cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embroidery Kit Sellers Beware

I will never again offer economy shipping. Sold a Cross Stitch Kit to a party in Russia. She claimed she did not get it. Ebay refunded her my money. Then I did research on her and found that SHE has 57 similar kits up for auction, (Why did she buy mine??) While another ID from Russia has MY kit up for auction. I hope you see this before she takes you for aride too. From this point on my kits will be shipped registered mail or at least with a tracking number.  

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Embroidery Kit Sellers Beware

If you don't use tracking, you are CHOOSING to self insure. This is why most seller no longer ship internationally. I used to, I even shipped to Russia a few times with no issues, but those were the good ol' days without eBay intervention. EBay COSTS sales, it doesn't make sales. BTW, it can take 30 days or more for it to show up. It still might show up and the buyer MIGHT be honest. 😉

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you PHCD1 for your responce, That is more than ebay does.

Yes they still may get it, And they may be honest. But we still have the question of  WHY did they buy mine when they now have 57 similar sales up themselves. Does make me wonder??

I had alway wanted to save buyers shipping costs and trusting people to be honest.  But one rotten apple spoils the whole batch. And no more trust on anything over Sale of $5.00

And I am not new to ebay I had over 600+ poss FB under my old ID then was sick for some time and MY old ID dissapeared off ebay. Never had such a problem before.

What the hey, I guess I am just crying in my beer. (I Don't drink LOL)

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I don't sell internationally anymore, some people have caught on to how this works. No tracking, and they can file a clam and get their money back. Plus...they get to keep the item. Money back pays the customs fees.  This has happened to me too many times. If there is no tracking and they file a clam, ebay has refunded them every time. USPS said this is a big scam, because they don't want to pay the customs fees.  I don't even use Global shipping anymore. I had tracking, but buyer claimed defect. I had to refund him for my $12.99 item, plus I had to pay an extra $9.00 for his customs fees. Not worth it.       

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@miamigo

@miamigo wrote:

Yes they still may get it, And they may be honest. But we still have the question of  WHY did they buy mine when they now have 57 similar sales up themselves. Does make me wonder??

I had alway wanted to save buyers shipping costs and trusting people to be honest.  But one rotten apple spoils the whole batch. And no more trust on anything over Sale of $5.00

And I am not new to ebay I had over 600+ poss FB under my old ID then was sick for some time and MY old ID dissapeared off ebay. Never had such a problem before.

Stay here long enough and you will learn how....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM8tROzp4Dc

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

We listed a bunch of cross-stitch kits and books. A 3-4 of people bid for everything and want us to combine shipping. Thanks for your warning. We now are waiting for ebay to answer:

Questions

How will our eBay credibility be affected by overseas scammers, if we report them as scammers and they decide to give us a negative rating?

What happens if we don’t ship to the international customers that have paid? How can we be penalized?

Can we cancel a shipment internationally through the eBay system and not be charged the PayPal penalty?

Can we change an international eBay shipment through an international shipment center to a specific international address?

Can we relist while there is a dispute? How long do we wait?

Can ebay cancel transactions we suspect are scams?

What protects us from a transaction being canceled once we ship it?

P&B

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.  I blocked shipments to Russia a long time ago. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It is always the best choice to ship with tracking number and items as registered.

The problem is not Russia. It could happen to any country you send something trying to save some money from shipping. In my point of view is 100 times better to sell a little bit less items using a traceble method than risk it! If you try to get cheaper from others in order to sell more using economy shipping you risk your money and even your feedback because if something takes too long to arrive buyers wont like it. Shipping without a tracking number will get you in trouble if item is never delivered (it has more chances than registered mail to be lost) and your buyer is an honest person. In that case you can not answer your buyer where the item is and those buyers tend to leave negative feedback. If you get some negatives then you minimize your selling chances.

So think twice before using this method of shipping.  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@miamigo wrote:

I will never again offer economy shipping. Sold a Cross Stitch Kit to a party in Russia. She claimed she did not get it. Ebay refunded her my money. Then I did research on her and found that SHE has 57 similar kits up for auction, (Why did she buy mine??) While another ID from Russia has MY kit up for auction. I hope you see this before she takes you for aride too. From this point on my kits will be shipped registered mail or at least with a tracking number.  

Well, any potential fraud issues aside, I don't think the hazard is necessarily economy shipping as much as it you not limiting where you'll ship to.   Russia is one of a half-dozen or so countries well known for "issues" when you ship stuff there.   "Economy shipping" (if you mean USPS First Class Parcel Int'l) gets tracking in some parts of Europe and elsewhere. 

I wouldn't think embroidery kits are high on the "scam" radar, although someone has apparently started a business re-selling them.  Block bidders from Russia, and other problematic countries.  Or stick to U.S. selling.  I like international buyers, and ship a lot of stuff without tracking, and rarely have issues now since the countries that cause issues have slowly been blocked over time.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I sell a number of kits to Russians also......but don't do international shipping.  They use a reshipper and I've never had a problem.......

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Tracking unless registered stops at the USA border so forget it. I stopped selling anything to Russia about 3 years ago after loosing too much money.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@miamigo wrote:

@miamigo

Ok, here you go!wine_glasswine_glasswine_glass

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I sell internationally, and have for many years.

Because of the high cost of shipping from Canada, I rarely track anything.

And I rarely lose anything-- so rarely that I am confident that the odd complaint was very likely valid.

There are some countries that I won't ship to, usually because of questionable customs and postal systems. Brazil, Italy, Russia and Israel are on my Blocked list. And in Africa the only countries I will ship to are Egypt, Morocco and RSA.

I use Cookie Jar Insurance.

This just means adding a small amount to every listing to cover the occasional claim.

This is much cheaper than paying for postal insurance/tracking.

If you add a nickel for every $10 asking price, you can lose one item in 200 and break even.

If your losses are as high as one in 200, there is a bigger problem with either your listings or your category.  (I would not try this with videogames, sportscards, coins, or reborn babies, for example. Hotbeds of fraud in my opinion.)

OTOH-- the one country I would be wary of doing this in is the USA. American buyers are adamant that they need tracking and it is cheap to buy domestically. American scammers rip off non-US sellers constantly because to remain competitive we must take our chances with untracked shipments.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for some excellent ideas. I will be implimenting them in my plan.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

What I'd like to know is why embroidery kits are such a hot commodity in Russia?   Can't imagine they're not available there given the long history of Russian hand-made crafts including beautiful needlework which has been part of that culture for centuries. ???

Message 15 of 17
latest reply