cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBays guarantee delivery dates and vacation settings.

We had to close our physical shop for a week due to the virus from the 13th till the 20th.  At this time I put the store on vacation mode.  I know it was working because I checked my listing and I saw the banner that said we were away and items would be delayed in shipping.  However since then I have had 3 customers now complaining to me about the package not arriving by the date it said on the listing.  1 was totaling understanding in the situation but the other 2 are wanting to return the items.  I know this date is Ebays guarantee.  Also I know some carriers are experiencing delays in packages as I have had a few things ive ordered delayed as well personally.  

So my question is this.  Do you give them a full refund plus shipping costs or just the purchase price once they return the item?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: EBays guarantee delivery dates and vacation settings.

Unfortunately, if the buyers open a case through eBay and eBay sides with them, you will end up paying for the shipping back to you + the original price of the item and their shipping. 

eBay almost always sies with the buyer unless you have enough proof to show proof the buyer was scamming or out right violating policy. You would have appeal it using their appeal system. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Oh I am way to familiar with the what I call "THE MAGIC BUTTON"  INAD case for return.   I just dont understand why buyers dont understand that once we ship the item.  The time it takes to get their is no longer under our control.  Not to mention if it was so important you get the item by a specific date why not send the buyer a message and say something and maybe get it next day aired or something.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Did you extend your handling time or just do the banner?  Need to extend the shipping time when things are going to be delayed.

That said, if they want to return.......you are going to have to accept it....as others say.......

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You placed the store on vacation and left the items available for purchase but didn't extend your handling ?

You need to either stop purchases from buyers or extend handling
Simply putting the store on vacation Banner or not isn't going to protect you from buyers INR cases .

They should try to make that more clear to sellers in the help pages because this happens a lot from posts I see here

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you didn't adjust your handling time, Ebay still expects you to ship within your handling time.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@labs118 wrote: ... They should try to make that more clear to sellers in the help pages because this happens a lot from posts I see here

The Help page about vacation settings has this advice box:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.33.19 AM.png

Perhaps some sellers don't see it, or don't understand it.  The vacation setting is basically just an "Away" message and sellers need to revise their handling time to match their anticipated actual shipping date.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I found out this the hard way a few years ago as well, but "Vacation Mode" does, well really nothing, for you, *unless* you remember to also check the box below it 'Keep people from buying your fixed price listings while you're on vacation'.  Otherwise according to eBay, you still are required to ship 'on time'.  Alternative, as some have said is to update all your listing to increase 'handling time' to 14 days.  However, I've found it more realistic to just check the 'keep people from buying' box.  People, in my opinion, are happier waiting without having purchased at all, than to have bought and then be 'surprised' that they won't get their package until 2+ weeks later.

I'm a little confused about returns though.  If you haven't shipped because you are on 'vacation', how are they able to request a return on something that 1) isn't shipped and 2) isn't delivered?  Perhaps I just have no experience with anyone trying to return something that hasn't even shipped.

If it's requesting to Cancel because their item hasn't shipped, cancel and refund everything and take this as a learning experience on how to use (the hidden and counter-intuitive settings in) Vacation Mode for the next time.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

However since then I have had 3 customers now complaining to me about the package not arriving by the date it said on the listing.  1 was totaling understanding in the situation but the other 2 are wanting to return the items.  

Something is missing here.

We get it that buyers would be annoyed by slow delivery, but why would they want to return stuff which arrived slow?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply