cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Highway Robbery Fees

In the past month I have purchased and sold a total of $8,162.16 in Computer Graphics Cards. Of that Ebay has taken $1020.27 in FVF or roughly 12.5%. Outrageous Selling and Buying Fees, mind you on our Used goods.

This is Excessive but that's not why I am here today. I am here because I recently had a graphics card up for sale on ebay and it had one bidder. The bid was 600 usd. After the bidder placed his bid i looked at what i was selling and noticed a scratch on the pcb of the graphics card. Thinking to myself oh boy I can't sell this item to him because it was damaged i quickly ended the auction. It had many days left on the clock.

Come to find out a couple days later I get a charge on my ebay account for 75.30. Ebay charged me a FVF on an unsold item. There is no contract between me and the buyer, no money exchanged, no goods shipped or received. How are they able to get away with this ? This is not where I was raised. This Country has gone to the fleas and ticks of the world!

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@axiombody wrote:

I said straight out I can sell an item and cancel it and sell it off line without paying fees.  This is the threads argument for why Ebay can do this on an auction correct.  Auction or not a cancelled transaction that results in fees for an item that was not sold shouldn't result in fees.  I am not here to judge I am just making my point and not understanding why everyone assume OP should pay because he didn't see the damage on an item that he didn't collect money for that he cancelled in good faith.  Stupid and wrong, but hey it's only your opinion.

@axiombody 

You just need to read more of the posts.

The OP had GOOD reason to cancel the auction.  They were also able to call Ebay and get the fee reversed, so they were refunded the fee.  And that is how that should have gone because the OP was correct in his reasoning to do this.

Where many of us disagree with them is on how they handled the buyer that got caught up in this issue.  The OP doesn't see any reason to contact the buyer, even to say they are sorry for the issue.  My post 75 pretty much says it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 76 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

E-Bay tells you that you may be charged fees for ending a listing early (see link)

This is not new, not derivative of ticks and fleas......just e-Bay policy. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 114
latest reply

It wasn't Policy when I joined Ebay 16 years ago, nothing in the policy then.... Looks like a later edition with no legal binding written with Chicken scratch

Message 3 of 114
latest reply

Do you understand Katzrul15 that a transaction must take place for something to be considered a Sale? This is plain Theft on Ebays part

Message 4 of 114
latest reply

1.  It is  part of the User Agreement  between you and eBay  - you agreed to when you signed on to eBay.  It is only a surprise if you did not read and understand the UA.

2.  Could have and should done a more through inspection before you listed your  item.  The onus is on you.

3.  Selling fee looks to be spot on from - none of them are hidden from the seller - pays to read then there are no surprises.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 114
latest reply

12.5 is what Ebay told you it would cost. You can try somewhere else if 12.5 is too much. The problem is trying to find that many buyers without Ebay. Good luck !!!!

Message 6 of 114
latest reply

eBay sends you updates on the UA certainly & if you object to teh chages you can opt out - if you don't  you have agreed to the updates. eBay and most other companies do the same - Just received such a notification from PayPal and Spectrum.

Plus there are frequent ANNOUNCEMENTS on policy changes, etc  It pays to read. = no surprises.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 7 of 114
latest reply

All of you are coming up with your Company Policy Shenanigans yet you refuse to look at the facts. NO SALE - NO FVF. Only CRIMINALS caught RED HANDED STEALING will hide behind your Chicken Scratch additions to a flawed policy.

Message 8 of 114
latest reply

A sale is completed when the item is paid for and ownership has changed ( delivered or picked up by the buyer).  Was in  sales for 41 years.  It is only considered revenue or a "booking" until that point.

A transaction is a completed agreement between a buyer and a seller to exchange goods, services, or financial assets in return for money. ... A transaction may be recorded by a company earlier or later depending on whether it uses accrual accounting or cash accounting.

Key word "completed"

Message 9 of 114
latest reply

Yes, no item was paid for and ownership never changed. Not a Sale, but that didn't stop Ebay from Stealing 75.30 from me.

Message 10 of 114
latest reply

"Do you understand" fee's, auction cancellation fee's, policy for seller's and NO FEE's to buyers other then the sales tax in their state- are all fully transparent and easy to find before agreeing to sell/buy here.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 114
latest reply

Do you Understand the Definition of Theft in the Dictionary ?

Definition of theft

1a: the act of stealing specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
b: an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
2: a stolen base in baseball
3obsolete : something stolen

Message 12 of 114
latest reply

But the eBay fee, while related to the transaction, is based on eBay's services in relation to that transaction.

In this case, eBay is of the opinion that the cancelled transaction actually took place, off site, in an effort to avoid those fees.

And eBay believes that since they helped the seller and the buyer find each other, eBay should get paid.

And that is why there is a fee.

Message 13 of 114
latest reply

Who is Ebay to believe anything, the Item is in my Possession, the potential buyer in a Different state, No electronic communications were made in attempt to contact. Utter Nonsense !

Message 14 of 114
latest reply

@nh_sales_lv wrote:

Who is Ebay to believe anything, the Item is in my Possession, the potential buyer in a Different state, No electronic communications were made in attempt to contact. Utter Nonsense !

You'll have to lawyer up and engage eBay admin personally on this - none of us can help you, it's eBay policy.  I find this policy ridiculous, too, particularly since eBay so blithely sends buyers off site, but you really do need to keep up on this stuff so you don't get surprised.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 114
latest reply