cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Top Rated Plus to Above Standard for Late Shipments

Hello,

I've been in complete freak out mode for the last couple weeks frantically trying everything I could to adjust my late shipment rates for the February 20th evaluation. I didn't realize (I'm about a year old in Ebay) until the beginning of last month that I had to personally stand and watch my packages get scanned at the post office to ensure they were accepted and registered into the system. All of 23, I never did that and late shipments rarely happened. Most months I didn't even have any late shipments. However, here in Houston, our two shipping hubs that filter everything going out of town, experienced extreme backlogs. They were getting new mail sorters installed - or that's the story I've been told - and something broke down in that process. It put all orders going out of Houston on a 2 to 4 week backlog. It got so bad that all the major news stations as well as state and local politicians got involved to figure out why all the mail was so delayed. My highest late shipment percentage of any month in 2023 was 1.5%. I never came close to hitting the 3% threshold. But, I also never stood in line. I always dropped the packages off into the pull slot and walked away without a receipt. Alot of the times I also had the mail person pick up the packages from my porch. In the time window of mid-December through January 21st, I received a late shipment percentage of 19%. My orders were sitting at the post office for 5-14 days, just sitting there not being scanned, and the packages were showing up at the customer's houses at a minimum of two weeks  behind. I did everything I could to answer all the messages, send tracking updates, call Ebay, send screenshots of tracking updates, refunds in some cases, and got Ebay to remove a lot of the late shipments to send the percentage down to 4.37%. I must have called Ebay at least 20 times to see how many late shipments I could get overturned. After all that, the best I could get was 4.37%, which is way higher than the required 3% or less. 

As a result, yesterday my account officially downgraded from Top Rated Plus to Above Standard. I feel disgusted and very concerned. I'm a full time reseller and everything is tight right now because I just started full time January 1st. Obviously, I learned about mid way through this chaos that I was supposed to be watching them scan my packages so I started doing that as soon as I found out. It was much too late though because the damage had been done. 

I tried one last ditch effort on the phone with Ebay yesterday, but nothing budged. So, all I feel like I can do is reach out on here for experience and hope. I take care of my family through Ebay. I've been on Ebay for about a year, but I was doing it part time. I used Ebay to pay all the bills, and used my day job paycheck to build the biggest and fastest store that I could. Now that the Ebay is the only job now, my store is in maintenance mode instead of grow mode, but I'm worried that since I've been downgraded, my sales are going to tank. 

I'm not really sure what all the ramifications are from going down a tier as a seller, but I know that there is no longer a 10% final value discount. But I have a lot of worrisome questions that I hope someone can answer in a somewhat detailed fashion:

1. Are my listing going to be suppressed?

2. Does it even make sense to promote anymore if nothing will get the listings ranked above sellers who are top rated and top rated plus?

3. Are customers able to see that I am above standard? 

4. Is there some kind of notification on my listings that warns customers of late shipments?

5. What exactly am I losing going from top rated to above standard?

I hope I'm just worrying way too much and everything is going to be fine, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has been in my shoes and made it to the other side. Thanks for any feedback!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: From Top Rated Plus to Above Standard for Late Shipments

It's not possible to fall below standard because of late shipments although you can be penalized in some ways if you get too many of them.

As far as I know the kiosk scan at the post office is an acceptable scan for ebay and if you scan it within your handling time, it wouldn't count as late even if it arrived late.   However,  if the item gets lost and the only scan showing was the kiosk scan, I've read that usps doesn't consider it as being accepted for insurance purposes.  

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@sandjllc wrote:

Thanks everyone for the input. It turns out that promotions keep the listings at the top regardless of seller status. I also learned a couple things:

1. Scanning is insurance against late deliveries. 

2. If the package is not scanned, but arrives within the estimated delivery range, then no problem. 

I like #1.

Keep in mind that if you drop again to Below Standard, you not only have to pay the 6% penalty fee on top of your other FVFs, you won't be able to use Promoted Listings.

2.  Yes.  This is what it says on our Seller Dashboard.  Something you should be watching VERY closely if you don't already.  You can see if any given issue is getting worse by watching your Dashboard regularly.

"your transactions must have tracking uploaded within your stated handling time, in addition to receiving a carrier scan."

https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard?region=US

Also note that in each section, if you have some transactions counting against you, there are reports available so you can find out the details of each specific transaction that is affecting you.  Just click on the down arrow on the right.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

As far as I know the kiosk scan at the post office is an acceptable scan for ebay and if you scan it within your handling time, it wouldn't count as late even if it arrived late.   However,  if the item gets lost and the only scan showing was the kiosk scan, I've read that usps doesn't consider it as being accepted for insurance purposes.  

Correct. For the eBay metrics, a kiosk scan works just fine. That's how I do all of my items.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I am going through the same kind of issues. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@thing-ama-jiggy wrote:

I am going through the same kind of issues. 

@thing-ama-jiggy 

Each situation can have different details.  Tell us what your issue is? 

Did you lose your TR status?

Did you have too many INRs?

Did you have too many INADs?

Did you have too many defects?  If so in what area.

Just tell us more and we can try to help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, and other updates, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply