cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay will no longer sell bayonets on Ebay!

RED ALERT!!!!

I called twice about all of a sudden I can not list bayonets on Ebay although I sold them for twenty years on Ebay. The first time I called they said they would call me back and never did. The secound time I called, the next day. I was told to never list bayonets agaon on Ebay again and they hung up on me. They said it will take time to kick every one else off!  Well after 20 years I guess I'm done on Ebay 100% feed back! They say they are kicking every bayonet off Ebay because they are not allowed period! 

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Ebay will no longer sell bayonets on Ebay!

One of the great things about this country is our Constitution, which gives both us and eBay wide latitude to choose how to run our businesses. 

As sellers, we are free to choose eBay if it suits our needs, or to use another service if it would be a better fit for our needs. 

Many people in many other countries are not as lucky as we are when it comes to selling weapons to each other. 

Agreed but as with anything else people always find a way. When there are constraints on the sale or possession of items it tends to simply drive the price up and create an underground market. Look at the current drug market and remember prohibition people will always find a way. 

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

eBay doesn't "hate guns" - it's a corporation and corporations don't have feelings for anything but money.  They don't, however, want to go afoul of the various laws in place regulating the mail order sale of guns (first enacted in 1968 with some revisions since). 

I have no idea where eBay stands on the gun debate but you are correct it's may not be so much their stance as it is the current laws and the BATF that simply constrains them or presents too much of a risk. I have a number of outlets for firearms and those outlets handle the paperwork required for the sale as well as the shipping if they are shipped. 

Selling and shipping firearms is one of those situations where you not only have the federal laws but state and even sometimes county, city...... laws to deal with. 

FYI a bayonet is not a firearm, therefore not regulated under any firearm regulations, I maintain that restrictions on a bayonet is strictly for ideological  reasons which ebay 100% have the right to do.

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

eBay doesn't "hate guns" - it's a corporation and corporations don't have feelings for anything but money.  They don't, however, want to go afoul of the various laws in place regulating the mail order sale of guns (first enacted in 1968 with some revisions since). 

I have no idea where eBay stands on the gun debate but you are correct it's may not be so much their stance as it is the current laws and the BATF that simply constrains them or presents too much of a risk. I have a number of outlets for firearms and those outlets handle the paperwork required for the sale as well as the shipping if they are shipped. 

Selling and shipping firearms is one of those situations where you not only have the federal laws but state and even sometimes county, city...... laws to deal with. 

FYI a bayonet is not a firearm, therefore not regulated under any firearm regulations, I maintain that restrictions on a bayonet is strictly for ideological  reasons which ebay 100% have the right to do.

Duh I fully realize that, my response was to chapeau-noir and your comment about eBay's gun stance. If you have some evidence regarding eBay's stance on the gun debate please post the link. While a bayonet is not a firearm some states have vague laws that categorize them as a gun part. Washington state is one of those and a lot of online sellers will not ship bayonets or any other gun related item into WA. 

Message 33 of 64
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

After all those outsourced foreign call center reps belong to the same group that informed a seller that his plush toy unicorn was removed because unicorns are an endangered species. 

😂I wish I saw that post. That's truly amazing.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 34 of 64
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Duh I fully realize that, my response was to chapeau-noir and your comment about eBay's gun stance. If you have some evidence regarding eBay's stance on the gun debate please post the link. While a bayonet is not a firearm some states have vague laws that categorize them as a gun part. Washington state is one of those and a lot of online sellers will not ship bayonets or any other gun related item into WA. 

ebay bans things all the time based on ideology that are perfectly 50 state legal, which again they 100% have the right to do but the idea that they only care about what is legal or not is just not true 

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

The only thing eBay cares about is whether or not someone selling something on their platform exposes them to any liability.  Your assertion that they have some sort of social agenda is ridiculous.

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:

ebay bans things all the time based on ideology that are perfectly 50 state legal, which again they 100% have the right to do but the idea that they only care about what is legal or not is just not true 

Ebay bans the sale of this Magic the Gathering card. The amount of stuff they ban is incredible. 

crusade_mtg.jpg

Message 37 of 64
latest reply

Don't confuse ideology with liability. Liability is what corporations look at - if they think something may affect their bottom line or even has the possibility of doing so, even if we think it's ridiculous it can be sanctioned.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 64
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:

That is your opinion or assumption unless you have some proof otherwise. Logically it would make no sense or them to simply ban items since that impacts their bottom line. The may also be a bit timid at the moment given the recent DOJ and EPA lawsuits for selling items that are perfectly legal to sell but not so legal to use. 

Message 39 of 64
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:

That is your opinion or assumption unless you have some proof otherwise. Logically it would make no sense or them to simply ban items since that impacts their bottom line. The may also be a bit timid at the moment given the recent DOJ and EPA lawsuits for selling items that are perfectly legal to sell but not so legal to use. 

Ok, confederate flags, 50 state legal, ownership, display  and sale 100% protected by the 1st a but not allowed on ebay, there are many more examples, again ebay 100% has the right to not allow confederate sales but there is absolutely no laws in the US that prevent their sale

Message 40 of 64
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

Ok, confederate flags, 50 state legal, ownership, display  and sale 100% protected by the 1st a but not allowed on ebay, there are many more examples, again ebay 100% has the right to not allow confederate sales but there is absolutely no laws in the US that prevent their sale

You're not getting the picture apparently.  -The picture of a screenshot of search results with a bunch of orange flags symbolizing what they symbolize, with the eBay logo at the top of the screen ..... and then that screenshot being shared all over the internet, and a boycott ensuing.  

It's just another example of eBay being smart with their capitalism.   Same reason youtube takes things down.  Same reason social media take things down.  Not "wokeism".  Not "communism".  Not "gatekeeping."  Not "cancelling."  Just good business sense!  

Next! 

Message 41 of 64
latest reply

My point about citing the mail order gun law is that eBay deals with regulatory issues and liability, not some kind of dark dream of "wokeism" - it's a lot easier to err on the side of safety than get into the weeds with regulatory problems. Case in point would be the violation of the Controlled Substances Act which is costing them plenty. They're here to make money, not push some kind of ideology. There are a lot of weird laws - I can carry a gun, for instance, but not a switchblade - how does that make sense?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 42 of 64
latest reply

Ebay is in California, just saying.  Their sandbox, their rules.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 43 of 64
latest reply

Dont forget the other one as well.  The j word one.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 44 of 64
latest reply

@mikeystoyz wrote:

Ebay is in California, just saying.  Their sandbox, their rules.

They may have a headquarters in California, but they're multinational and have to deal with regulations nation-wide and world-wide. They can be in Plutos Hole, USA and it would be the same.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 45 of 64
latest reply