cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting cussed out

When a buyer claims INR for an item that has tracking that shows delivered and you give him tips to try and locate the package, what do you do when he replies back and cusses you out? Continue to help them?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Getting cussed out

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

When a buyer claims INR for an item that has tracking that shows delivered and you give him tips to try and locate the package, what do you do when he replies back and cusses you out? Continue to help them?

If the buyer is just mad that their package is lost perhaps have some compassion but if you suspect they are a buyer who does this a lot, call CS and ask them to open an investigation. You could probably get the account sanctioned.

Either way, block and stop corresponding.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

People are nuts right now...more so than usual!  You did all you can do.  Block for future sales.   

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

@espresso_warehouse wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

If the buyer is just mad that their package is lost perhaps have some compassion but if you suspect they are a buyer who does this a lot, call CS and ask them to open an investigation. You could probably get the account sanctioned.

Either way, block and stop corresponding.

Yea I agree. Either way any further messages with them are definitely going to turn out bad... very difficult to even try to talk someone down a ledge like that then they are throwing daggers at you.

If anything I'll try helping them behind the scenes with just a USPS inquiry that that'd be the end of it.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Of course not. Stop responding, add them to your BBL, and if they have actually filed an INR, I assume you know how to upload the tracking number already...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

You should view your attempt to be helpful as an example of No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. I would cease communication through the Message Center and let the INR process proceed if a case is filed.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

I'd keep helping them but I'd be crazy polite.   I understand, it's not a nice feeling to wait and then be told it's here, only it isn't.   I'd cut them some slack.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

I think the problem is that they believe they are being scammed, which may be how you feel as well.  In reality, the package may have been misdelivered to someone who feels as though they are legally entitled to keep it.  I would offer to initiate a trace on the package, since it is the shipper who must do that.  This is entirely a different thing than tracking.  Provide the trace information back to the buyer.  If it was misdelivered, the third-party shipper must honor the insurance.  If not, maybe the package location will come to light.  If it was properly delivered, it may have been stolen.  If so, that is likely the buyer's loss.

If you fail to perform the trace, you may win eBay's resolution of the matter since tracking shows a package was delivered somewhere, but you'll end up with the credit card chargeback when the charge is disputed.  Initiate the trace right away while there's still a chance that the package might be recovered.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

Dear Customer,

I was trying to help you out but I do not tolerate swearing.

You're on your own. Go ahead and take this matter up with ebay.

Have a nice day.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

I once had a USPS shipment that showed the tracking as only having an "arrival" to the customer's local Post Office but never being delivered. The customer never emailed me or filed a not received claim. I waited about a week after the "arrival" date and filed a shipment tracer request. When you file a shipment tracer request you'll get an email from USPS with the local Post Office contact info. I contacted the local Post Office via telephone and they stated the item was delivered based on a "satellite image" of the letter carrier delivering the package (the letter carrier had forgot to scan the parcel upon delivery). They subsequently updated the tracking showing the item was delivered. Apparently, USPS uses satellites to prove or disprove a shipment delivery. 

Since your parcel shows as being delivered an INR claim isn't going to work for the buyer. I also once had a customer email me saying he never received the item even though the tracking showed it as being delivered. I responded stating that I'm sorry that he didn't get the package even though the tracking showed it as being delivered. I had suggested to check with his neighbors to see if the parcel was accidently delivered to one of them (a neighbor's street address is sometimes similar to yours and only off by one numerical digit). I had also suggested that the parcel may have been stolen off his porch. After my email response I never heard from the customer again so he either located the parcel or accepted that it was stolen off his porch (eBay sellers aren't responsible for victims of porch pirates). Good luck and I hope my comment helps!  

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

Ignore and definitely do not respond. Delete each message starting with the one you received. Eventually the person will go away. Don't forget to block.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

@coolections wrote:

Ignore and definitely do not respond. Delete each message starting with the one you received. Eventually the person will go away. Don't forget to block.

Do not delete the messages. That is dubious advice. The messages may need to be referenced by you if this continues to unravel.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

As long as you have the person blocked it should not matter.  "Ignore" the messages could have been a better term though.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

It is commendable that you tried to be helpful. That’s good customer service. Once the package is delivered and the tracking shows such, your responsibility ends.

It is unfortunate your buyer lashed out. Remaining professional, even in the case of a verbally abusive buyer, will usually serve one well, but i wouldn’t think further communication with the buyer would be fruitful.

So unless circumstances deem otherwise, i’d lay low. I’m sure with your experience, you’d never get into a back-and-forth with someone who acts this way anyway—which would be my primary advice. Good luck and hope your buyer takes your advice and locates his package.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Getting cussed out

There is an option on the your account page that shows items sold.  Under the item there is also an option to "report buyer". 

No one should tolerate abuse.  Let eBay take over from here.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply