranteed delivery fiasco as well  as the changes to the return policy just announced:

• Get more exposure for listings that offer free 30-day returns
  • Beginning this fall, refund up to 50% of the item price if the return is damaged or missing parts
  • Starting in October, eBay will automatically accept a return request when the buyer pays for return shipping
  • In 2018, restocking fees will no longer be available when you offer free returns

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

This raises a really good question for sellers.
When do insurance checks usually start coming in?
People will be replacing things and possibly looking to do some mood lifting shopping.
Message 35 of 49
latest reply

3 sales this month only and 1 non paying. Looks like Ebay flicked the Christmas switch early this year for the big box store sellers. Sales on other sites are booming.

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@cupidsandcherubs3  Order quantity seems okay but $$ volume is low ... the general feel is sales are "meandering" along.   Vacations, schools back in sessions, a couple of hurricanes ... I am surprised sales aren't worse.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 37 of 49
latest reply

There are certain months of the year  that seem to be slower than others.  In general I heard on NPR that retail sales and internet sales tanked  a bit this month and some of it was probably brought on by these natural disasters. It will pick up.

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

I, have thought this too.....

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@cupidsandcherubs3  Order quantity seems okay but $$ volume is low ... the general feel is sales are "meandering" along.   Vacations, schools back in sessions, a couple of hurricanes ... I am surprised sales aren't worse.

agree with all you said.

my issue is not about selling or having sales on ebay.

the hardest is finding something sellable.

or something cheap enough to be resold on ebay.

online venues have pretty much made everything worthless (at least in my categories).

i'd wish i owned 1 of these so called thrift shop

they get merchandise for free, charge an arm and a leg and don't seem to run out of customers.

was at Savers today.

was going to buy a pair of sterling watch tips.

looked like $4.99.

not that it was a million dollars item (last pair i sold went for $12.95).

but those were a little nicer.

the price was actually $49.99.

even my cashier had to ask the other cashier.

it was actually marked like 4.999 (i missed the 3rd 9).

the same shop is selling gold filled pins for $19.99.

i just don't get it.

my sales are not that bad for September considering all that has been happening.

have sold 29 items so far.

hopefully i will end at 1k on this user name like last month.

but my item average is just low... not even $15 per item...

i just can't seem to find "hot" items to re-sell.

and cheap enough.

everything i buy ends up being a disappointment.

i would buy a GF pin but surely not at $20.

GF is a good buy and value if listed as a lot.

and there is so much competition fighting for so few items in thrift shops.

might have to start buying on ebay again.

had been taking a break in the last few months.

will be spending the whole day tomorrow listing new items.

my sales increase when i list new items.

and along the way 1 buys something from my stale inventory.

letoulousain
Message 40 of 49
latest reply

Sales are holding up quite well.  Many collectible items are going international so the recent US weather problems are irrelevant.  In my commodity store I opted in to GD (handling time only) and sales are noticeably up since then.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 41 of 49
latest reply

I have gone pas horific and gotten to dispicable . you cant seay its just the time or year or month.. last year the last four days I was averaging making about 100 per day in profit this year with more inventory I am averaging about 5.00 per day in profit might as well just be closed . . sad when you can have 5000 listings and cant even make more than 5.00 a day . and since my ebay store is costing me 10.00 per day techically I am losing 5.00 per day . .. today i made .94 cents in 24 hours

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

@sbaron1153 wrote:

I have gone pas horific and gotten to dispicable . you cant seay its just the time or year or month.. last year the last four days I was averaging making about 100 per day in profit this year with more inventory I am averaging about 5.00 per day in profit might as well just be closed . . sad when you can have 5000 listings and cant even make more than 5.00 a day . and since my ebay store is costing me 10.00 per day techically I am losing 5.00 per day . .. today i made .94 cents in 24 hours

When 90% of your 5,000 listings sell for three bucks or less, you're not going to make much money. And a lot of your sales are under $2, with $3.50 shipping. I don't see how it makes much sense to list those items at all, unless you got them for free and have a lot of time on your hands. But paying $300/month to list them is just ... not a good business decision, IMO.

I hope you're at least using a PayPal micropayments account for those sales.

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

I have been selling this type of product at low prices for over 15 years and survived without having any other income its just the last few months ebay has started going into a tailspin slide that does not seem to be ending... its looking like I will soon have to just drop the anchor store and stop selling on ebay and give up if things dont change soon.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

Ebay has made a lot of changes the past month. Seller Hub for one. When eBay forces changes on users, sales suffer.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply