cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay First Class to Ground Advantage Bulk Edit Problem, LARGE QUANTITIES, No Business Policies

We have 30,000 active ebay listing, and do NOT use ebay business policies.  Instead, we have 20 listing templates that our team uses when creating new listings.  We have avoided using business policies because we like the ability to customize shipping specifics and return specifics when we are listing items because certain items are required to be shipped a certain way, or not allowed to be shipped a certain way (batteries, liquids, some test equipment, etc).

Around 10,000 of our listings are "calculated shipping" with USPS First Class as the first option which we have as free for the buyers.  Then we have Priority Mail, UPS Ground, and UPS Next Day Air as optional calculated upgrades for the buyer if they want to pay for a different shipping service.  

What do we do?  I am unable to find a way to bulk-edit these items.  The bulk editing tool does not allow us to filter our listings by first-class listings.  When I download a CSV of our listings there is no way for us to sort them by first class either.

Is there not a way for Ebay on the back-end to create a rule to automatically switch first-class listings to ground advantage?

Is there anything we can do to automate this or will all of my first-class listings be removed from ebay?
Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Ebay First Class to Ground Advantage Bulk Edit Problem, LARGE QUANTITIES, No Business Policies

kyle@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

Op says

We were informed yesterday that eBay would not allow items to be relisted after August 9th that have an option of first-class package shipping service.

Announcement says (7/10)

We are asking sellers to update listings to Ground Advantage over the next 30 days to ensure buyers see the most accurate shipping details. We realize this may take longer for some sellers and we will continue to support First-Class on existing listings for a longer period of time. We will update you as more information becomes available.  

Do CRS need some information/education?  Hate to see incorrect info being given to sellers......can't believe the "longer period of time" would only be 1 wk.....

Hey @dhbookds I'll be glad to help sort this out.  The 30 days timeframe is referring to July 10th-August 9th.  After August 9th, if Good-Til-Cancelled listings have not been updated correctly, they may not renew themselves at that point.  

Hey everyone, as this situation continues to evolve and new information comes available, I have a quick update!  We are no longer referring to a deadline of August 9th!  While there is no hard deadline in place at this point in time, we want to stress to everyone the line right after that in the announcement that states:

"We realize this may take longer for some sellers and we will continue to support First-Class on existing listings for a longer period of time. We will update you as more information becomes available."

Kyle,
eBay
Message 46 of 94
latest reply

Re: Ebay First Class to Ground Advantage Bulk Edit Problem, LARGE QUANTITIES, No Business Policies

I would definitely consider using business policies for a store of that size or any size for that matter.

I didn't use them for the longest time because I thought they were a huge pain but after you learn how to set them up, it makes life so much easier. Might take you some time now but you should consider setting up business policies for all of the different ways you ship/return/charge shipping etc...

Other than that you'll most likely have to do it manually.

Message 47 of 94
latest reply

I stated once in this thread, your business cannot be compared to maverickindustrialsales and mine and auto category.  Most of my items have different shipping requirements.  Most have variable weights and DIMM's which require calculated shipping.  If we were to go to Zone pricing which shipping policies would put us in our shipping costs would increase.  eBay shipping policies work for some categories and not for others.  Have an open mind about all Selling on eBay, many caretories are not like yours.  This is standard eBay in that all on the platform are not really considered when making changes.  eBay should have learned from their first global shipping deal, we were BETA for a week and got out, did not really perform as designed.  eBay should just stay out of shipping they really do not know how to do it.  They should hire Stamps.com for shipping and hire for 100% Google for search.  I think if both were done the platform would grow instead of losing Gross Market Value, GMV, 7 quarters in a row and most likely the 8th quarter when the numbers are released for last quarter.

Message 48 of 94
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote:

I stated once in this thread, your business cannot be compared to maverickindustrialsales and mine and auto category.  Most of my items have different shipping requirements.  Most have variable weights and DIMM's which require calculated shipping.  If we were to go to Zone pricing which shipping policies would put us in our shipping costs would increase.  eBay shipping policies work for some categories and not for others.  Have an open mind about all Selling on eBay, many caretories are not like yours.  This is standard eBay in that all on the platform are not really considered when making changes.  eBay should have learned from their first global shipping deal, we were BETA for a week and got out, did not really perform as designed.  eBay should just stay out of shipping they really do not know how to do it.  They should hire Stamps.com for shipping and hire for 100% Google for search.  I think if both were done the platform would grow instead of losing Gross Market Value, GMV, 7 quarters in a row and most likely the 8th quarter when the numbers are released for last quarter.

98 Percent of the store in question is free shipping. One policy would literally cover 98 percent of their store. "Free Shipping" standard shipping. 

Can you point to a single thing you can do without shipping policies that you cannot do with them? I would love to hear about it. Be aware that calculated shipping, combined shipping, exceptions for specific items and allowing customers to choose between different options are all possible with policies.

Message 49 of 94
latest reply

I hear you. Often times we can’t see things outside our own narrow scope. This may be a difficult piece for the rest of understand. Let me preface by saying I could be way off here in my own understanding of what’s happening. 

With respect to policies, are you saying you can’t assign which shipping option you’ll use when you do the listing? How is it exactly that variable weights and calculated shipping preclude you from setting up a policy? Why exactly would a shipping policy put you in zone pricing?

I think unless you can explain why, in layman’s terms, everyone here is going to find it difficult to help you. 

Message 50 of 94
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote: ....  Most of my items have different shipping requirements.  Most have variable weights and DIMM's which require calculated shipping.  If we were to go to Zone pricing which shipping policies would put us in our shipping costs would increase.....

Why does that make shipping policies impossible? A shipping policy specifies the service, handling time, and whether the shipping cost will be flat or calculated. Then IF flat rate shipping, a price is entered. Package weight and dimensions are not part of the policy; they are entered for each listing.  I do not understand your distinction between calculated shipping and "Zone pricing." Here's the entire set of data that are included in a shipping policy:

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 2.54.43 PM.png

Message 51 of 94
latest reply

Thank you for the input.  Hopefully, in time, eBay will arrive at a fix for this instead of a "kick the can down the road approach".  

Message 52 of 94
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote:

Most of my items have different shipping requirements.  Most have variable weights and DIMM's which require calculated shipping.  If we were to go to Zone pricing which shipping policies would put us in our shipping costs would increase.  

When you refer to "zone pricing" @allthingssurplus, are you perhaps confusing business policies with rate tables? If not, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

As mentioned in above posts, you can set up calculated or flat shipping policies. While you can use rate tables with flat cost biz policies, it's not a requirement. I don't use rate tables. I have a mix of flat and calculated shipping policies to suit my variety of inventory. Some of them have combined shipping rules applied, some do not.

Any shipping, return or payment set up that can be implemented without biz policies can also be set up with biz policies.

Biz policies consolidate and save time.

Say you set up calculated shipping with a choice of 2 services. And you either set that up in a listing template or you manually set it up with every listing you create. To make any kind of change you have to either update listings one by one, or use the bulk editor. But there's no real way to filter which listings use that shipping set up unless maybe you can do it by store category.

Say you set up biz policies. And you set up a shipping policy with that calculated choice of 2 services. You apply that policy to your template and/or your individual listings. Want to make an update? It will apply with just a few clicks to every listing using that policy. Want to update one single listing? No problem - create a new shipping policy and attach it to that listing. Want to see what listings are using that shipping policy? One single click filters every listing tied to that policy on seller hub active listings page.

Package WT and DIM are set up at the listing level, not at the biz policy level.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 53 of 94
latest reply

"If that Seller has calculated shipping checked and ships using First Class Package bulk editing is just not possible. We have tried and we use a third party as well. The key factor is calculated."

The key factor is not calculated, but "third party". You are right, bulk editing will not work with business shipping policies, But.......

If you use business policies, why are you even trying to use Ebay's bulk editor? Your shipping business policy serves as the bulk editor, and it takes seconds. Time = money.

In the business policy, to switch from first class to ground advantage. I went to policy I titled "First Class", and set up for first class only. Click on add service, and choose USPS ground advantage. Then next to USPS First class, I clicked on link remove service. That changed all of my listings that used the "First Class" shipping policy. That is how it is used as a bulk editor for shipping services used, handling time, shipping international yourself, and excluding countries.

When you create the listing, you choose or create the shipping policy.   Then input the weight and box dimensions, which is needed for calculated shipping. That is not taken care of by business shipping policies. That is solely taken care of when you are creating a listing.

I see shipping business policies may not work with a third party software program that does not recognize Ebay's shipping business policies. You directly in put the weight and dimensions in the listing itself, but Ebay is using some type of program or coding to grab the shipping business policy information from elsewhere. I can see where a third party may have issues with that.

I always use calculated shipping. I sell a large variety of items the smallest being a of earrings to the largest so far being a 19" doll. I have shipped everything from 01z to 5 pounds. I also will combine shipping whenever possible.  Calculated shipping factors in all of USPS shipping carrier rules and zones as long as you have the weight and box dimensions correctly set in the listing. I can't speak for UPS or FedEX, but would assume the same. I had first class shipping on 148 listings out of 581.

If I had to try to use bulk edit from first class to ground advantage, I would have to take more than a day to sift through most of the 581 items just to make sure they didn't have first class shipping. I think I would give up at that point. Just to switch from first class to ground advantage, it took under a minute to switch 3 business policies.

I could just as easily switch from calculated to free shipping on all of my listings if I wanted to by making changes in the business shipping policies. Through the shipping policies not through the bulk editor.  If I had free shipping on all of my items and made sure to put in the weight of the box, length, width, and height when creating the listing. I could just as easily switch from free shipping to calculated shipping. I have my policies set up for USPS only, since that is where I can walk to every day, and don't have other options without having to drive. I could just as easily add FED EX or UPS.

Because I use Ebay labels, I can make adjustments to the weight or box dimensions after I click on purchase label, but before I click on the buy button. Anyone using ebay labels would be familiar with this. I do this frequently whether or not I combine shipping. I find my self adjusting by a couple of ounces usually.

What you are telling me is that I should have never been able to switch from first class to ground advantage because I use calculated shipping on all of my items, have weights ranging from 1 oz to 5 pounds, and use business policies?

The only difference, I never use the bulk editor for shipping with the shipping policies. Why make things 100x more difficult? If you want to go from free shipping to calculated, but never entered the weight or box dimensions in the listing, well that is another story.

Message 54 of 94
latest reply

kyle@ebay wrote:

kyle@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

Op says

We were informed yesterday that eBay would not allow items to be relisted after August 9th that have an option of first-class package shipping service.

Announcement says (7/10)

We are asking sellers to update listings to Ground Advantage over the next 30 days to ensure buyers see the most accurate shipping details. We realize this may take longer for some sellers and we will continue to support First-Class on existing listings for a longer period of time. We will update you as more information becomes available.  

Do CRS need some information/education?  Hate to see incorrect info being given to sellers......can't believe the "longer period of time" would only be 1 wk.....

Hey @dhbookds I'll be glad to help sort this out.  The 30 days timeframe is referring to July 10th-August 9th.  After August 9th, if Good-Til-Cancelled listings have not been updated correctly, they may not renew themselves at that point.  

Hey everyone, as this situation continues to evolve and new information comes available, I have a quick update!  We are no longer referring to a deadline of August 9th!  While there is no hard deadline in place at this point in time, we want to stress to everyone the line right after that in the announcement that states:

"We realize this may take longer for some sellers and we will continue to support First-Class on existing listings for a longer period of time. We will update you as more information becomes available."

Thanks Kyle..........I appreciate the "update".........but think the real problem is original communication....3rd time you (not your fault) haven't been given the correct info....and I've sent an email to one of the shipping guys and suddenly there is an "update"......  If something like this happens again.....I'd suggest checking with a different source in the beginning........just a heads up.......

Message 55 of 94
latest reply

You are right. I wonder if some people think there can only be one shipping policy.

Many various shipping policies can be created, for a lot of situations. 

You could have:

"First Class 1 Day Handling",

"First Class No international",

"First Class 14 Day Handling".

If you choose "First Class 14 Day Handling" that is what will show up on your listing giving you 14 days to ship just for that listing, and any other listings you choose to select that particular policy. All your other listings could be "First Class 1 Day Handling".

You can have 10 calculated policies, 3 free shipping policies, 15 flat rate shipping policies all at once. You would just have 28 different policies in total, better than changing 10,000 listings. I have 7 shipping policies right now for 500 listings.  I deleted a shipping policy I had just for one item that already sold. I could have kept it for the future, but am trying to keep things as simple as I can. I can easily recreate it later on if needed.

Examples calculated and free shipping:

1) Ground advantage Under a pound 1 day handling

2) USPS Ground - UPS - Fed EX 1 day handling

3) USPS Ground - UPS - Fed Ex 3 day Handling

4) USPS Ground No international

5) UPS 10 Day handling, and etc

6) USPS Priority - Overnight - Fed Ex 5 day Handling Ship to US and Canada only

Offer flat rate shipping, you can create policies:

"Under a pound X amount",

"1-2 pounds X amount,

"2-3 pounds X amount"

There is a freight option and local pick up only option.

