cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay, you have over 2,000 items to delete, for misuse of brand name

According to Ebay, we doll seamstresses can no longer use "fits Barbie" or "for Barbie".  Not a problem, but now you need to delete several thousand auctions that are currently active on ebay for this new rule.  Don't just single out a few of us....

Here's what Ebay said:

Please understand that you mentioned "FOR Barbie" in the title and description of the listing. However, the item you're selling is compatible with entire product class or universally compatible. Though you might not be fully aware of the policy in existence but as per eBay policy, sellers shouldn't indicate compatibility by using "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name other than the one that made the item in order to describe items that are compatible with an entire product class, or are universally compatible. You may relist the item after making the necessary changes in the listing.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Someone reported your listings.  Other listings that are in violation will not be removed unless someone reports them.  And even if they are reported, they might or might not be reported.  Of course eBay could easily find them without waiting for members to report them, but they won't look for them.  

I hope buyers will still know how to find your listings without the phrase "fits Barbie."  I guess you're supposed to say, "fashion doll," or something like that?  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@dolldesigns4u wrote:

Not a problem, but now you need to delete several thousand auctions that are currently active

There is an immense difference between what you want eBay to do, and what eBay needs to do. 

eBay policy does not say they will take listings down, it says "Activity that doesn’t follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions". 

And further, eBay's user agreement says "we reserve the right to refuse, modify, or terminate all or part of our Services to anyone for any reason at our discretion". 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You still have "Barbie" in the title of one of your listings. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@emerald_door wrote:

Someone reported your listings.  Other listings that are in violation will not be removed unless someone reports them.  And even if they are reported, they might or might not be reported.  Of course eBay could easily find them without waiting for members to report them, but they won't look for them.  

I hope buyers will still know how to find your listings without the phrase "fits Barbie."  I guess you're supposed to say, "fashion doll," or something like that?  

The real issue with the new revised rules are that in Barbie's case, just saying "fits 12" fashion doll" doesn't cut it as there are so many different variants of Barbie now, buyers want to know which variant the outfit (and especially shoes) will actually fit.

It was so much easier before diversity and every Barbie on earth had the same insane measurements lol

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Sorry for not understanding the issue, but is this just  a problem using the name Barbie for the clothes  made for the doll or does this also include actual Barbie Dolls and  the manufacturers associated products?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

From what I can see it's the handmade outfits that are getting hammered. There would be no reason to pull listings for actual Mattel Barbie gear.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Please excuse my typo.  Obviously I meant 

And even if they are reported, they might or might not be removed

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

So if you are selling auto parts you can not say what it fits?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Sure, but ebay motors has different rules anyway.

The rules used to say you could use the phrase "fits Barbie" or American Girl or whatever, but it seems they have changed them.

Although they seem to have no issues with sellers listing non Lego under the Lego category and saying "compatible with Lego" or "works with Lego".

Ebay has never been anything if not inconsistent.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply