cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay harassing me for fees on item I did not sell.

Hi, I have been a buyer of Ebay since 2007. I never tried to sell anything on Ebay until last month. I listed an item and very shortly after cancelled the listing. Ebay is now harassing me for $59.00 in sellers' fees for an item I never sold. This was not clear from the onset. Ebay advertises that you can list up to 249 items for free. I've contacted an Ebay Customer Service Rep who informed me someone would get back to me. No one never did. Now Ebay's Collection Agency is harassing me regularly.  Any advice?  

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Ebay harassing me for fees on item I did not sell.

Why did you cancel the listing? Maybe ebay thinks you took the sale out of ebay to circumvent seller fees for some reason.

59 dollars is quite high as a selling fee, that means eBay thinks you sold around $400 worth since your last statement.

Also I DO see a listing that you sold in dec 31, but not for $400.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

You did sell the item on 12/21.

Did the buyer not pay?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

Hi, I have been a buyer of Ebay since 2007. I never tried to sell anything on Ebay until last month. I listed an item and very shortly after cancelled the listing. Ebay is now harassing me for $59.00 in sellers' fees for an item I never sold. This was not clear from the onset. Ebay advertises that you can list up to 249 items for free. I've contacted an Ebay Customer Service Rep who informed me someone would get back to me. No one never did. Now Ebay's Collection Agency is harassing me regularly.  Any advice?  

If the item was an auction and it had received bids, if the end the listing you are responsible for fees based on the highest bid. 

This is made clear on the page that explains how to end an auction listing that has received bids: "You may be charged a final value fee based on the amount of the highest bid" 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/ending-listing?id=4146

This is to prevent sellers from using eBay to find buyers, and then moving the transaction off eBay to try to cheat eBay out of its fees. 

What item was it? I only see one completed listing on this account, and it indicates that the listing ended with a sale. 

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

This will show you there could be a fee for ending a listing early.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/ending-listing?id=4146

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Hi @grass-hopper11 

-Pay the fees or you will have issues trying to sell in the future

-Please tell us what the item was, what was the auction or buy it now price and what if any Upgrades or pre-paid promotions you used?  For example, using the Reserve price on an auction comes with a fee whether the item sells or not

-Items Ended in certain situations can have the FVFs charged:  Ending a listing | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 38
latest reply

It was vintage perfume.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 

You sold a bottle of perfume on Dec 31...  do you also have an Ebay Store subscription? 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

The history shows the item "Sold" (2 Bids) for $46.00 + shipping on Dec 31

"This listing was ended by the seller on Sun, Dec 31 at 8:38 AM because the item was sold."

It had 2 Bids when you closed it prematurely.

But, that item alone would not result in $59.00 in 'fees'

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

The item was vintage perfume. It was open for bids. I received on 1 bid but canceled before the auction ended.  There were no upgrades or pre-paid promotions. This is the first time I tried to sell anything on Ebay.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

I attempted to sell vintage perfume for $375.00. I received 1 bidder but I canceled the listing before the auction ended. I canceled because I thought Ebay's commission/ fees were extremely high. I did not make any secret deals or arrangements to sell to the bidder.  

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

I canceled the listing before the auction ended. 

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

I believe on an auction, you are charged FVF if you cancel early. I don't think it was always that way.

Was the $375 a Buy It Now price on the auction, or a reserve price?

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

The item was vintage perfume. It was open for bids. I received on 1 bid but canceled before the auction ended.  There were no upgrades or pre-paid promotions. This is the first time I tried to sell anything on Ebay.

@grass-hopper11   Thank you for the reply, yes, fees can be charged in certain situations when you End an Auction and those are explained in the link I provided up thread.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

You must have had a 'reserve' on your item for $375.00 ("I attempted to sell...")

The minute you listed the item with a reserve, you are charged 

$5.00 or 7.5% of reserve price, whichever is greater (maximum fee $250)
Charged whether or not your item sells

in addition, you were charged final value fees...

All of this is described in full in the 'help' sections.....but I still can't get it to $59.00 LOL

Message 15 of 38
latest reply