cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay no longer fun.

I’ve been a Ebay seller for a long time now, back in the late 80’s I knew computers can bring seller and buyer together, far better then the newspapers.

When I first heard of Ebay in 1998. I knew this is it. Hell I bought the IPO at $26 (sold to soon)

Selling was alot of fun, auction something at $9, sales for $89, only paid 50 cents.

Customer were nice, no problems for years.

Now customers are not friendly, they do not read full description, ask if you take $5 for a $50 item.

Say item doesn’t work, (it was tested) then I resale it (50% less), and they buyer said it worked fine.

Get a feedback due to post office was slow.

I had over 12 bad customers, Can’t do anything about it.

It only take one to make it fill bad.

Now Ebay is changing again forcing you to use Seller Hub. I don’t like it. The changes doesn’t help me, it take longer to list.

I’ve maybe be quitting soon due to Chemo. I would like to sale somethings, before I go. so me wife doesn’t just gave it all away. And the person who needs it get it.

Below is a statement someone post that I agree with.

“customer service stinks

correction: what customer service?

all the hoopla about seller protection is gump

it's all about buyers even if they're wrong

even if they're lying

even if they have a history of scamming

they set this place up up big sellers and chinese sellers vs little US sellers, who gets the search space wins

little sellers don't get enough search space

lots of good sellers are gone now

they're gonna make us send our items to moscow even if we don't want

they're very good with newspeak - george orwell couldn't have written this any better than we wrote it for ourselves.  

sellers and buyers made ebay and corporate ebay stole it away.”

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Ebay no longer fun.

You got to love my typo's
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Rhines, so very sorry you and yours are going through this; it is a hard time to be sure, and my heart and prayers go out to you.

Blessings going out to you, too!  Hang in there.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@rhines4601 wrote:
I have sold some gold and coins, in most part it should be safe. if they can't say it's borken or something. and if you have less then an oz. of gold. ( I wish I only bought 1/2 oz gold)

@rhines4601,  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.   

I have sold coins and gold jewelry in the past.  I recall one of my coins sold for around $800.00.  But that was about 6 years ago.  Back then I was NEVER afraid if someone didn't like something (which never happened, thank goodness) they would return the package to me with a rock inside and not the coin or gold necklace or whatever it was.

Today I sell costume jewelry.   Nice pieces, but no longer expensive and nothing I can't live without if someone decided to keep the item.  

Very sad indeed.   

I love eBay.  And now they are asking that I trust their partner i-ways, with my ID and password.  

They just don't trust that MY WORD (as a seller) is STILL and always will be as good as the gold I sold.  😞

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Yes, small things can be stressful, Rhines.

Just take care of you and focus on you and your family.  You don't need stress; this is already a stressful time for you and yours.

Just some thoughts to consider.  I have your best interests in mind.

Wishing you all the best always!

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I used to think it was fun but now it has come much more of a serious business for me, I get anxiety when I get a message nowadays thinking there is gonna be a problem or when I sell to certain problem states, I still do like when everything goes great or when someone seems genuinely happy when they found an item they wanted for years or when an interesting customer crops up that is an artisan or a big company getting something for an event or a historical item for their company to put on display.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Today happens to mark the end of year #2 as a Seller ... Buyers since 2007.  From a selling standpoint THIS is the only eBay I know.   In the last 24 months there has been a steady parade of changes so it sort of is what it is.  I posted this recently, its fun and I am making some $$ ... if either of those change then it will be decision time.  Online sales venues will continue to change and who knows when a merger or acquisition might rearrange the stars once again ... I'll close this post with a few inspiring quotes:

"To infinity and beyond!"  Buzz Lightyear

"Live long and Prosper"  Spock

"The shadow knows!" Unknown

"If it ain't broke then don't fix it"  Just about everybody I know ....

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Ebay has not been "fun" for me, for quite a while now.  No major buyer issues.  My buyers [by and large] have been great.  And for that, I am thankful.  I can bend with pretty-much all the buyer-centric ebay policies, and dracontian ebay ideals...  BUT, I cannot fight a GROSSLY DISFUNTIONAL search engine, or ANY KIND of selective, ebay listing, exposure.  Those are, honestly, and unequivocally, barriers, I cannot transgress.  As what ebay wants, is so contrary to what [most] ebay sellers want, I don't ever see "things" improving here.  How can something, that was once so good, (not perfect, but good) turn in to such a disfuntional format?

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@hawkwind5454 wrote:

...I cannot fight a GROSSLY DISFUNTIONAL search engine, or ANY KIND of selective, ebay listing, exposure.  Those are, honestly, and unequivocally, barriers, I cannot transgress.  

For me, I can't buck the UBER-CHEAP buyers, of which ebay has, en masse!

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

FUN is what you make it!.

you make it fun or you don't.... that all there is.

people are fun...ebay is a business, so it is the people that make there own fun here....right?

things change..i think High School is not FUN anymore, but is it?  the kids may think it is fun because it's there time.... but doesn't seem fun....

so it mostly all in the view you take..... 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

one of the best things I have done recently is give up on ebay as a seller. 

as a buyer, once in a great while.  

I got my spare room back ( no more boxes piled to the ceiling and carp laying around.....)

no more stress of oh, lets guess what can go wrong? even though you might jump thru hoops to do everything right...

love having my spare room back...

I've taken up sewing!! 

so that is fun and all is good. 

shame on eBay for not supporting their sellers.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

one of the best things I have done recently is give up on ebay as a seller. 

as a buyer, once in a great while.  

I got my spare room back ( no more boxes piled to the ceiling and carp laying around.....)

no more stress of oh, lets guess what can go wrong? even though you might jump thru hoops to do everything right...

love having my spare room back...

I've taken up sewing!! 

so that is fun and all is good. 

shame on eBay for not supporting their sellers.

I didn't know you were into fishing with all that carp laying around in your spare room....lol.  winkwink

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Today happens to mark the end of year #2 as a Seller ... Buyers since 2007.  From a selling standpoint THIS is the only eBay I know.   In the last 24 months there has been a steady parade of changes so it sort of is what it is.  I posted this recently, its fun and I am making some $$ ... if either of those change then it will be decision time.  Online sales venues will continue to change and who knows when a merger or acquisition might rearrange the stars once again ... I'll close this post with a few inspiring quotes:

"To infinity and beyond!"  Buzz Lightyear

"Live long and Prosper"  Spock

"The shadow knows!" Unknown

"If it ain't broke then don't fix it"  Just about everybody I know ....

You missed one that fits Ebay perfectly::

"You ain't seen nothing yet"

Message 27 of 27
latest reply