Ebay doesn't always make things clear. When I first saw business policies, I tried it and didn't like it. It wasn't until I watched some videos, especially the one form the auction professor that I actually understood the policies, how they worked, and what you could do with them. Now I'll never go back.

I noticed people talking about trying to use a bulk editor with business policies, when business policies is the bulk editor for shipping.

If a large company had specific software for listing and handling shipping specifics that couldn't interact with Ebay's policies, then there would be problems and issues. Maybe a business had a business account with special rates better than Ebay's discounts from specific carriers, and used their shipping label system. Then business policies may not work for them. Other than that, there should be no problem.

Message 56 of 94
latest reply

Going forward after First Class is gone and Ground advantage is fully in, policies will work for bulk editing.  The CURRENT issue will not allow policies to do the trick because of Calculated shipping and First Class Package.  eBay has already come out and said there is no fix other than manual for First Class Package.  I checked what you sell and we are in apples to oranges categories.  You will have no issue in making this change.  Companies like mine and others in Auto, Business and Industrial and Computers and Tables , this is a huge problem.  I understand for you its hard to see what the issue is.  I see that for you.  How about you understand that others may have shipping issues your are not aware of.  Big difference in Zone and Calculated shipping.  Take Texas as and example.  I ship a 12x8x6 lb box to El Paso from Phoenix cost will be $12-14 landed to Tyler Texas 1000 miles away  will be $18 to 21.  Zone pricing USPS would more or likely be $19 for the zone.  No don't go crazy with the numbers.  This is just of show the reason calculated verse zone.  eBay loves zone as they collect more fees with that.  I save $4-5000 a year by using calculated.  I have 4 people I'm paying to revise our listing this weekend.  It will take some 280 man hours to do the process.  We will finish by the end of next week.  If I am incorrect you would have hear from eBay correcting me and to date none from eBay has said a thing.

Message 57 of 94
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote: ... Big difference in Zone and Calculated shipping.  Take Texas as and example.  I ship a 12x8x6 lb box to El Paso from Phoenix cost will be $12-14 landed to Tyler Texas 1000 miles away  will be $18 to 21.  Zone pricing USPS would more or likely be $19 for the zone.  No don't go crazy with the numbers.  This is just of show the reason calculated verse zone.  ...

Sorry but I still have absolutely no idea what is the difference between "calculated" and "Zone" pricing. Are they different carriers? Different services? I'd appreciate a specific example with exact prices.  If you do have some way to ship for less, we'd all like to know about it!

Message 58 of 94
latest reply

Everything you are saying is fine and dandy with regard to eBay policies after all of First Class is no longer in listing.  For the current Issue of changing First Class Package with Ground Advantage and having calculated shipping policies will not work.  eBay has stated that only parcel select will convert and not remove any other shipping service the Seller is willing to provide.  In order for this change to take place for Auto, Business and Industrial and my category Computers and Tables we are forced to do it manually.  If this were not true an eBay worker would have already come out and said what I and several others have been saying is incorrect.  To date that has not happened.  By the way the 3 categories stated are the money maker for eBay.  Once again we are punished for paying high fees and not receiving proper IT to make this change.

Message 59 of 94
latest reply

@maverickindustrialsales wrote:

Kyle,

Thank you for trying to help, but again we are unable to use business policies for our application. We are not anti-business policies. We have tried and there is no way to use them with our business model. We know that we are not alone in that and would really like for your voice as a moderator to pass this up the ladder.  

Surely as has been voiced by others in this thread, eBay would not benefit from having thousands of listings drop off of their site due to this issue. 

Because weights and dimensions are stored on eBay, could anything over 3.5 oz be automatically moved to Ground Advantage on the back end? It would seem that could be a solution so that first-class envelope users could retain their products as well. 

@maverickindustrialsales  thank you!  As of former programmer, I don't understand the difficulty?  I was writing the very simple code in my head.  Of course IDK today's languages since I was an Assembler programmer, but the basic premise is exactly what you typed.  IF shipping = First Class AND weight = >3 ounces THEN change FC to GA, ELSE continue.   I fail to see the probem & whatever language you choose to write it in, it's a simple piece of code. 

It may not get everything, but it seems that would easily get 90%. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 60 of 94
latest reply