cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay ID Verification

Hello, I used to sell on eBay a couple of years ago and am attempting to start selling on the platform again. I made 2 sales and 1 buy with no problems and then eBay put my account on hold last Wednesday. They wanted ID verification so I sent a copy of my DL. It's been a week since they got my ID and nothing has changed. How long does it typically take for the verification process? Is it done by computer or an actual human? Has anyone solved this issue? When I called customer support they said to give it a couple more days but I would like to know what the community has experienced. Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ebay ID Verification

Have you signed up with managed payments? You need to sign up with a checking account routing and account numbers in order to be paid as well as submitting social security number for income tax purposes.
Also new and infrequent sellers will have their funds on hold for a period of 14 days or up to 30 days. 
You may also be required to submit proof of ownership of the items you sold. Selling identical items in the quantity you sold will tend to cause eBay to flag your account. So be prepared to upload receipts showing you bought the items you sold.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

While I have never had my account put on hold when I was switched over to managed payments it took almost 3 weeks for eBay to complete the conversion but there were a lot of sellers converting at that time. 

EBay also now seems to be playing catchup with all the new laws pertaining to ID verification, tax laws and curbing the selling of stolen merchandise. Their customer service has become abysmal and is virtually useless. The support personnel will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone even if that means lying to you. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

Hey, yeah I have a Mastercard and account with routing numbers connected. In fact I already got paid out from my first two sales. It wasn't until I made a buy that eBay restricted my account. Ive also supplied my  SSN#. Is it possibly because my middle initials are on my DL but not my Bank account? In that case should I try to switch to another bank account that has my middle initials? 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

Hmm, well I guess I'll wait and see what happens. The weird part is that I was able to make 2 sales for just under $500 and got paid out no problem. It wasn't until I bought some old coins and was ready to list some more items that my account was restricted. Very odd.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

All information must match exactly. Accounts are not generally restricted for buying, mostly selling. 
Your account was likely flagged when you made that last sale. 
Hope all turns out for you. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

Ughh. I wish customer service was more transparent about the nature of the restrictions. Is it against eBay policy to just start a new account with a different bank account or will that get flagged down the line?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

When I first signed up for managed payments a few years back, I had the middle initial problem.  My bank used it, but I couldn't find a way to add a middle initial on my account with ebay.  I finally added the middle initial as part of my first name on my account with a space in between. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

Yes, name on your checking account, social security card and EBAY profile page should be an EXACT MATCH (because your sales are reported to the IRS).    No nicknames (should be your legal name).

That being said...I would NOT revise your checking account (at this point) because EBAY has already been sending money into that account and it may only mess things up further.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

I had a problem between checking account and Ebay account name  when the change to MP was made.  Was much easier to change the ebay account name than try to change the checking account.......... (was initials, versus specific middle name).....

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Ebay ID Verification

@a1_since_day1 wrote:

Ughh. I wish customer service was more transparent about the nature of the restrictions. Is it against eBay policy to just start a new account with a different bank account or will that get flagged down the line?

Multiple accounts are allowed, except to circumvent a restriction, suspension, or etc. see policy below.

…Are there circumstances when creating another account isn't allowed?

Registering new accounts to avoid buying and selling restrictions or limits, or other policy consequences, is not allowed on eBay.”

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-policies/multiple-accounts-policy?id=4232

Message 11 of 11
latest reply