cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye everyone after 24 years on eBay - I'm done and here's why...

I've been selling on eBay for 24 years, started in high school. I'm leaving because I sell authentic items and I have notified eBay that there's a seller who listed items using the word "like _ style" with blank being the designer name. I used the reporting tools mid Nov 2022, and then followed up three weeks later. I've since spoken to 6 ebay reps, had it escalated, and they still REFUSE to remove the listings of a seller who is clearly violating listing practices and selling items that are NOT made by the designer they have listed in the title.

It boggles my mind that eBay spends lots of money on advertising "authentic" items only then cuts into my business by allowing sellers to blatantly break the rules. I did my part by notifying them 6 times and the listings are STILL UP! I'm officially done with this greedy, ancient site that allows some people to do whatever they want but make a point of removing my listings if I make a mistake. So long and won't miss you!

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Goodbye everyone after 24 years on eBay - I'm done and here's why...

Why do you think they shod take down listings based on your say so it would be complete anarchy.

Message 46 of 51
latest reply

@spin007 wrote:

I won't be making $0, I'll take my biz elsewhere. Ebay is not the only game in town and quite frankly they take too much in fees to be so lacking in enforcing authentic items only - like they advertise all over the internet. I don't have to be an official anything to be upset about them picking and choosing who they allow to keep selling fakes and who they ignore. There's no sense that their rules are being applied across the board and that's the main problem.

You'll be making $0 here, so you'll be making $1 for every $10 you could. Your call. I see a nose cut to spite a face. Just continue reporting (not calling anyone) those sellers and get ahold of the manufacture, if they care. 

...and yes, you don't have to be an official anything to 'be upset', but to think that you reporting, as a competitor, will change anything, is something that a.) you can't fix and b.) those people and people like it are on all the 'other venues' you plan on 'going to'.. so not much you can do. If they are much cheaper, buyers will figure it out. 

But to throw 24 yrs away is not the solve. 

Message 47 of 51
latest reply

Wow... because someone was breaking Ebay rules you are quitting? OK, but you should not really worry about it as you are not breaking the rules. Would you quit driving because everyone else is speeding and you are not? Ebay is not going to take the word of a competitor and remove listings. That is up to the company that manufactures and distributes those items to have Ebay remove listings. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone could just report anyone saying their items should be removed?

Message 48 of 51
latest reply

@spin007 wrote:

They wouldn't if I deleted them. I wasn't aware, thanks for sharing that info. and thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yes, all listings that have sold or ended are visible to anyone who knows how to look.  Even if you ended it or deleted it, it can be seen.  Absences can be seen.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 49 of 51
latest reply

What reasons are you using for reporting?  eBay often removes listings for keyworda/name brands so I would use:

Listing practices/Search & browse manipulation/misusing a brand name

Message 50 of 51
latest reply

this is the most wrong statement, "It appears that you just returned to ebay in October/November after years away so I assume you started reported the keyword spamming immediately after your return." Bizarre comment, tbh.

We can see your Feedback given and received. That indicates only four transactions, none of them jewellry, in the past 12 months.

We can see your listings. Twenty one current items, one an inexpensive mass produced necklace.

We can see your Completed/Sold items for the past three months, none of them jewelry.

It is true that you were buying and selling 'more than a year ago', which can mean 2021 or 2008.

Message 51 of 51
latest reply