cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Highway Robbery Fees

In the past month I have purchased and sold a total of $8,162.16 in Computer Graphics Cards. Of that Ebay has taken $1020.27 in FVF or roughly 12.5%. Outrageous Selling and Buying Fees, mind you on our Used goods.

This is Excessive but that's not why I am here today. I am here because I recently had a graphics card up for sale on ebay and it had one bidder. The bid was 600 usd. After the bidder placed his bid i looked at what i was selling and noticed a scratch on the pcb of the graphics card. Thinking to myself oh boy I can't sell this item to him because it was damaged i quickly ended the auction. It had many days left on the clock.

Come to find out a couple days later I get a charge on my ebay account for 75.30. Ebay charged me a FVF on an unsold item. There is no contract between me and the buyer, no money exchanged, no goods shipped or received. How are they able to get away with this ? This is not where I was raised. This Country has gone to the fleas and ticks of the world!

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Ebay Highway Robbery Fees

@mam98031 wrote:

@cstpos wrote:

@nh_sales_lvWhat did you do to get them to refund you?

@cstpos 

The OP had a legit reason for cancelling their auction.  So they simply called Ebay and let them know the facts surrounding their decision to cancel the auction.  Ebay refunded the fees they charged because they recognize there are times when cancelling an auction is necessary.

Personally, I disagree that the OP's reason for canceling (at the time he did it) was legit. Before canceling,  the OP  should have contacted the bidder, explained the supposed undisclosed damage and asked if the bidder had an issue with it. Based on how the bidder felt about the potential purchase, the cancellation might have been valid. 

It's very possible that the buyer may have been happy with the price and willing to accept a less-than-perfect widget but wasn't given the opportunity.

JMHO. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 91 of 114
latest reply

@justafemster wrote:

nohiss isn't coming back here.  

Ebay refund to a seller don't happen and nohiss knows we all know this.  

Especially if they had a reserve.  

@justafemster 

What makes you say that?  Just because they haven't posted yet today?  

NO we all don't know this and YES the OP has said they were refunded for the fees and YES they should have been as they had a legit reason for ending the listing.

The OP has also said they did NOT have a reserve on the auction.  In one post where they used the word, they explain in a subsequent post that they simply chose the wrong word to explain what they did.

So while you may believe that the OP isn't being truthful and they were not refunded for the fees.  I believe they are being truthful on this as they had a really good reason for ending the auction.  Ebay knows this can happen and therefore agreed to refund them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 92 of 114
latest reply

@mam98031  I was asking if they used the phone,  chat function, or social media to get it resolved. Are you assuming they called and spoke on the phone?

Message 93 of 114
latest reply

@cstpos wrote:

@mam98031  I was asking if they used the phone,  chat function, or social media to get it resolved. Are you assuming they called and spoke on the phone?

Valid point.  IDK which method they used.  However it is likely that any of those would have resulted in the same outcome.  There are legit reasons for closing an auction and Ebay knows that.  On the first time a seller requests the refund the chances are higher for them to easily refund it to the seller.  On subsequent claims it would become a bit harder to get a refund.  I'm not sure what they would require of the seller as I've never been involved with a seller that has done this repeatedly.

Message 94 of 114
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Personally, I disagree that the OP's reason for canceling (at the time he did it) was legit. Before canceling,  the OP  should have contacted the bidder, explained the supposed undisclosed damage and asked if the bidder had an issue with it. Based on how the bidder felt about the potential purchase, the cancellation might have been valid. 

It's very possible that the buyer may have been happy with the price and willing to accept a less-than-perfect widget but wasn't given the opportunity.

Agreed. I had a similar situation with a fixed-price listing-- it was a vintage plush doll (over 20 years old) that had a shiny fabric bracelet. When I pulled it out of the (temperature-controlled) closet to pack it and touched the bracelet in the process, some of the shiny coating flaked off just from age. I contacted the buyer with photos and let them know what happened, then offered them a discount if they still wanted it or a cancellation and refund if they would prefer that instead. Turns out they still wanted the doll, so I gave them the discount and shipped it out and all was well, no cancellation needed.

Message 95 of 114
latest reply

recall my first sell on ebay ( 1999 )

They work for sellers with low fee.

We did have good time but not anymore

I just say long goodbye to ebay.  I didn't aware the new payment system fee change until I got the bill....

endup the FVF is over 10%

on high value item, it is 100% not work....

no more small retailer on earth soon.... only big chain as amazon can survive

slave system resurrent....   we all work for big chain with no hope on furture....

Message 96 of 114
latest reply

@chinaarts wrote:

recall my first sell on ebay ( 1999 )

They work for sellers with low fee.

We did have good time but not anymore

I just say long goodbye to ebay.  I didn't aware the new payment system fee change until I got the bill....

endup the FVF is over 10%

on high value item, it is 100% not work....

no more small retailer on earth soon.... only big chain as amazon can survive

slave system resurrent....   we all work for big chain with no hope on furture....

@chinaarts 

As with anything else, costs have gone up in the past 20 years.  Ebay employees would never want to be paid the same rates as they were paid two decades ago either.  Just normal stuff for costs to go up for everyone.

I'm unsure why so many sellers seem to forget that PayPal charged a 2.9% fee that we now no longer pay.  But your fees have not gone up in your category that I'm aware of.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section8

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

Message 97 of 114
latest reply

My paypal rate is 1.5% only

before the change, I have to pay 6.5% fvf fee, 1.5% papal fee +  0.5-2% cross broader international fee

Now I have to pay 3-4% more....  about 13-14%

ebay earn much much more than me.... no point to sell on ebay again..

ebay can keep their revenue keep increasing, most profit from big chain.....

Vero for brand name, high fee.....  sorry... I giveup 🙂

Message 98 of 114
latest reply

Well good luck wherever you decide to go.  

PP fees went up a couple months ago, so you would have no longer had that 1.5% rate.  

Message 99 of 114
latest reply

Wow that’s seems unfair. 

Message 100 of 114
latest reply

That’s great! That’s too much money to lose, for an item you decided to cancel. If you would have let it go to the end the buyer could have said not as described - then u would have been out $600 plus. We pay eBay to sell on their site, so we should have the right to end auctions without penalties, for honest mistakes we sometimes make.

Message 101 of 114
latest reply

Paypal rate was 2.9% for everyone.  I don't see how you could get a better rate.  I used to have a better rate on paypal many years ago, I paid 2.1% but it changed so everyone paid 2.9%.  Personally, I have seen my fees go down.  Ebay charges me 11.7%, I guess because I sell a lot of items and my invoice total for the month is about the same I paid Ebay before the changed except now I don't pay Paypal any fees.

Message 102 of 114
latest reply

No-because if he would have sold it for $600 the buyer could have opened a case for not as described snd eBay would have given them their $600 back-and they would have been able to keep the item. 

Message 103 of 114
latest reply

I just sold an item for $179.99.  Ebay took $12.5% and I ended up with $147, then I have to pay $15 shipping!  Ebay is making it very hard for SELLERS (not themselves) to profit!  I have a hard time selling even a blu-ray movie because Ebay takes so much, plus shipping and what others sell them for!  Then, they have the nerve to charge us for taxes paid to each state!  Who does that?  

I am not even high volume and I now know that I can never be because fees are way too much to profit from.  I guess I will have to make sure that I am very careful about what I buy so I won't have to sell.  Raising prices to try to compensate for this rip-off makes it even harder to sell.

Message 104 of 114
latest reply

Would you rather collect those taxes yourself and dispurse them to all the different states? Ebay is entitled to charge a transaction fee on collecting and paying those taxes for sellers.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 105 of 114
latest reply