cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay sucks and is terrible for sellers

I sold piece of industrial equipment on eBay , listed as new (see details). As it was in the lab and had not been installed.   After the purchase.  The buyer had me drop shipped to his end customer the customer did not want it.  So his end customer shipped the unit back to him.  I said no returns accepted. And the reason he gave was that it is not new. 

EBay sided with the buyer and force the return through me.  This item cost over $2000 dollars so the final fees were over 200.   I didn't like it but they force my hand.  The problem was that the buyer then shipped a different non working unit back to me.  I told EBay about it and called the end customer to make sure that he sent back the correct one. The end customer was purchasing agent for a big manufacturing company and provided me with the pictures of my unit.(it had stickers on it.).  First pic is my unit second one is the picture of what I received.  I tested the equipment and all of the setup files are missing from the device.  So I pleaded with eBay not to refund the buyer.  No only did they sided with the buyer,  they are taking are also not refunding my final value fee.  EBay is does not work with sellers despite what they say on the web page.  I am out over $300, final value fee,  cost of return shipping and PayPal fee.  I would have been fine with it if the buyer had return my unit that was in working condition. So all in all seller beware!  they turn the cheek and let fraud be commited on their system and take their cut. I am going to Bonanza.  EBay sucks!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: EBay sucks and is terrible for sellers

@adspec1 wrote:

Right, that is like asking the bank robber to return the money he got.

Your assuming this was done on purpose, large companies have IT departments that swap hardware all the time and don't pay attention to serial numbers.

Start nice and then move into the mail fraud and theft conversations. No reason to start off that way.

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

@phcd1

The pictures were right,  it was a lab unit and had not been installed in he field,  the unit hat I got back looks new but is DOA,  I have been working with these units for many years now and know it inside out.  

Can you prove that to law enforcement is the question you will be asked.

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

@phcd1

i did ask the buyer,  he said to stop playing games and that he ripped the sticker off of the unit...  now if you are returning something do you, rip stickers off repaint scratch marks on the housing and format software so that the unit Cannot be used anymore???  He scammed me, and I am feeling a bit down because I have lost a lot of money.

Message 33 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

@a_c_green

The paypal payment said in the message to drop ship to end customer and provided the address.  

Well dont buy parts  or sell to from ********************.  It's probably stolen from someone, and eBay wont help you.  Thanks to everyone for the responses it has made me feel better.

It's against policy to name and shame, let alone slander, you might want to revise your post.

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

Stop messing around!

Call the local PD of the address you shipped to.

Start the ball rolling and then ask the company how they want to proceed.

Don't let them get away with this, if you do they will do it again and again and again until STOPPED.

Grand Theft is a major crime that could result in someone spending a good amount of time behind bars.

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

These two pictures are what I have and yes I have the end customer(person I dropped ship to) saying he sent back this unit with pictures.  The two are drastically different as from the pictures attached.  He sent me back a unit that doesn't have my sticker attached and the housing to the unit all free from scratches.  @adspec1

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

@phcd1

Didn't know that about name and shame but it's true I will revise.

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

If the unit was shipped back to you from a different address then the one you shipped it to you might have a case.

Like I've been saying

YOU NEED TO CALL THE POLICE & FILE A REPORT for GRAND THEFT

The longer you wait the less chances you have of winning

Message 38 of 57
latest reply

Sellers can be thieves just like buyers can.

If you don't want to get the police involved it makes me think that maybe you're the one trying to pull the fast one!

Sellers know the in's and out's of ebay better then buyers do. . .

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

it was in the ship to address

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

@phcd1

can't seem to edit post,  can i not edit it??

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

it was in the ship to address

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. 

It doesn't matter what address it was shipped back from. What matters is that you did not get back the item that you sold. Keep the focus on that.

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

@phcd1

can't seem to edit post,  can i not edit it??

You get about 3-5 minutes or so after posting (I'm not sure of the exact duration, but it's short), within which time you can go back in to edit or make other repairs. Your edit option, while you have one, is found by clicking on the 3 dots at the upper right of the posting window, which will open into a pulldown menu in which "Edit Reply" will (temporarily) be the first option there.

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

EBay sided with the buyer and force the return through me.

That right there is why you lost the case and did not get a fee credit.  Truth is, the item was SNAD because you misrepresented its condition.

You sold an obviously used unit (first pic shows an installed bracket and wear to the front of the unit") as "new other" which is required to meet eBay's definition:

New other (see details)

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

You listed as "new other" but go on to describe it as "lab unit, seldom use" and "Auction for a barely lab unit".  Neither of those describe a NEW UNUSED ITEM, and the missing word, USED, in the phrase "auction for a barely lab unit" does appear to have been intentionally omitted for the purpose of maximizing the price!

Had you simply reported the buyer to eBay for sending back a different item and issued the refund (as you are required to do in a SNAD case), you would be richer by the amount of the eBay fee right now.  Then, after that, you could have pursued civil action, reporting to USPS, IC3, police, etc.

You also got a strike for case closed without seller resolution, which is the metric with the least tolerance for eBay sellers....

Why are you saying you did not get the PayPal fee refunded?  That is automatic on refund, but PayPal does keep the .30 processing fee.

Think about the way you described the end-buyer, the guy who took possession of the package...a buyer for a major corporation...and the likelihood that this guy who is doing his job is going to rip off an eBay seller for a lousy few thousand bucks...this buyer who has access to what, warehouses full of items costing tens of thousands and more?  WHO PAID FOR THE UNIT - THE END-BUYER'S PERSONAL CARD OR THE COMPANY CARD?!?

I don't think this is anything but a mistake and/or miscommunication, or a story without all the details.  The sticker isn't important...the serial number is important.  Different #, same #, what?!

You'll never win a mail-order case against a buyer in these situations. Consumer laws protect buyers. If the buyer had lost with eBay, he would NOT have lost a PayPal claim - or a chargeback.

But to reiterate - the item absolutely is factually SNAD based on your own failure to properly describe the item as used...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 44 of 57
latest reply

Can it not be barely used and sit in a cabinet and got scractched up? Then mount was on there to mount the unit.  It had not been installed in a machine.  I am seeking charges against the buyer and will file small claims shortly.  I am going to California anyways on a business trip and will file mail fraud also.  I do have his personal address from the shipping label.  

@*eponymous*

Message 45 of 57
latest reply