cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay steals more and more from sellers!

So, sellers, be careful! If eBay decides your “performance” is “below standard” you will be charged additional 6% of total value, adding up to 20%+ I total fees eBay will steal from your pocket! So, if you sell an item for $100, thinking that you will have to pay their claimed* 13% fee ($13) and you will be left with $87 - you are wrong! First of all, they will charge 13% of TOTAL Final amount, depending on taxes a buyer had to pay - let’s say a buyer paid $7 in taxes and $10 shipping charge (if you don’t provide free shipping) and TOTAL FINAL AMOUNT adds to $117 - it means that eBay will charge around $15, according to their policy. But, wait! If eBay decides your status is “below standard performance”, they will charge additional 6% from TOTAL FINAL AMOUNT! In our case it would be extra $7! $15+$7=$22

Ta-Da! Another way to steal money from sellers! So, we, as sellers should stop these practices somehow. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The way to avoid the additional FVF for being below standard would be to not be below standard I would think.

As far as I'm aware this is in YOUR control.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

The way to avoid the additional FVF for being below standard would be to not be below standard I would think.

As far as I'm aware this is in YOUR control.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Yes, that is how below standard works. It's not a conspiracy. The terms are clearly stated. 

Selling fees | eBay

• If your account doesn't meet our minimum seller performance standards for the US in the evaluation on the 20th of the month, you'll be charged an additional 6% on the final value fees applicable to sales in the following calendar month. Go to your Seller Dashboard to check your current seller level. This fee does not apply to Above Standard and eBay Top-rated Sellers
  • If your rate of 'Item not as described' return requests is evaluated in your service metrics as Very High in the evaluation on the 20th of the month in one or more categories, you will be charged an additional 5% on the final value fees for sales in those categories in the following calendar month. You can view your personalized service metrics on your Service Metrics dashboard in Seller Hub.
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

If you KNOW it's going to happen........how is it theft?          You can avoid it by not listing........

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Your feedback doesn't look too bad...

what did you do to rate "below standard"

remember, ebay doesn't "decide" your rating....you do

(based on your performance metrics)

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Perhaps eBay should return to days gone by when a seller did not meet the stated policy requirements their account would be terminated.

Fees are not hidden.

Standards to be maintained are not hidden.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Most folks here know to keep a watch on Seller Defect Rate AND Seller Metrics. 

Hope you can work your way back to above standard sooner than later.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

This is one of the main reasons behind more metrics and negative metric ability ebay is introducing against sellers.  Neutrals will now be considered as a negative against your account.  If post office is late, now they will ding your account.  Since ebay now goes ahead and estimates delivery times separate from carriers, if you are late off ebay's estimate of delivery, your account can be harmed.  And since buyers can abuse the inad system and lie, which ebay will do nothing about either in feedback or removing buyers who violate the return system, your account health will suffer from this type of scheme as well. 

All of this make it far easier for ebay to "plausibly" find (create) ways to knock a sellers account down so they can then increase fees from them.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

You ARE missing the point - it shouldn’t be up to eBay to decide how customers treat the seller. There are already enough metrics for buyers to choose if they want to but from you or not. Let me put it in a simpler way for you - you go to store and a cashier tells you - “Hey, you are below standard and I will charge you extra for that!”

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Indeed, that’s what I do now - listing the items everywhere else…

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@joboffermaker wrote:

Indeed, that’s what I do now - listing the items everywhere else…

Best of sales luck, Merry Christmas 

Posting ID
Message 11 of 37
latest reply

That’s exactly what is messed up and, unfortunately, the majority of people don’t get! 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

If you KNOW it's going to happen........how is it theft?          You can avoid it by not listing........

You can also avoid it by NOT FALLING BELOW STANDARD!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@joboffermaker wrote:

You ARE missing the point - it shouldn’t be up to eBay to decide how customers treat the seller. 

Who should it be up to?

I would think it should be up to ebay since they own the website.

If you don't like or agree with these standards, you don't have to sell here.

BTW You currently have 37 items listed.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Perhaps you should move to North Korea…

Message 15 of 37
latest reply