cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay claims you must manually upload tracking after purchasing shipping label

We have more than $100,000 in sales on Ebay and now we have 7 defects because we "didn't manually upload the tracking" after purchasing the shipping labels from EBay. I have been assured by Ebay this has always been a requirement. I would like to know how we have  $100,000 in sales and this has never been an issueuntil now. (ANd it started in March) So EBAY has stated to me that if I go public with this and have all of you state that you don't manually load in tracking because it does it automatically that they will look into it and remove our defects. So does the system automatically log your tracking when you purchase your shipping labels? Or do you have to manually load in the tracking? I have been assured by Ebays "expert" that all of you are manually loading in the tracking.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

The only time I manually upload tracking is if I combine two purchases from the same buyer in one box.  

The rest of the time (probably 98% of all mailing labels purchased on ebay), I do not manually upload tracking.  It is automatically recorded in my sales history and the order information and all of the other places where tracking is shown as soon as the mailing label is purchased.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I've heard of CS saying some pretty lame things but this has to be one of the best open_mouth
Every label I print on ebay auto uploads
Point them to their own ebay help pages .

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/printing-labels.html#benefits

shipping label upload.JPG

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Ditto what labs said.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You doubt an ebay "expert"?

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@thedazzlingdresser wrote:

So does the system automatically log your tracking when you purchase your shipping labels? Or do you have to manually load in the tracking? I have been assured by Ebays "expert" that all of you are manually loading in the tracking.

I assume that "expert" you refer to was some goofball on the Customer Service line. 

Yes, of course the tracking is automatically uploaded when you print your Shipping label through eBay/PayPal. It's been that way since, I don't know, forever.

I would stick to specifics with them: focus on the 7 specific transactions being shown as defects by them. You should be able to pull up your PayPal payment to USPS for each one that was made when the label was printed, yes? Was there anything unusual about those 7 transactions to make them stand out from all your others?

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I have NEVER manually loaded the tracking number when I buy the postage thru eBay, never!
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I too find that the labels I buy through eBay are automatically uploaded, unless it is a combined shipment, then I may have to manually upload it.

You are buying through eBay, or PayPal, right? If not, then yes, you would have to upload each one manually.

By some chance, did your buyer's file a INR claim on any of these 7 instances? It sounds as if perhaps you got the defects for that reason - as I have never heard of not having one being a problem in itself as eBay does not mandate that sellers' ship with tracking (just don't get a case filed against you because of it, else you will lose).  (You could remind your CS rep of this if needed.) And, now, you can't get it cleared up because no tracking was proven to back you up.  Never send as much as a piece of paper without tracking.

With the kind of sales you speak of, these 7 should not do enough damage to shut you down I wouldn't think - just be sure to not have any more.

If you know a teen you trust, consider offering them a few dollars to work an hour or two each week (again with that amount of sales - you can likely afford it) to have them double check your sales to ensure that tracking is loading properly - if you don't have the time to do it yourself. It's better to teach a kid responsibility and to earn date money, than for you to get bitten like this again - may be worth the expense. They can even follow up and check each sale to be sure it gets delivered.

Good luck.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Does that only count on things you have to combine after the fact?

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

By some chance, did your buyer's file a INR claim on any of these 7 instances?

Good point. You do not get a defect for not uploading tracking (in those circumstances where it does not happen automatically, such as when you buy postage over the counter, or combine a second sale with the shipment of the first one). You can get a defect if your buyer files an Item Not Received dispute and you do not upload a tracking number showing a Delivered status in the buyer's City and ZIP. 

Even if your tracking is automatically uploaded to the sale, it is not automatically uploaded to a dispute. That's one place where you do have to enter the tracking number yourself.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Since the tracking when purchased from ebay is automatic then what CS said doesn't matter. Do you purchase ALL your postage through ebay or some at the PO and some at Ebay ? Maybe that is the problem ? If not, something is wrong with your computer or something.  Not sure, but no one else is having your porblem.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I think we need a little more information about the seven that are not showing uploaded tracking in order to help.  Obviously, if you print your labels on ebay then the tracking is automatic without needing to manually do anything for the most part, or all your sales would be missing the numbers.

There are exceptions, though.  If I have a buyer purchase and pay separately for more than one item and I ship them all together, then I do have to manually upload the tracking on the ones I didn't print the label from. 

What metric is showing these seven issues?  Do you have defects or are they showing up under one of the two shipping metrics?  Are the numbers missing on them or did they just arrive late?

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

fern*wood wrote: 

There are exceptions, though.  If I have a buyer purchase and pay separately for more than one item and I ship them all together, then I do have to manually upload the tracking on the ones I didn't print the label from. 

That depends how you print your shipping label. I've had buyer pay for items separately, but if you use the bulk shipping tool it lets you combine them and the same tracking number will automatically upload to all of the transactions.

@thedazzlingdresser Can you please provide more information on these 7 transactions based on questions in the above posts?

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

We have more than $100,000 in sales on Ebay and now we have 7 defects because we "didn't manually upload the tracking" after purchasing the shipping labels from EBay. I have been assured by Ebay this has always been a requirement. I would like to know how we have  $100,000 in sales and this has never been an issueuntil now. (ANd it started in March) So EBAY has stated to me that if I go public with this and have all of you state that you don't manually load in tracking because it does it automatically that they will look into it and remove our defects. So does the system automatically log your tracking when you purchase your shipping labels? Or do you have to manually load in the tracking? I have been assured by Ebays "expert" that all of you are manually loading in the tracking.

Until we know exactly what the OP was talking about, all we can do is guess what is going on.  The OP says he has 7 "defects", but did not really explain the problem.

OP, can you explain exactly what these 7 "defects" were? Were they ... 

a) an actual defect, which would mean you either did not respond to a case, or canceled a transaction for being out of stock? (i.e. a "transaction defect"); or

b) items that were counted against the requirement that 90% of your shipments with US customers have valid tracking? ;  or

c) items that were counted as "late shipments" against the 3% threshold because ebay did not receive either tracking scans or a response from the buyer indicated it was mailed on time?

There is a requirement that 90% of your transactions have valid tracking. This means that you should strive to make sure there is a valid tracking number entered for each item you have sold and shipped.  In most cases eBay will automatically fill that number in if you purchase your postage through eBay, but in cases where ship items together or purchase postage outside eBay, there is a chance it may not always happen so you should always take a quick scan through your shipped items and verify. 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

What the heck is that? Did an eBay rep really tell you that?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 15 of 28
latest reply