cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Shipping or Charge for Shipping

I am trying to grow my business and changing things up a bit. In watching multiple people on You Tube, it seemed all said to offer Free Shipping and just include in the price. However, in doing so, it seems others either have it listed cheaper with Free Shipping or I'm just loosing money in the shipping somehow. My stats show 69.4% going to fees and shipping. This needs to be better! Any suggestions? Thank you in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

For new sellers I would recommend using calculated shipping.

This is safest option and best for learning.

When you become more experienced then dive into free shipping if you want to go that route. But you need to understand the system better where you are taking your losses at.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

There are a few things to keep in mind when you sell on eBay:

Low cost items generally are going to have a smaller margin of profit.  And they are the items that benefit most from free shipping options.

Higher cost items or items that may have a larger size and weight, you are going to want to use calculated shipping.

Next, you need to make sure you know how you are going to ship it before you list!  Figure out a plan, packaging, and weigh and size the package so you have the details right.  This is important.

Then, stick to only one or two options for shipping.  Don't try to add a bunch of choices, its a waste of time,  99.99% of the time, the buyers simply go with whatever is default if it seems fair to them.

There is a shipping calculator you can use located here:

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Use this as a guide, not as a guarantee the price will be always the same.  Check against the furthest places from you and do several to get an idea.

Lastly, the calculated may be best for now starting out, as it will calculate a Retail price by default, but you will pay a discounted rate if you purchase right through eBay.  This helps a lot to save costs.  If you have to pay for packaging, figure that in, either by adjusting the price of the item to compensate, or add a handling fee.

But, again, the lower the item cost, the tighter your profit will be.  The best way to get profit is to offer discounts on bundling items, either from one listing, or several.  That entices buyers to buy more than one thing, and you get to group the shipment saving you shipment costs while increasing your margin.

It is going to take some experimenting.

Don't be afraid to charge a bit high at first, you can always go down later, or anytime.

Check what similar items are selling on here for and what they do for shipping.

I did this with hard drives, when I started listing mine.  The margin is not great on those, but I have been moving a lot of them the past few weeks.  Just had to be patient at first.  And I'm not the cheapest option.

Oh.

Make sure you choose the right kind of shipping for your items.  Don't use media mail for anything other than books, movies, music, etc.  (I avoid it in general even then, as its slow).  USPS Ground Advantage is great.  If you are sending anything hazardous (anything with a lithium battery for example) there is an option to make sure you select the right labeling for the package.

gator08041971_0-1709773158547.pnggator08041971_1-1709773187400.png

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I think that calculated shipping is the only way to go, especially on items over a couple pounds. Calculated shipping will make your items more competitive in nearby zones, you do not have to limit to the lower 48 and best of all you do not have to adjust prices when shipping costs increase. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@anve_7199 

Offer free shipping on light items and include in the price, for heavy items, use calculated shipping. If the item is heavy and inexpensive, I would not sell online, 

Example of item you have, Mainstays 2.2 Quart Compact Air Fryer, it's under $15 but will cost me as a buyer $30.90 shipping to my state, how about if I decided to return it for some reason since you accept returns, you'll be out of $60 or $30, and if you let them keep it, you'll be out of $45, the math is just not there for a listing like that, I would sell it in a flea market or a garage sale, but items like that are not suited for selling online because the risk outweighs the reward.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@anve_7199 wrote:

I am trying to grow my business and changing things up a bit. In watching multiple people on You Tube, it seemed all said to offer Free Shipping and just include in the price. However, in doing so, it seems others either have it listed cheaper with Free Shipping or I'm just loosing money in the shipping somehow. My stats show 69.4% going to fees and shipping. This needs to be better! Any suggestions? Thank you in advance 🙂

Free shipping is an expert only option not suited to casual or everything sellers and your current store is an example of one of the reasons why.

You are shipping out some of your items out at a dead loss (your cheapest books).

I wouldn't wish free shipping on my worse enemy. It is a great way to make your store harder to manage and even actively lose money all the place slightly better in an algorithm that doesn't matter nearly as much as people think it does. (Lowest price item usually sells first, not best match).

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@anve_7199 

Offer free shipping on light items and include in the price, for heavy items, use calculated shipping. If the item is heavy and inexpensive, I would not sell online, 

Example of item you have, Mainstays 2.2 Quart Compact Air Fryer, it's under $15 but will cost me as a buyer $30.90 shipping to my state, how about if I decided to return it for some reason since you accept returns, you'll be out of $60 or $30, and if you let them keep it, you'll be out of $45, the math is just not there for a listing like that, I would sell it in a flea market or a garage sale, but items like that are not suited for selling online because the risk outweighs the reward.

This is kind of off topic but a serious problem with items like  the air fryer example is the  ebay  fee's will be over 40% of the selling price.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am taking a gamble and taking every item I have that qualifies for media mail and changing them to free shipping. Hopefully it will improve my sales. If not, I guess I might as well give up as most of them are coming up to a two year anniversary on e-bay. 

All other items I will keep as calculated.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mike_jayroe wrote:

I am taking a gamble and taking every item I have that qualifies for media mail and changing them to free shipping. Hopefully it will improve my sales. If not, I guess I might as well give up as most of them are coming up to a two year anniversary on e-bay. 

All other items I will keep as calculated.

You are aware of your actual costs to send out a media mail item aren't you?

The current break even price on a book, where you make absolutely, nothing and spend 100 percent of the money on shipping, ebay fees and supplies is $5.40.  I only counted 10 cents for supplies there.

For a record it is $5.92 cents, that is counting 70 cents for the cheapest record mailer you can buy as your only supply expense.

That is with zero promoted listings, zero costs of goods, zero returns, and zero other overhead.

If you are like the average price guessing media seller then most of your items are completely unsellable as the charity media sellers who have a break even point more than $2 cheaper than you have already driven the market prices of most of your items below your break even point.

I would search all your media, if anyone has the item available for $6 shipped or less then you might as well throw yours in the trash, that will serve your business better than still trying to sell it. I checked a half dozen of your books and that was the case with every single one of them I checked, all available under $6 shipped.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I guess everyone else selling doesn't care if they recover their costs. I bought all of mine brand new when I had an interest in the hobby. Now I am just trying to get some of the purchase price back. If things don't work out I will give up at the end of this year. 

Thanks for the info though. It is appreciated.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The only thing I can offer as a suggestion with books, as I sold an entire collection of paperback novels for one story series (nearly 200), was that I sold the books in groups, and charged shipping separately.  So many of the books were trilogies, or 6 books to a story, that sort of thing.  Grouping them into bundles allowed me to sell them for a better base price, and then I did the shipping on top of that.  Sold every single book in under 30 days.

I made the most when selling a group of 3 or more books, and less when only selling one book.  But I averaged about 3-4 dollars net on each book after all was done.  And that constituted about 60% of the books original value when purchased new.  And I was even doing quantity discounts, had a few buyers buy several sets at once.

Condition matters a lot and most of these were pristine, many looked brand new.  I wouldn't even bother with a book unless its has a higher rarity, or very old, limited edition, excellent condition, etc.  But that's me.

I'm getting ready to list an small amount of 100+ year old school text books soon.  Those should be fun.

Good luck though!

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 11 of 11
latest reply