cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2023 No Sales

Top rated seller, three time power seller, got 69 listings.  It's the 10th of Feb, haven't sold a danm thing since Jan 27th.  Not even a NIBBLE.  

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: February 2023 No Sales

@bittyboy101 wrote:

If only it was the old days where that worked on eBay... Nowadays you can have the most wanted and sought after items listed... BUT... If eBay does not show them to potential buyers when they are searching for them on eBay then you still get no sales... as they can't buy your item if they don't know it exists !

@bittyboy101   I have NEVER not found an item I have listed. maybe you just are selling in over-saturated categories and should find better things to sell. Either that or your competition prices are much lower than yours. Do some research and make adjustments accordingly.

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@bittyboy101 wrote:

If only it was the old days where that worked on eBay... Nowadays you can have the most wanted and sought after items listed... BUT... If eBay does not show them to potential buyers when they are searching for them on eBay then you still get no sales... as they can't buy your item if they don't know it exists !

@bittyboy101   I have NEVER not found an item I have listed. maybe you just are selling in over-saturated categories and should find better things to sell. Either that or your competition prices are much lower than yours. Do some research and make adjustments accordingly.

If you searched for your newly listed items via your own eBay account or from a different eBay account to the one you're selling from on the SAME computer then eBay will always make sure that it is visible to you ! ONLY.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

I'm late for the party, but to add. 

The hand soap, although at 6$ 57cents looks like a bargain, even if you got it at no cost, would cost more to ship than it is listed for. After shipping and eBay fees you would be at a  $2-3, and then there is packaging costs, and time.  They must have been COG $0.00

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

You need better products to sell.   I keep my VHS movie tapes and will wait a couple of hundred years.  They will, like vinyl, make a comeback and I will be once again rich.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

If you were selling VHS tapes, Hand Soap, and used paper towels....and now you are not?  That's an issue.
It's the same issue many of us are experiencing with our items not showing up in a search "as we think they should be".   
What you are trying to sell is not as important, IF you were selling the same stuff last month.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

Does it matter what seller offers? No sales is a YUGE issue now for many sellers.

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

my single bottle hand soaps are priced to show on first page of a lowest price plus shipping sort.  those listings have multiple quantity discounts but I make more because my shipping method decreases in cost per item with multiple quantities.  I also have listings for 2 pks, 3 pks, 4 pks, 6 pks that are the lowest price on ebay for the brands.   I had 10 sales in feb, 20 sales in Jan, 33 sales in Dec, selling same stuff february was my 10th place finisher since April 2022, but Nov 2022 was my worst month.

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

LOL  I am comparing feb to other months where I have had the same listings.  

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

yes, one can get better deals on vhs tapes at thrift stores  BUT  if a buyer is looking for a specific movie, they will drive everywhere and walk their legs off and probably not find the specific movie.  On ebay, a buyer can find what they are looking for quickly.  

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

I wish Ebay would just give me an easy way to feed my store listings to another page that I could promote myself, and side-step all of this constant nonsense of half-baked code trying to do my customers' thinking for them, poorly.  I don't even mind them getting their fees.  I am just tired of this struggle against the platform's own programming. 

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@blurryrobot wrote:

I wish Ebay would just give me an easy way to feed my store listings to another page that I could promote myself, and side-step all of this constant nonsense of half-baked code trying to do my customers' thinking for them, poorly.  I don't even mind them getting their fees.  I am just tired of this struggle against the platform's own programming. 

Just add a clickable HTML link on your site to your eBay profile "Shop" page (or your eBay listings page) and that should direct people/more traffic to your eBay listings.

Google adding a HTML link to your webpage for more info.

Best of luck man.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

As a seller there is no predicting buyers wants or needs at any given point in time. I sometimes go weeks without selling anything then have a flurry of purchases. Sales go up and down like the stock market I learned long ago to just live with that fact. 

Others already mentioned your product line which is rather limited. I have not purchased many commodity items on the internet in the last 20+ years. Things like soap, detergent, cleaning supplies................. I simply pickup at garage or estate sales when I am sourcing usually for $1 or $2. It also depends a lot on the buyers urgency of need or where they are located. If the buyer needs it now they are likely to just pick it up at the local retailer unless they are in a rural location and a retail location is not convenient. 

So many factors in the ecommerce market there is no predicting its ups and downs. 

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

You would be best served just donating those VHS tapes. You actively lose money on the $4.57 cents ones, ending up losing 6 cents after ebay fees and media mail shipping. Losing 33 cents if you spend 25 cents on a bubble mailer and 2 cents on a thermal label. 

And like I mentioned earlier, VHS collectors don't want used mainstream used movies. They want sealed movies, horror movies and specialty titles. The few that do want mainstream movies rarely order them on ebay as they buy them by the hundreds at the thrift stores themselves. 

It is almost impossible to sell a common mainstream VHS movie at a profit as the charity media sellers who pay 2 percent ebay fees and have cheaper presort media mail have the market price on them below what you can even break even at.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

ebay's algorithms based on keywords have been a mess for months

I've complained and complained to customer support about it. When it was escalated, finally the supervisor admitted they knew about the issue and were trying to fix it.

Not only related to keywords but sometimes categories won't show the item you listed in search results.

If you were using relist auctions - the buyers were likely never seeing the auctions.

Ebay no longer treated relisted auctions as a new listing.

Example. First time you list an auction Jan 1.

You decide to relist it on March 1.

When you search for the item as a newly listed item on March 1, it does not show up in the search results

for March 1.

Why? - Because ebay considers logs it into the search results from Jan 1.

So when searchly newly listed items from March 1 - it won't show up and you literally have the scroll down through all the listings until you reach the listing date of Jan 1.  That is a lot of listings and potential buyers will never spend the time doing it.

Only work around I have found is to 1) Do a brand new auction.  2) use sell similar (which works most of the time but not all of the time).

Relisting auctions used to be the way I did it. But after this happened, I immediately stopped using it. Really dumb of eBay to do that with relisted auctions as they would notify watchers that the item was relisted.

Relisted auctions are useless now.

The other issue is eBay wants to double dip in sales $ so you have to use promoted auctions to been further seen or in search results your non  promoted auctions will be pushed further down in the search results.

Also found out sometimes listing in two categories (doesn't make a difference).

I can list a signed movie poster in a collectibles signed category as #1 category and #2 category is just the movie poster releases for a certain years of release.  When searching for that movie poster it didn't show up in the movie poster category.  Why? According to ebay I needed the #2 category to be #1. Shaking my head. Which means #2 category carries less weight in search results sometimes. Makes no sense with the new changes that they are doing.

Ebay always tries to fix things that are not broken and in the process makes it worse for both sellers and buyers.  It's the worse I have ever seen it on ebay.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

We sold 300+ vhs tapes last year..in a tote for 5$ after that we started to add them to the donation piles in our 3D business..

Message 30 of 43
latest reply