cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay sucks and is terrible for sellers

I sold piece of industrial equipment on eBay , listed as new (see details). As it was in the lab and had not been installed.   After the purchase.  The buyer had me drop shipped to his end customer the customer did not want it.  So his end customer shipped the unit back to him.  I said no returns accepted. And the reason he gave was that it is not new. 

EBay sided with the buyer and force the return through me.  This item cost over $2000 dollars so the final fees were over 200.   I didn't like it but they force my hand.  The problem was that the buyer then shipped a different non working unit back to me.  I told EBay about it and called the end customer to make sure that he sent back the correct one. The end customer was purchasing agent for a big manufacturing company and provided me with the pictures of my unit.(it had stickers on it.).  First pic is my unit second one is the picture of what I received.  I tested the equipment and all of the setup files are missing from the device.  So I pleaded with eBay not to refund the buyer.  No only did they sided with the buyer,  they are taking are also not refunding my final value fee.  EBay is does not work with sellers despite what they say on the web page.  I am out over $300, final value fee,  cost of return shipping and PayPal fee.  I would have been fine with it if the buyer had return my unit that was in working condition. So all in all seller beware!  they turn the cheek and let fraud be commited on their system and take their cut. I am going to Bonanza.  EBay sucks!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: EBay sucks and is terrible for sellers

@*eponymous*

New other (see details)
A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

"Or an unused items with defects..." and states see listing for further details...

truth is i I want my unit back.  Stealing is wrong not matter what EBay does.

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts For future reference...

Items that are listed in some categories in Business&Industrial http://www.ebay.com/rpp/business-industrial are exempt from the requirement to accept PayPal.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html#categories (click the link toward the bottom of the page)

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 47 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

@*eponymous*

New other (see details)
A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

"Or an unused items with defects..." and states see listing for further details...

truth is i I want my unit back.  Stealing is wrong not matter what EBay does.

Yes, of course we all agree with that. Don't miss my points.

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

Can it not be barely used and sit in a cabinet and got scractched up? Then mount was on there to mount the unit.  It had not been installed in a machine.  I am seeking charges against the buyer and will file small claims shortly.  I am going to California anyways on a business trip and will file mail fraud also.  I do have his personal address from the shipping label.  

@*eponymous*

New & unused - or defective with description in the listing - is eBay's definition.

Take my word for it - you misdescribed the item.

For a court case - you have no proof of what you sent, what the buyer received, or what you received back.  Stop spending good money after bad...no ethical atty would take your case.

File with IC3, file with his local police (the buyer can easily file the same report against you or simply deny it, it's a civil, not a police matter), file online with USPS...and then tell youself you have done what you could...and remember to (very seriously) assess your risks before you list for mail-order. eBay's handling of the case is the same that you can expect from any payment processor, and know that even bank-issued debit cards carry some chargeback rights.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

Can it not be barely used and sit in a cabinet and got scratched up? The mount was on there to mount the unit.  It had not been installed in a machine.  

In your original posting photos of the two units, which was the unit you sold? Is it the one showing the big white IP address sticker on it, or is it the one showing no sticker at all?

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

Considering it's grand larceny and the majority of paperwork involved with anything containing a serial number usually contains that serial number, I think he's got a pretty straight forward fraud and theft case.

Bigmotormania
Message 51 of 57
latest reply

@bigmotormania wrote:

Considering it's grand larceny and the majority of paperwork involved with anything containing a serial number usually contains that serial number, I think he's got a pretty straight forward fraud and theft case.

Especially if he has an original manufacturers slip or an original bill of sale.

If, as I assume based on what has been said, the person it was dropshipped to is from CA, I can tell you CA holds ridiculously high standards for business, their paperwork needs to basically be iron clad.

So if the buyer's buyer ordered the part for any sort of business, there's a lot going on here and more than likely a paper trail.

Bigmotormania
Message 52 of 57
latest reply

@hpnuts wrote:

I sold piece of industrial equipment on eBay , listed as new (see details). As it was in the lab and had not been installed.   After the purchase.  The buyer had me drop shipped to his end customer the customer did not want it.  So his end customer shipped the unit back to him.  I said no returns accepted. And the reason he gave was that it is not new. 

EBay sided with the buyer and force the return through me.  This item cost over $2000 dollars so the final fees were over 200.   I didn't like it but they force my hand.  The problem was that the buyer then shipped a different non working unit back to me.  I told EBay about it and called the end customer to make sure that he sent back the correct one. The end customer was purchasing agent for a big manufacturing company and provided me with the pictures of my unit.(it had stickers on it.).  First pic is my unit second one is the picture of what I received.  I tested the equipment and all of the setup files are missing from the device.  So I pleaded with eBay not to refund the buyer.  No only did they sided with the buyer,  they are taking are also not refunding my final value fee.  EBay is does not work with sellers despite what they say on the web page.  I am out over $300, final value fee,  cost of return shipping and PayPal fee.  I would have been fine with it if the buyer had return my unit that was in working condition. So all in all seller beware!  they turn the cheek and let fraud be commited on their system and take their cut. I am going to Bonanza.  EBay sucks!

Keep fighting eBay's appeals dept. and also point out that your unit has black marks on the cover and theirs is free of marks and scuffs.

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

This is becoming more and more common. eBay told me via phone today that "this is a risk you take when you sell things on the internet, there's nothing we can do."

I'm done with this den of thieves - I'll take my chances with craigslist and letgo.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

I stopped selling on ebay long ago.....I think I sold over $500,000 in the years I owned a business, but with the rules that ONLY protect the buyer I quick and gave up. I have had so many things broken and returned and eBay always siding with the buyer....

I can't believe anyone would still sell on this platfrom. I only keep my account open to buy things, but only rarely and only what I can't find on Amazon. 

and I always assume anything I buy from eBay is broken, 2nd, remanufactured or found in a trash dumbster ...

eBay chased off the GOOD sellers long ago.....

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

As others have stated, there is absolutely no way to prove that you sent out what was photographed. People have been there before you. Many sellers have reported here that they videotaped themselves sealing and depositing the box and lost cases like this.

You can still file a police report, though; and you can always hit them thru the BBB if they operate a business and you can link the sale to said business. Neither one will get you anywhere, but it will haunt them in the future if they keep up their unscrupulous acts.

It is possible you could have insured an item like this and filed a claim when it arrived not working; the insurance subrogation process would then possibly involve a fraud investigation and charge, but probably not. Either way, you'd have your money and it wouldn't be your problem.

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 57 of 57
latest reply